on 29 May 2014
What are the values that drive a flourishing individual (or community), and how can these best be served? This radical book puts humane values firmly at the centre, offering its target audience incisive analysis of five aspects of desire; questions to structure fresh thinking; and an abundance of brilliant practitioner case-studies, embracing cultures from across the world. It will inspire university students of business and marketing, but is also a hope-filled, generous book for any reader who cares about the future of the planet and is curious to understand our contemporary world. Written in lucid, precise and jargon-free prose, rich in brief narrative illustration, it is a joy to read.
on 6 April 2014
A fantastic book and a must-read for any brand manager, planner or strategist.

I wish we were given texts like this when I was at Uni!! Its really well researched, maintains a concise style & features insights from a great variety of recent case studies from around the world. It has sharpened my focus on the many emotional drivers shaping today's consumer behaviours how they inform brand strategies, as well as challenge my current thinking and approaches to shaping brand's roles and propositions.

I am Head of Strategy & Planning at a London based communications agency.
on 19 September 2014
I found this a fascinating, inspirational take on branding, exploring 'how to give consumers what they actually want' from a refreshing perspective of consumer altruism rather than personal gratification. The case studies cited go far beyond the usual big brand names to survey a realm of community-, environmental- and ecological-oriented initiatives such as the Grameen Bank, Fifteen, the Special Olympics, Ella's Kitchen... discussing concepts such as purpose, collaboration and co-creation. Consumer 'desire' here is positioned as a potentially positive push for good and this book presents an unusual view of brands as agents for change. The Brand Strategist's Guide to Desire is well-written, extremely interesting and thought-provoking. The idea of a new role for brands poses many important questions.
on 27 May 2014
Firstly this book is written by my commissioning editor, so let me get that out of the way. Regardless, I think if you practice branding, marketing or product development you will find inspiration for reframing your products in a useful way. A challenging way. But those who succeed at it will be onto something that's very much for our times.

This book is more like the humanities applied to marketing than like many marketing books that resemble themselves and each other. I found that to be a good thing and useful for inspiring new ideas.
on 24 April 2014
Lucid jargon-free prose; succinct and persuasive; a thesis which gives due space to practitioner voices. Refreshing and stimulating. I would recommend this to family, friends and every business colleague.