4.6 out of 5 stars4,466
Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£21.00

I really can't believe that in the first three months of the year I have come across three gems in "A Thousand Splendid Suns," "A Quiet Belief in Angels" and now "The Book Thief." Each of these books is different but they are all stunning in their own individual way.

The Book Thief is highly original, although it did remind me somewhat of my book of the year for 2007 "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas." The subject matter for both books is the Nazification of Germany. Both books look at things from the perspective of a child growing up in the most turbulent of times and both have a child-like simplicity that just adds to their powers.

The Book Thief is a beautiful book from start to finish. Indeed at times it is more of a scrapbook of a life than a novel. It has a strangeness that only enhances the subject matter. For a start it is narrated by death. But this never detracts from the shape or power of the novel as young lives are slowly ripped apart in a German Town where poverty is rife.

The central character Liesel has a beautiful calmness of spirit. She always seems to be on the verge of re-alisation whilst still retaining the fragility of childhood. Slowly and gradually the evil unfolds before her as she becomes aware of the fate of the Jews in a town where she is thrust as an unwilling refugee.

In her adopted father Hans Hubermann, Zusak has created one of those unforgettable men of strength and kindness. At first when Liesel is thrust into the Hubermann household I was expecting a hard-hearted couple keen to take the small amount of money that Lisel brings with her but not so keen to give her the love that she craves. Nothing could be more from the truth. Hans is open with his love and support whilst is wife is softer than she would ever want anybody to know.

There are passages where the book appears to be meandering and nothing much seems to be happening. There is a war on, but it isn't hugely affecting those involved in the story. But then you realise, almost by chance, that it is affecting every character, sometime directly and sometimes in a rather subtler way (if war can be subtle). Then comes a cataclysmic climax that is both sad and uplifting.

This is a very unusual book. It is a delight to read and never stodgy and once again I can only highly recommend it.
99 comments|405 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2013
I have always loved to read books since I was a kid, but until I got my kindle last summer, I rarely seemed to find the desire to read regularly. Now I have it, I have a huge list of books that I'm trying to get through and then write a review on. The books I have on there have been chosen by me for various reasons, some are recommendations from friends, some are ones I just liked the sound of, and others are taken from the reviews on here. The Book Thief falls into the first and last category, so I started reading with high expectations. Those expectations started off being met quite well, but very quickly deteriorated (within the first couple of chapters), and I struggled to finish it. The only reason I stuck with it was because it had been recommended to me so highly by someone who told me very passionately that it was her favourite book ever. She told me that if I didn't cry I must be a cabbage. I guess I am in fact a cabbage.

As in my title, I didn't hate it, but I definitely didn't like it...for various reasons. I thought the plot was lacking and boring in equal measures. I felt the author sees himself as some kind of poetic genius, when in actual fact a lot of the 'poetic' language (I use the term loosely, perhaps 'stylised' might be more suitable)was just totally ridiculous and pretentious. I'm all for stylised, creative language, but this just doesn't make sense most of the time. I'd give a few examples but they becamse too numerous after a while. I started to lose respect for the author quite soon into the book.

The book started with great promise I felt. I loved the novel idea of the narration by death but wrongly thought that was going to continue consistently throughout. It didn't. Obviously when nobody's dying he's not fully involved, but it continues to be narrated by him, which to me didn't make sense and made me feel disassociated from the characters. Death is not emotional, so you'd figure it would be impossible to create emotions in the reader and for me that was definitely the case. Maybe that's what the author intended...maybe he wanted the reader to remain a distant observer of a very significant time in history...I just can't work out why.

I liked the relationship between Liesel and Max, and Liesel and Hans, and that alone stops me giving the book just 1 star...ie hating it. But they didn't develop enough for me, they were very two-dimensional and we could never really get to know them.

All in all....TOTALLY unimpressed and cannot fathom the high ratings. But I guess that's the beauty of books....the appeal of different things for different people.
on 22 February 2008
I am not sure how to describe this book - without either giving too much away - or making it sound depressing and grisely which it is not at all. Suffice to say this is a novel narrated by death. It is the story of a young girl living in Nazi Germany, who goes to live with a foster family,and learns to read, and falls in love with: books, her new Papa, a boy called Rudy, and a Jew hiding in a basement. It is also a story of WW2 - from a persepective we don't often see - ordinaary Germans - some of whom were members of "The Party."

Death takes the reader by the hand, and leads us through the lives and deaths of people in Liesel's world, he kind of "gives the game away" a few times - and yet that never spoils it - it prepares the reader for what's ahead.
This is an astonishing book - the writing is great - an unusual style - but one that fits perfectly somehow with the voice of Death - and that of the unforgettable Liesel.
22 comments|290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2007
Sometimes a fictional interpretation of history is exactly what we need in order to be able to come to a real understanding of what it meant to live through historic events, particularly horrific ones. Markus Zusak provides us with a masterful interpretation of the Nazi period of German history from the perspective of ordinary people suffering through it and striving to keep their lives together and their souls alive and kicking within the horrific and ever-tightening boundaries constructed by the Nazi regime. He gives us a gut-wrenchingly palpable empathy for people facing harrowing decisions on a daily basis. His marvelous characters bring to life the dilemmas of those who believe they should help the Jews as well as the equally nightmarish predicament of Jews who through receiving help put others in danger. We see much of this through the perspective of the main character Liesel, who is only a young girl. Her innocence and the gradual realizations she comes to about the events swirling around her in a maelstrom of horror evoke a remarkable empathy in the reader. If you want to understand how the little people cope with such tragic historic events without allowing their souls to be crushed, read this book. Ultimately it is a portrait of the resilience and hope of the human spirit.
0Comment|223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2008
I am ambivalent towards this book. The writing style was definitely unique; I enjoyed the frequent intermissions by the narrator, which gave the story a light-hearted and a nostalgic back-in-your-childhood feel. The ending was particularly well done - poignant, perhaps tear-jerking for many readers.

However, I felt the characterisation altogether a little weak - there were very few characters I could care about; many of them appear to be cardboard cutouts of stereotypical personalities. The story meanders a lot in the middle of the book without much really happening and most of the events seem to have no purpose at all. All in all, I don't know what this book wants to be. It doesn't deliver the full atmosphere of what it was like living in Nazi Germany, as I had expected; nor is it a simple idyllic bildungsroman. It is neither happy nor depressing; its target audience appears to be neither for adults nor for children. Many would undoubtedly argue that it is precisely this ambiguity that makes the book so enjoyable; I believe it is a matter of taste whether you like those kinds of books or not.

If there is one word I would sum up the book with, it would be 'clever' - the structure certainly is ingenious and the narration with Death works very well in some parts. However, I do think that Zusak had tried a tad too hard; I felt the basics of a good book - the characters, the plot and writing style - had suffered as a result of pursuing style over content. While some people (as testified by the many positive reviews) would love this book, others will find it is not entirely up their street. Try it, and find out!
55 comments|183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2015
I frequently use amazon user reviews as a guideline in my new literature purchases.
Going by the excellent reviews it got, and the fact that I saw there was a movie release with the same title, I decided to give it a chance - probably expecting too much.

The perspective of the book, narrated by death is an interesting one. The story, however, is one I had thought to be far more interesting and adventurous. It is most definitely true you start to sympathize with the characters, especially Papa in my case.
But I can't help feel that I was reading a young adult book which simply didn't deliver for me.

About midway through the book, I decided I would read it in its entirety - not because I wanted to, but just because I felt I had come too far to simply stop.
The book thief had its moments, but it didn't make a lasting impression (for this reader).
on 15 September 2008
I picked this book up in an airport on a whim. I liked the cover. It took a couple of months to open it up, but once I did, I could NOT put it down. I (foolishly) took it with me on vacation. I did NOT see the sights, because I stayed in my room all day and all night until I finished the book, sometimes laughing, sometimes crying hysterically.

This book is haunting, beautiful, and moving-but not in a sappy way. My family is Jewish, and suffered loss due to the Holocaust. But lots of people have similar stories, and have told them. They are all important, and moving, but this is completely unique, because it's not primarily about the Jews (though they are in the book).

I have to admit, I have never once thought about what it was like for regular, working class citizens to live in Nazi Germany. Or what it was like for their children. There were other innocent victims of the Nazi regime than the ones who died in the camps. Zusak vividly brings to life these special, imperfect and at the same time PERFECT characters and makes you experience their lives as if they were your own. I felt what they felt, saw what they saw, lost what they lost. And, I finished this book crying like a baby. I cried for at least half an hour. And it was wonderful.

A boy with hair the color of lemons broke my heart the night I finished reading this book. (You will understand what that means when you read it.) But I am glad he did. I would never have known him, otherwise.

READ THIS BOOK!!!!!
0Comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
...which is somewhat ironic for a book that is all about words and their power. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it - rattled through it in the space of a day - but I don't quite know how to describe it. This novel wrong-footed me in many places: I'd expect one thing and it would deliver something entirely different.I found the narration of Death a little jarring in places, but by and large it works wonderfully well. Zusak's use of language is wonderful, some of the imagery and descriptive passages and just exquisite. And the characters are all delightfully drawn, from the Hitler-worshipping shop-owner Frau Diller to Max, the young Jew hiding secretly in the basement. Definitely well-worth a read.
on 22 January 2008
I was slightly disappointed in the first sections of the book as going on other reviews I expected to be enthralled from the start. Very glad that I persevered though, as the descriptive narrative from Death as the book progressed was fantastic.

The characters are as believable as I would think possible to a reader that has no first hand experience of the situation, and as the pages turn you find yourself hoping that Death doesn't really visit the book thief three times - not a spoiler, it's the text from the cover!

All in all, I enjoyed the book and will recommend it to friends, but just not one of my favourites hence the 4 star rating.
on 21 September 2008
This book will not be to everyone's taste but let me say that I found it stunningly different from the type of book I'd usually read. Initially the narrative seems strange but equally it's immediately compelling and I loved the way Death told us the story of the book thief. It's a profoundly moving story and is even more so because of the writing style.
Childhood innocence, adult brutality, love, loss, thievery, humanity, faith and death are all here and I define anyone not to fall in love with this special little girl.
Perhaps once or twice in a lifetime does a book move you in this way - it will stay with you for days afterwards.