This is a fantastic book - it took me by surprise in terms of the variations and how good the few things I have made from it taste.... So far it has been a complete success. I've not had the book long yet, but so far the results are fab.

The book not only has really morish and delicious recipes, it also contains health tips, weight loss tips, and what constitutes a health way of eating. So it is far more than a simple recipe book.

The chapters are:

Intro, followed by...
* love your blender
* healthy ideas to blend in
* smoothies and shakes
* appetisers, snacks, sips and spreads
* salads
* soups
* the main event
* desserts
* drinks, juices and tonics
* condiments, sauces and creams

The book is absolutely packed full of information, which is written in an engaging but educational way. This ranges from super foods, antioxidants and vitamins through to practical storage advice.

The book contains some really excellent photographs, which for me is really important in any recipe book.

Overall, I have so far found this book to be inspiring and full of really practical ideas, and recipes which are ingenious and unique.

Recommended.
on 1 March 2015
Rather than a vegan recipe book focusing on smoothies and other quick-to-make-in-a-blender goodies, as I was expecting, I found this to be more of a guide to following food fads: there's food combining, alkaline diet, raw food diet, as well as probiotics and gluten-free. For me it was too faddy, with lots of on-trend ingredients, like chia seeds, stevia sweetener (although to be fair in one or two places she does mention alternatives), various powders and 'superfood' berries - you get the idea. In the 40-page introductory section, before getting to the recipes, there's some rather dubious and confused science to support the health claims behind food combining and acid/alkaline balance.

There were a few recipes that appealed - a couple of tasty dips for example, and 2 vegan cheeses that use a dessicator (low oven for me) to create texture, but some of the best are available on the Blender Girl website anyway. There was also a quite useful 4 pages on creating your own smoothie blends, although I was disappointed that so many of the 12 smoothie recipes contained sweetener. I found most of the recipes for soups & salads quite generic - nothing leapt out at me as 'wow - original!'.

If this is a way of eating that works for you, then fair enough, but for me it's definitely not a keeper - In a year or two it will probably seem quite dated as new food trends emerge. I think Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Happy Herbivore & Oh She Glows do quicker, easier, more healthy vegan food that will stand the test of time far better.
on 13 August 2014
and super-delicious. Bought the book to try before giving it as a present and now I want to give it to everyone! I've had the book two weeks and already made loads of the recipes - from Chimichurri to apple pear butter, almond butter, mushroom stroganoff, olive tapenade, and quite a lot more. As someone inexperienced with vegan cooking it is a great eye-opener and a great complement to my normal cooking. I bought it for the fact that they are blender recipes as I am dreaming of a Vitamix but the book suggested non high speed blenders could also do the job and I have discovered that my Philips blender, while it cannot do everything that my Mom's Vitamix can do, can certainly do all the recipes in this book!
on 4 July 2014
This book is amazing!It's exciting and inspiring. I've made heaps from it already, and all have been great. Everything is vegan and very healthy, not massive effort (blender does all the hard work) and very tasty.
This is not all sloppy pureed foods. The recipes are superb, even my kids are getting into them. Also, it's beautifully presented, lots of photos. It's been used everyday for a whole month! Love it!
on 16 July 2014
Highly recommended book to everyone who cares. Great advices, sources... Perfectly done. A gift for all my friends.
on 27 June 2014
I am loving this book - all the recipes are easy to prepare.... I'm lazy in the kitchen but this book has me wanting to try new recipes every day because the food looks so yummy!
on 28 July 2014
At last, someone who knows about food combining in this context and knows that protein starches are not the simple answer.
on 19 May 2014
As a vegan and smoothie fan I have downloaded several smoothie (green) books and just as you are getting interested you are confronted with "book 2 contains..." which makes me feel so conned. This book however, is really great value with many recipes and loads of valuable explanations about why and what for etc etc. Fantastic reading and great value, highly recommended.
on 16 January 2016
I am a nutritional therapist and stumbled across Tess' Blender Girl website, lots of delicious gluten free, vegan, packed with veggies recipes. I am a lazy cook - I like my food to arrive fast, healthy and tasty and to be easy-peasy to make. Why not just use the website? Well, I like a book to leaf through and share with others and I like time away from the electromagnetic drain of my laptop. It's a useful book for any lazy cook, for anyone looking to add some healthy foods easily into their diets, easily.
on 9 June 2014
interesting enough read and the recipes look pretty good and I did learn a few things (mainly about ph) - but some of the sources she cites are pretty much debunked - which is a shame. View it as a recipe book rather than guidance on nutrition and it's pretty good