- Paperback: 24 pages
- Publisher: Shire Publications Ltd (Jan. 1987)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 085263854X
- ISBN-13: 978-0852638545
- Product Dimensions: 21 x 15 x 0.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 71,318 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
The Blackbird (Shire natural history) Paperback – Jan 1987
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Dr David Snow MA, DPhil,DSc, began to study Blackbirds in the 1950s when he was a member of the Edward Grey Institute of Field Ornithology at Oxford. Since then he has carried out ornithological research in Trinidad, South America and the Galapagos Islands and has been Director of Research at the British Trust for Ornithology. Before retiring in 1984 he was a senior scientist at the Sub-department of Ornithology, British Museum (Natural History).
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
My "flock" here of at least 4 males are very tame- they'll come within 2 foot of where I'm sitting to stuff their beaks with mealworms or raisins from the low ground table. Or they'll perch on the opposite chair and demand grub. So I'm still not very sure if they were uttering a "chook chook" to inform other blackbirds that I am a ground based predator or "chuck" as a young bird begging for food. I suppose it's kind of in the pronunciation. There's a fair bit I can now look out for including dominant and submissive poses thanks to this little book. Whether behaviour has changed with declining thrush populations in the last 21 years is a moot point. Still it's a good starting point to observe this now surprisingly tame species.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Birds
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Habitats
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Conservation
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Environment
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Fishing, Birdwatching & Other Outdoor Pursuits > Birdwatching