Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 November 2010
I bought this book for my 8 year old after reading the reviews in an attempt to encourage him to read something other than his lego magazine, he has just finished reading it to his Dad and its been a real hit. My son has spent the last 10 minutes telling me the story in great detail and my usually stoical (and thrifty) husband was moved enough to suggest I order more books by this author... unheard of!
on 26 January 2012
I bought this for my 7 year old for christmas based on the great reviews. We have just read it together and I was surprised by how much it moved me. It is wonderfully written and pulls you straight into the story from the first page and you feel an empathy and compassion for the characters you have barely got to know. This book should be on the curriculum in all schools to truly educate about the human side of war. My daughter probably missed some of the subtleties and themes given her age but I know it will be one we will revisit and she will get more out of as she gets older. That said her parting words were "why can't people just play football instead of fighting" - from the mouth of babes!
on 20 June 2005
I borrowed this picture book for the local library for my youngest child, without really looking at it. When I read it I was absolutely blown away and ordered it from Amazon the same day. Michael Foreman's illustrations and Michael Murpurgo's story work extremely well together to draw you into the book, involving you in the characters and their lives. The ending illustration left me with goosebumps and a feeling of joy for the characters involved. Perhaps my teenage daughter's reaction best sums up this book: "WOW!"
0Comment|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2011
My children enjoyed it, My eldest grandchild hears it on the simplest of levels and my Yr 5 class enjoy it, feel it and discuss it. And me.... every time I read it it moves me!
on 14 December 2008
This is a wonderful book. It only takes about 5 minutes to read, but as with any of Michael Morpurgo's books, every word counts. The ending had me in tears - very moving. I recommend this book to anyone who has a heart.
on 14 October 2004
This is what this author, the current children's laureate, does best. He has taken a familiar story - in this case Christmas Day in the trenches of 1914 - and given it a contemporary twist which delivers poignance and pathos. It all begins when an old letter is discovered in an antique desk...
If you already know Morpurgo's work then you won't be disappointed. And if you don't yet know his writings, which run to over 100 published books, then this little gem is as good a place as any to begin.
0Comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2011
This book is just beautiful - the illustrations further enhance a very touching story. Read this to my class at school and it had them mesmorised.
on 18 January 2011
I saw this story in a newspaper a few years ago but skipped it because of the dense copy and lack of pictures. A big mistake as in a picture book format the story really works. It's ideal for kids of 8-9 and above and is set during the Xmas day truce in WWI.

It's a lovely under-stated story that captures the movement of time as it flows back and forth between the events of almost a 100 years ago and the legacy left today. More importantly it states how love keeps people going even in our last days of life. It isn't a depressing story at all - but it does make you think in the midst of all the festive excesses.

We read the story to our three on Xmas Eve and they all enjoyed it (apart fom the three year old!) and it bought gh a different perspective on Christmas.
on 10 November 2012
A book about war that is written in a way that children can understand. Bought for my grandson as his father enjoys reading about war and watching documentaries about war. I think they will both enjoy reading this book together
on 18 December 2010
this book is what i brought my friends 3 girls ages varying from 5 - 10 yrs old and i thought i'd read it first to make sure it was appropriate for them... as i read it i found it very moving remembering being told something like it at school... brilliant book for kids who are able to comprehend the moral of the story :D a lovely story all in all....