Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 4 May 2011
Whether you are quite an expert at gardening with widlife in mind, or just have an interest, this is a book which will delight. It is really well written with a delightful sense of humour making it easy to read but it is never patronising nor self important. If you want to get going with plants for bees this is the book to read.The photos inspire, the informative tables of flowering times are easy to use and the planting plans very helpful as well as being delighful to look at. The organisation of the book makes it very user friendly even down to having an informative contents page. After guiding us through what bees need and what makes a bee-friendly garden, Ms Little goes on to describe the plants and gardening jobs season by season. This book manages to combine thoroughness with a light touch that makes it immensely enjoyable throughout. Very much A Delight.
on 1 July 2012
This book offers interesting reading about all types of bees, though it is mostly about the honey bee. It explains why the honey bee is attracted to different plants and has excellent and usable lists of plants and their flowering times, as well as some good garden designs. It's worth buying for these things alone.

However, while some might find the author's anecdotes delightful, this reader found them laboured, and she does tend to write about herself a fair bit. Given that she takes the decline in bee numbers seriously - nothing less than the entire ecosystem is at stake, she tells us - it would have been more interesting and appropriate if she'd left more space to explore this issue and offered her views on it. While she does briefly mention colony collapse disorder, I found it odd that she doesn't also mention that pesticides, such as neonicotinoids, have been implicated in this, especially as she is wary of pesticides herself and avoids using them in her own garden.

All that said, my biggest problem with the book was its binding. I've only had it about a month and pages are already beginning to fall out. A real shame because I do think it is a book worth hanging on to, despite my criticisms.
22 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2011
This book is excellent! It offers both a good read and can be used as a reference book. I could not resist reading it cover to cover as soon as it arrived and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The author's writing is informative as well as being witty and she clearly has a fabulous knowledge of what the bees really need when they visit your garden and how they view your garden. Not just in the summer...lots of information about plants and flowers that will help by offering the early pollen which is essential in the early months and provide nectar for bees right through the seasons. The book gives lots of advice about gardening, so it would also be useful for a beginner gardener as well as the more experienced. The photography is beautiful. The information about bees is fascinating, predominantly referring to Honeybees, but other bees and insects are included and photographed which has helped me identify who is who in my own garden. There are planning ideas for herb gardens which I would like to have had more of but it does not detract from the book at all as there is plenty of information about herbs. The book is very well laid out,printed on good quality paper and a pleasure to read.I have recommended it to many friends who have also bought copies. It would make a great present as the book is a good size too. Very highly recommended!
on 22 February 2012
This book was bought with relatively little knowledge about bees, and would happily recommend to anyone with an interest in the enivronment. It is well set out and easy to understand and encourages you to think you can make a difference within your own garden, however big/small. I have learnt so much and now look upon bees more respectfully, especially when you read of their lives and the important work they do for us.
Flower/plant information for bees is exceptionally, together with incorporating relevant shrubs. Shall be reorganising my planting and growing more from seed, (although I only have a small area available for this). The more you read, the more you feel you can make a difference. Its written in such a way that its made easy to dip in and out of to refresh your understanding. Could make an acceptable gift for any garden/environment orientated person.
on 6 August 2011
This is an excellent and practical book which should appeal to a wide range of gardeners, wildlife enthusiasts and bee keepers. I saw it at a garden centre and researched the content before buying as so many books can promise much and deliver little. This book is EXCELLENT and really helpful. The best on garden plants I have seen, it seasonal guidance etc - and it mentions Helenium - yippee - great for colour, cutting, wildlife and bees - and over many months. I do hope that many people buy it and thus improve the quality of all our gardens and wildlife.
on 9 June 2011
I wish to make my garden more bee friendly, have considered keeping bees but decided against it. However what this book provides is very interesting and provides an easy to use resource for someone who knows not alot about gardening. However having said that if you did know alot i am sure it would be an equally useful resource.
It is well laid out, easy to dip in and out of and gives a plan of how to plant your garden for bees in an easy to use format

Overall an excellent book and I would recommend to anyone who was trying to provide both a good garden for bees as well as a productive and beautiful garden for three seasons
on 4 May 2011
This is a fascinating read packed with information and photographs which has inspired me to examine my garden for bee-friendly plants. The personal anecdotes are charming and the style of writing relaxed. I would thoroughly recommend this book to all who are interested in gardening and maintaining a bee-beneficial environment. I enjoyed this book so much that I have bought several copies for my family and friends.
This is a very nice book, full of ideas and pictures, and with some handy garden planners for a 'real' garden or border. It is great for beginners, but not really if you want to go beyond that because it only concentrates on standard herbaceous plants and herbs. The herbs are great, and I'm sure will improve the flavour of the honey, but I would have liked to have seen some trees, hedge plants, eye-catchers and other dramatic plants. My neighbour has a garden open to the public, full of rare and exotic plants. Often as not, my bees go over there, so I know for a fact that the bees go mad for salvias, sedums, giant echiums and the stunningly scented flowers of Euphorbia mellifera. (They are also passionate about the flowers in our laurel hedge and the cotoneaster seems to be their equivalent of a chocolate feast.) I was hoping that this book would give me ideas for some stunners to put in my own garden, but although it has given me some ideas, it lacks excitement. Maybe the author could do a follow-up book on pepping up your bee border.
on 29 December 2013
This is in the middle tier of my favourite bee books.I would describe it as slightly more scientific than some of my others, although a scientist probably wouldn't. It's largely an index of useful plants with their benefits explained. I don't mind reading indexes, and if you have knowledge of the plants already that is helpful as there are not a great deal of pics. Towards the back of the book are plans of how to put the plants together in a border, but I didn't find that greatly helpful. If you are already a gardener, wanting to find out more beneficial plants, and are 'a reader' this is a suitable book. If you are not a gardener as such, but want to create a bee garden I wouldn't pick this book. I think it has attempted to aim at the new gardener with how to put borders together, but I would have preferred more pics as a new gardener, so I knew what the plants were.
on 23 May 2013
A very readable book with a chatty style, full of helpful practical advice for people wanting to attract bees to their garden.
The charts with flowering schedules are particularly good if you are seeking to ensure there are foraging plants for bees for as much of the year as possible. The choice to use Latin names of plants in the text with the common name in brackets, rather than the other way round, made it a bit less user-friendly for non-botanists than it might have been. I will certainly recommend this book to friends and give it as a gift. We all need to be doing our bit for the bees!