on 11 February 2002
The book does give a good account of the development and evolution of the battlehip from the days of wood and canvas to steel and steam overall. However both the beginning and end are to brief. Neither provide enough information. The book does not really detail the development of the first battelships, neither does it explanin why they were removed from battlefleets. If you want to learn about battleships watch the series. Its alot better than the book.
on 12 November 2000
A good review of the development of the battleship from the "Mary Rose" to the giant capital ships of World War 2. Whilst the accounts from the days of wood and canvas are as good as any that I have read, the section which deals with the twentieth century is, I have to say, laden with errors, despite much use being made of interviews with naval historians, experts and even some who served on the ships. Personally, I like the use of survivors accounts, not only of actions in which the ships were involved, but how they felt when they were in battle. I feel that these excerpts from interviews with surviving sailors, and some airmen who attacked some of the ships, helps to redeem the book for the errors. One error in particular stands out from the rest. With all the reasearch that has gone into the television series that this book accompanies, one would think that they would be able to publish the correct date of the Japanese Surrender at the end of WWII. That is really the only major error, and without it, I would be persuaded to ignore the others, but it did affect my overall opinion of this work. Perhaps I'm just too critical ?!?