Format: Hardcover|Change

on 31 August 2007
When I opened this book it fell to the page of my favourite poem...."She walks in beauty" - Lord Byron, from then on I looked on in awe of the beautiful illustrations describing the wonderful poetry.

This is not just for adults, as I have shown and read some of the poetry to the children in school were I work, as they shared this lovely book. Actually ordering more to give as gifts.
on 6 December 2006
This is a beautiful selection of poems NOT just for children but classics for everyone which chart life's events from birth to death, with everything in between. Jackie Morris' illustrations are stunning and magical, and tell the story of the poems literally and wonderfully. I have bought this book for children & an adult who loved it equally. A lovely Christmas gift.
on 31 May 2013
This is a brilliant collection. I was not a big fan of poetry but this collection of poems have totally made me one. The drawings are such a delight. I read it aloud to my 2 year old at bed time for two days and thought she wasn't much involved. On the third day, when I skipped the book, she ran out,fetched it and asked me to read "poety". It has been a night time ritual for the last 6 weeks to pick out poems, discuss the illustrations and read the poems. I keep reading aloud till she falls asleep; then, read some more for my own pleasure!

While playing with her toys, I hear her reciting a few lines here and there to her dolls, lego man and firemen. This is the best thing I ever got her, I feel.
on 11 December 2012
This is a really lovely book both to look at and to read. The poetry is well chosen, some accessible to young children carrying on through to everyone who loves words. I bought this for my friend who is 60 and for my God daughter who is 6. Oh and a copy for myself!
on 19 April 2012
I am becoming a little obsessed with Jackie Morris - her illustrations are incredibly beautiful and sum up the magic I find in stories and poems. Of all the books I've bought I think this is my favourite - although my son would argue that Tell Me A Dragon is definitely the best. It combines Jackie's magical drawings with the most wonderful poems to engage, challenge and inspire children and adults. Keep them coming Jackie.
on 28 November 2013
I have bought this as a Christmas present so have not yet seen what my child will make of it. But I think she'll love it. She is seven and keen to read poems, but sometimes needs help with choosing one that she'll like, and I think the pictures will give her a way in that she will understand, even when she's reading on her own.
I am glad they're poems that I remember too, as well as some that are new to me, and I'm hoping she'll read me some while I get supper ready!
on 24 January 2014
This is such a pretty book, with a good selection of classic poems from the sweet and simple to the deep and meaningful. I bought it for my mother, who loved poetry and now has severe dementia. Yesterday I sat with her and read some of the works with her and discussed the artwork, She seemed to find it soothing and I was enchanted too - I think I will buy several more copies, to include one for myself!
on 4 November 2013
Such a lovely book for all ages - even those not particularly interested in poetry. Absolutely love it. A very good reference book too.
on 12 July 2013
Great book for bedtime reading, our children love it, they go straight to sleep, each have their own favorite, as do we as parents
on 31 March 2015
This is the most beautiful book. Classic poetry and the Jackie Morris artwork is incredible.