on 29 September 2005
This book has everything you need to know about ballet, It covers history, essential ballets, class etiquette, terminology with pictures, stretches and a healthy eating section which also helps identify eating diorders and how to avoid them. This book places emphasis on finding the right teacher, having a beautiful and healthy ballet body and learning steps correctly with visualisations of how each step should feel to the dancer. This book is good for both young and old as it has a section for the adult beginner and also those children who come 'late' to ballet with good tips on pointe shoes, how they fit, how to sew ribbons and elastics etc. It also has a section on how to have the perfect ballet bun which is always helpful:)
This book literally covers everything and would be a perfect gift for anyone beginning ballet as it really is a companion that like an experienced ballet teacher can impart knowledge whenever it is requested
on 21 April 2006
I bought this book as a present for someone who is learning ballet and I've received very positive comments about this book. I have to say that this book gives you a rough guide from A to Z of ballet for beginners, like how to select a good ballet shoes, a brief history of ballet, and various techniques from different school (RAD, Russian, etc...) My present was much appreciated for the detail it gives and I would recommend it for anyone who wants a companion for ballet.
on 8 June 2009
I am a Royal Academy of Dance registered ballet teacher and this has to be the best ballet book I have ever come across! It includes everything, there are lots of photos and diagrams to maintain interest and it's very well broken down. This is probably suitable for ballet students aged about 12+
on 14 May 2007
I read this book originaly as a refresher for barre. I'm a begining belly dancer that wanted to go back to my ballet roots to improve my current genre. I found my barre, but also found one of the best overview book on ballet for the dancer. For those getting started, this book explains quite well what your getting into if you want to be a serious dancer. I would recommend this book as essential reading for any beginner dancer. This book does a wonderful job of connecting ballet history with ballet technique. Part four, the healthy dancer, takes a look at the physical side of being a dancer.This is the only book I've found that honestly looks at ballet injuries and their prevention. This chapter alone would make this book valuable to an experienced dancer.
on 29 November 2007
An excellent companion for any aspiring dancer, or even some one who simply does it for a hobby.
It contains everything you need to know, from how to sew your ribbons, to even history of ballet, to exercises for your muscles and injury prevention.
a dance must have
on 13 November 2009
I bought this book for my daughter many years ago and she absolutely loves it. It is the type of book than you read from cover to cover when you recieve it but also again and again afterwards. There are some helpful exercises in the book which my daughter has found really useful and benificial to her dance training.
on 7 June 2010
This book is excellent, I bought it beacuse I needed a really good ballet book to refer to for all my steps and also for the history of ballet. I was not dissapointed, when I got it I was suprised at the detail. It is good for beginners, Intermediat and advenced, the book suitable for ages 9+.
on 4 April 2010
I bought this book as a gift for my sister, who has been doing ballet lessons for a couple of months now. The book is really attractive and makes a lovely gift. She has told me that she has been reading it and found it really interesting.
on 1 October 2014
I am a ballet fan but not a ballerino and I wanted a not overly technical description of the steps in ballet. This book is the answer, so I now know my Petit from my Grand Allegro, arabesque from attitude, cabriole from entrechat......Also the evolution of ballet is outlined in the 'blue' sections interspersed throughout the book, with references to the Bournonville, Cechetti and Vaganova styles. For young debutants there is ample advice on 'getting started',class,work at the barre and on pointe. And I have at last found out what 'Barre au Sol' (Jun Takeda DVD) means from the interesting sections on exercise and staying healthy as a dancer. This includes details on the early 20th.c.German,Joseph Pilates. The Companion concludes with a 'Must See Ballets' section, including modern and contemporary dance,a detailed chronology and a full glossary of ballet terms. This is a useful overview of the ballet world, both for the practitioner and for the interested spectator.
on 20 July 2011
I am 23 and I started ballet for the first time 3 months ago. I found this book so helpful. It helped me understand the basic terminology. The interesting storys throughout was great. I enjoyed reading it as well as learning from it. i would highly recommend this book for anyone with an interest in ballet.