Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 May 2008
As a parent, grandparent and teacher I am fascinated by this amazing book. We put our own interpretations on to what we think babies are thinking and feeling and this super book gives a completely different story. It is highly informative, funny and fascinating. It is also very accessible for lay people like me. If you have any involvement with babies and very young children, I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 14 June 2009
I absolutely love this book! As a clinical psychologist with a background in developmental psychology, I've had enough of the "How to" guides to parenting that suggest the 'wrong' and 'right' ways to bring up a child. What Charles Fernyhough does, through The Baby in the Mirror, is illuminate the much neglected concept of the child as an individual. The need to relate to and understand a child as a unique person in his/her own right quickly becomes clear, rendering the "one size fits all' approach to child rearing rightly obselete.

This book manages to demonstrate, in an accessible way, how some of the latest scientific research can be applied to help us make sense of and understand the world of a young child. This is enhanced by Fernyhough's tender and sensitive recollections of his daughter's early years. It really is a beautifully written book.

I have bought copies of this book for most of my friends and family members with young children and it has been a resounding success. I don't think there's anything else quite like it currently on the market and I really can't recommend it highly enough.
on 22 July 2008
I bought this book after an excellent Guardian Family section piece, with an interest in psychology (and psychotherapy) - I wasn't disappointed. It is beautifully written and interweaves scientific detail with a touching, at times funny and personal father's account of his own child's journey of discovery and mental growth. The level of understanding, as the previous reviewer states, is perfect for trained psychologist and layman alike and the text is written in a non-patronising and non-assuming manner. Charles Fernyhough's passion for this subject and his personal investment in this project shines through in this book and although there are times you know he wishes he could put the camera/notebook/tape recorder down and just enjoy the moment, his commitment to sharing his findings is to be applauded.
on 29 April 2014
Anyone who's interested in the mind of a child will enjoy this book. I particularly enjoyed the first part about the development of a baby's brain, even from conception. A very original book full of scientific fact as well as a father's poignant observations of his little girl. A lovely read.
on 12 June 2009
I had been looking for a long time for a book which would give me some insight into congnative development rather than physical developement. I got a huge amount out of it and could read it again for more.
on 27 November 2008
I really enjoyed this. It's intelligent, thoughtful and heartwarming. So much is written about mothers and their children that it's great to have a different perspective. There's lots of really interesting child development research that I knew nothing about, but it's far from being a dry text book read. This is a book that should be essential for anyone working with young children or interested in Psychology, but it's not just for students or practitioners, it's a good read.
I'd recommend it to anyone without children and everyone with them!
on 11 June 2013
I read this book through my first daughter's first year and loved comparing her progress to the baby in the book.
on 6 February 2015
The book is brilliantly written and presents an account or a diary of child's development. It might have been my mistake, but I expected it to have information with the help of which I would be able to understand my baby's psychology better. I understand that no research can be done to uncover such little babies' thinking and we can only make our own conclusions.
I should say that the language and the depth of the description is touching and wonderful.
on 20 June 2013
A skilfully related journey - weaving science and fascinating story. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Would like to read Athena's review sometime...
on 18 February 2014
This is a great book which charts the language development of babies. Very accessible to the non-expert and beautifully written.