on 8 July 2012
Interesting and educational however, it can seem a heavy read. A good academic text though and I can happily say that I've expanded my vocabulary. No joke, I had to have a dictionary at my side at one point. I can happily say that the brief history of Islam and then showing where this branch came from was an amazing addition. It broadens your mind to the bigger picture in many ways instead of focusing purely on the one sect. This helps avoid the elaboration of the myths, which the writer intricately wove into the story as a possibility and explains why it may not be true.

Now I know that many who have read this will have done so as a result of the fascinating realms of the Assassin's Creed series. It does not exactly turn into a rendition of the game, but to the discerning eye the influence to many aspects of the mere concept are moderately influenced by the reality of it all. For instance, the whole eagle thing in the game is most likely related to Alamut which is named after the phrase 'Aluh Amut' which means 'The Eagle's Teaching'. I would suggest that you do not read this unless you want the bleak reality of the Nizari Ismaili's. Luckily, Islam fascinates me. Marvellous read.
on 26 May 2011
Wait this is Assassins Creed! Of course it is! Read the blooming thing, you have the guy dressed as a monk - but no cool dagger up the arm that springs out to stab the knight that was starting that fight, which is a shame. Shame on you Marco Polo, missing that part out of the stories - and then we have the Old Man of the Mountain, who in this book doesn't start vanishing into think air, in this book he just seems to say a few things and lead one or two pretty cool missions, which this damn book explains probably didn't happen in the cool way we had heard.

This is actually one of those books that decides to give us the chance to actually learn about an old tale by actually boring us by giving us the actual truth. UUURRRGGGHHHH!!!

To be honest, this is the sad facts that we don't know the truth of a subject. The tales of the Assassins came to us from Marco Polo, a man who traveled the world seeing sights none of the western world had ever seen, so as all men, he lied. Well that is a bit of a harsh statement, probably the fair thing to say is that if he was in the modern world he would probably be one of those gits who exaggerate how great the Iphone is compared to all other minion phones. This book therefore tells us that Polo did push the boat out a fair bit, so we are brought back to earth by being truthful and giving us facts, real facts. Facts that tell us that those fun stories that Marco Polo had told are actually a load of rubbish.

So you can read an interesting book about facts, which is actually an interesting read, with a few interesting parts, or you can ignore it and just play Assassins Creed and believe that it is fairly close to the actual truth (without the strange orb type things and the Eagle Vision)

If you do decide to , you've actually bothered to extend you mind and I applaud you good sir. Let's all read this, and many other books, expand our minds to the truth that maybe video games aren't true, and with that nor are films, TV shows, and fantasy books (I've never met a Hobbit no matter how hard I tried).