Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 15 April 2010
I've been a big fan of all of Laurie R King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series of novels, so this book, billed as a sort of cross-over, seemed like a good idea, as I am eagerly awaiting the new MR novel.

I've also read a few of King's other novels, set in modern day America (usually San Francisco), and enjoyed them - albeit not as much as the MR series.

This particular novel just didn't capture my imagination as much. The impetus for solving the mystery simply didn't jump off the page, and the characters are feeling a little tired now. The main character, Kate Martinelli a female detective with San Franciso Police Department, who is gay, felt more like a cipher for gay rights, than a fully rounded person. This is particularly surprising, because King's writing of Mary Russell is outstanding, and is the reason I love that series so much.

I limped through this book, often putting it aside in favour of something more punchy.
on 2 March 2014
I have only previously read Laurie King's Holmes and Russell novels and bought this book because of the promised cross-over. King is an accomplished writer who creates a real feel for time and location in her Holmes stories and the story within a story of this book was no exception. The modern element of the plot was very enjoyable too and I felt Laurie King blended her two series together perfectly. A very enjoyable read.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2014
A story within a story.
A detection within a detection.
Fascinating and very well written. A real pleasure from start to finish.
Jam packed with interest and intrigue, characters that you can believe in, that are complex and dedicated.
Such an enjoyable book, can't recommend it highly enough, just settle down with it in a comfortable armchair and indulge yourself.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse