Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 28 January 2014
Mariani doing what he does best - action, adventure and a flawed hero. Ben's on/off lover Brooke inadvertently becomes the target of a madman's affections. Murder and mayhem result from the discovery of a shipwreck treasure which indicates that Serrato, the unhinged villain, is entitled to own vast tracts of the Amazon rainforest in Peru. As in previous stories, the historical elements are thoroughly researched and the characters are well-drawn, although I could have done with fewer descriptions of Serrato's viciousness. There is a fairly unsubtle ecology message running through the later parts of the novel, involving the indigenous peoples, their life style and the damage to the rainforest, but I felt it was relevant and did not detract from the plot's development. Brooke's ingenuity in organising her escape shows that she is Ben's equal in a crisis.
on 3 July 2016
Once again Scott hurls his readers into an action packed, fast paced thriller. There is the usual convoluted mystery to solve. Also I found this novel particularly fascinating because his on/off lover, Brooke is kidnapped, and he has to take many risks and suffer many difficulties to try to rescue her. Brooke participates in her own attempted rescue and both she and Ben fight to get together. BUT do they get together? Well I will not create a spoiler here, you will have to read the book for yourself to find find out what actually happens!
on 14 April 2013
I preordered this and have just finished it, in a day as was hooked, and thought I'd share my thoughts.
It is a very good book and packed with action, twists and unforeseen turns.
I must admit I had a feeling of the storyline for two reasons 1. From the title 2. From the first chapter that was released. and I thought here's another story that's going to focus, heavily, on the Spanish Armada but I have to say I was really surprised of the path that the story took me on and I hope you are too.
Some brilliant new characters are introduced and are really believable.

So overall I was really pleased with the book and thoroughly enjoyed the adventure.

Ps. I bought the kindle version so am not sure if this will apply to hard/paper backs but there's an extract of a new, untitled, book coming in 2014 and from reading the extract - wow!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 May 2013
I am a big fan of Ben Hope, the tough, heavy drinking, charismatic, blond warrior-hero created by Scott Mariani. While I have read all eight thrillers, the last - The Sacred Sword (Ben Hope 7) - was for me the weakest. I found it formulaic and even tired.

The Armada Legacy is a different kettle of fish altogether. Arguably, this is a back to basics Ben Hope thriller. The archaeological mysteries, the world-stopping revelations, the bulletproof superhero all take a step back and what we have instead is a tightly plotted, focused race against time, dominated by the always intriguing and fascinating character of Ben Hope. This is a man who has woken up with a jolt. We've followed his stormy relationship with Brooke over several books and now he is faced with the very possible outcome of losing the woman that can heal his life. He even stops and thinks before taking a drink. In The Sacred Sword there were other discoveries about Ben's past that you could call more significant and earth-bending but for me they were far less meaningful. In The Armada Legacy, it's much more simple. Ben Hope loves Brooke Marcel and he will stop at nothing to get her back.

While this intensification of Ben's purpose is a positive force, it did mean that the mystery of the Armada legacy itself gets very short shrift. Whereas in some of the Ben Hope novels the archaeological mystery has prominence, here it does not. But this didn't matter. The pace of the novel is so strong and the efforts of Ben to find his way back to Brooke are so satisfyingly complex, that the thrill of the hunt across Europe and South America more than atones for the lack of archaeological puzzle. As for the villain of the piece - you'd have to read a lot of thrillers to find a villain as nasty and as corrupted and yet still as human as this one.
on 27 April 2013
Pre-ordered this and am not disappointed. I have all Scott Mariani's novels and read them over and over.
The Armada Legacy is yet another well researched, exciting novel that gets one's mind working overtime.
Whilst reading, I found myself (out of character) hoping that Brooke did not get killed as she is a perfect partner for Ben Hope (not a soppy blonde). I know that may sound very "girly" but Scott M's characters are so lifelike that one becomes attached to them.
On a more serious note- This novel is well researched, well plotted and well written. I give 5 stars as always.
Looking forward to the next novel.
Long live ben Hope - and LONG LIVE Brooke.
on 19 August 2014
Mariani delivers another thrilling Ben Hope adventure taking in Ireland, Grenada in Spain, and the Peruvian jungle. Brooke is taken hostage as a South American kingpin steals secrets from the sunken Spanish Armada and it is up to a Hope and a Colombian detective to seek revenge and save the day. This is a rollercoaster adventure that flies off the pages and is an easy and entertaining read. Great fun.
on 16 May 2016
This really is one of my favourite crime series. You don't have to read the previous books to understand the series as each one is individual but it does help. So far this has been the most enjoyable book. I've got a good understanding of the main characters & am really looking forward to seeing how things develop in the next book.
on 23 January 2014
I really enjoy these books and usually buy the new ones as they come out. However I have found that the majority of the stories are very very similar.
Overall well written book, follows the same formula, provides a thrilling ride and also chucks in some history to boot.
on 10 September 2013
Mariani's latest ends up as bit of a "Pocahontas" adventure (or Avatar for the slightly more youthful of us) with this ripping eighth installment for ex-SAS man "Don't-You-Call-Me-'Major'" Ben Hope.
This time it's as personal as his foray in 'The Mozart Conspiracy' when he opens with Brooke being kidnapped along with ex-M15-now-turned-Clive-Cussler-wreck-hunter character, Sir Roger Forsyte, head of Neptune Marine Exploration, who is currently announcing the company's "biggest coup since Sir Roger founded the company". He's just located the 1588 wreck of a Spanish Armada ship, the Santa Teresa, off the coast of Donegal. Everyone's off to Ireland to see what's going to happen. Just like in the last novel, there's a swift car-crash kidnapping and murder with the beautiful Brooke being the unfortunate victim of the latest psychotic megalomaniac, Ramon Serrato. This time her looks save her as she bears an uncanny resemblance to the dead wife of the murdering drug lord and she's whisked off to her own personal jungle Mandalay.
This, of course, sends Ben over the edge, as he trots off to Belfast after a quick call with Boonie to hunt down one Fergus Doyle, dishing out his own particular brand of violence on a group who are more smoked than the proverbial red herring. The latter, of course, turns out to be the true facts, the scene being merely a filler and insight into Ben's tendency to be trigger happy. Mariani gets his emotional hero back on track with a visit to Spain, has him team up with Nico - a cop with a bit more punch, a heck of a motive, and coarse language to boot; more so than the likes of Luc Simon or Darcey Kane -, and then the pair of them head out to a steamy South American jungle for a denouement with the deranged Serrato.
Hard to say more without giving major spoilers away so I'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say, this one's pretty good. Much better than the last one, the pace is jumpy, the characters edgier, Ben's struggle with the morality of his actions now familiar, yet still, crucially, present.
So, I've completed my Ben Hope marathon read and I've enjoyed it. I'll look out for future novels for sure. I thought I'd put them in order of favourite reads because...well, why not, eh? So here goes (from best to...not best):
1. The Lost Relic (Ben Hope 6)
2. The Mozart Conspiracy (Ben Hope 2)
3. The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope 1)
4. The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope 4)
5. The Armada Legacy (Ben Hope 8)
6. The Doomsday Prophecy (Ben Hope 3)
7. The Shadow Project (Ben Hope 5)
8. The Sacred Sword (Ben Hope 7)
on 11 June 2014
I read the Armada Legacy- the first of Scott's, because of the title and the blurb.
I was a diver who was one of the team that found an armada ship in Donegal in 1971 in Kinnago Bay.
So of course I was interested in the story.

Scott's knowledge of the troubles and the dirty war that was carried on was impressive.
However to the story.
If you like a cross between Jack Reacher and Curt Cussler's excellent stories you will love this.
The writing was excellent, the characters were well drawn and as the story moved between different countries I was sucked into the plot and the mystery.
I have already purchased another of Scott Mariani's ebooks and I am looking forward to reading many more.

It's great, as a writer myself to discover another author who fires my own imagination.
Great work, Scott and all the best with your future projects..
Jack