The Aristocats [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£14.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 3 January 2010
This is undoubtably one of the best films Disney has ever made! The characters are brilliant and the songs are memorable. 10/10 and suitable for any age. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I would advise you do so right now!! You won't regret it!!!
on 15 December 2009
I thank Amazon for their speedy delivery of this film. It is one of my favorites and I know my Grandchildren will also enjoy it as part of their christmas box.
This film is timeless and has so many songs in it that are easy to sing along with once you have watched the film a few times, as I have you will love it too. I found that it doesn't matter how many time I watch it there is always something to make me laugh in it. I loved the butler (he is very naughty).
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Like many other studios, Disney went through a series a highs and lows as the 1970's entered an age of transition, rethinking. The Aristocats was the first of three full length animations that were released during this decade, and thus marked a number of changes for the production values following Walt's passing and number of other departures.

What we see are much more light-hearted affairs that places less emphasis on any real threat, and more on the exposition of the main characters. This makes The Aristocats a safer form of entertainment for families, as was the particularly canny 'Robin Hood' (perhaps notable for an almost complete lack of threat) and 'The Rescuers', whose success was born from a more dramatic and intense underscore to the story itself.

I should make it known that I've always enjoyed The Aristocats to a certain degree, but understandably, it never really moved me in the same way as earlier Disney films (and perhaps unfairly, seemed more of a rainy day feature). Based on the quality of other restorations from this studio however, I decided to upgrade from a decidedly old VHS copy of the movie and revisit some of those memories.

In short, I'm over the moon and glad that I added this to my collection. Sure, it was never a 'risk' purchasing this product, but I don't agree with Disney's pricing and branding strategy one bit. Marketing their movies by 'Diamond' and 'Special Edition' is no more than unique than slapping on a shimmery card slipcover and suggesting that the product is automatically better than those around it on a shelf. This particular product contains more special features than a few other (supposedly "superior") Diamond Edition's, and yet it is priced exactly the same. I was also both amused and annoyed that 'Beauty and the Beast' apparently deserved a whole extra disc just for additional content, whilst the groundbreaking 'Fantasia' received a 5-minute documentary about some museum.

The mind boggles...

Of those special features, you'll find a nice 'Sing-a-long' mode for the main feature itself (I confess, I've yet to try the 'singing' aspect!), a couple of vintage TV shorts, a documentary and some other small bits and bobs that rightfully respect the quality of this movie. Perhaps being older, I have a better appreciation for the quality of the animation, the characterisation of cat-like behaviour and the wonderful music. It's a very simple story, but that's probably why it's so effective.

As for the restoration, this has had a very similar treatment to previous titles from Disney's catalogue. Whilst those released beforehand have all been pre-Xerox era (when all the line art from the animator's paper was inked onto cels, not photocopied in order to save time), this is the first Hi-Def release of the latter more scruffier looking process. As such, you notice many more untidy pencil marks popping on and off the screen around the characters, but it's nice to see the movie has been kept as authentic as possible. It by no means has the same level of detail as the movies between the 40's and 50's, but this is purely down to the type of film stock and the artwork itself - not the transfer.

Colours look nice and almost exactly as I remember them, but as expected from this period, they certainly do not pop off the screen.

5-Stars is a fair score for what is, essentially, a very carefully put together product that perhaps due to Disney's branding system, has been undervalued. Sure, The Aristocats doesn't have the same artistic prowess or powerful storytelling as those movies before it, but it offers bundles of fun and a very loose style that is sure to suit almost any animation fan; young or old. Let's hope 'The Rescuers' arrives soon!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 September 2012
Lets get the boring tech stuff out of the way.... this was filmed in full frame negative but the intended ratio was 1.78:1 which means if you had the 4:3 VHS then lucky you, you saw more top and bottom than people did in 1970 at the cinema. SO , this widescreen transfer is the cinema aspect and is perfect. The audio in HD is sublime. This is the easiest 5 stars I have ever given a film. RECOMMENDED HIGHLY !!!!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 February 2008
I purchased this copy to replace my current copy of the original dvd release.
Please be aware that this version has not been "Digitaly restored". They claim "Digital Transfer", but I could still see film spots etc, which are removed in a "restoration" i.e. the quality was not as good as it is when they restore.
They have also converted the movie into Widescreen format using Pan and Scan.
If you are interested in the animation side of the movie, then you will find lots of original detail missing as the top and bottom are chopped off.
If you just want the movie to fill the whole screen, then this is the dvd version for you.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 December 2014
An absolute childhood classic!
I adore this film! My mother was looking out for it in the supermarket, and this one was the only one it didn't seem to have. With it being just before Christmas I decided to try and find it online as a last minute gift.
Not only was it at a fantastic price compared to the supermarket, it could still arrive before Christmas day! I snatched up this deal and from my mother's reaction when she opened it, she loved it!
I will say this now, I have not seen this DVD for anywhere near £5 before or any other Disney DVD unless it's second hand. It arrived completely new and still in the cellophane. If I were you I would grab this deal while it's still available!
on 29 September 2011
I'm so disappointed with this item it's going straight to the charity shop. It's basically a con. All Disney has done, in an attempt to take more money, is to crop and stretch the 4:3 version into 16:9. It gives the entire file the wrong feeling. All through you just know the original animators just wouldn't have allowed it to be released like that. The most irksome thing is people's hats and heads being cut off; in one scene one of the cats is not even on the screen having been cropped out from the top of the display! Surely there must be a Cinema Scope release they could have used to give a genuine wide screen release and not a faux widescreen release torn from the original DVD release, cheap skates. It should be made clear on the box when films have simple been cropped to give them the appearance of widescreen.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 June 2009
I first saw this film at the cinema, when I was a little girl with my sister who had to drag me to see this film. I am so glad she did drag me as, this film as well as Robin Hood are absolutely fantastic to watch.
The story draws you in straight away and the characters are all spot on.
My personal favourite character is Thomas O' Malley and the little mouse that Duchess and her Children are friends with Roquefort.
The songs are a joy to listen and watch too.
This film is very humorous especially concerning Edgar.
If you have not seen this film then please do as this film is fab to watch again and again.
I give this film 10/10 it's that fab to watch.
on 11 January 2009
A group of cats look to find their way home after being kidnapped by a greedy butler.

The Aristocats is regarded as one of Walt Disney's finest 2D animations with its charming script and cool characters, but it doesn't quite have the magic that created Snow White or the Jungle Book.

The slow opening will have younger viewers raising their eyebrows but once the cats become established into the story does the fun and entertainment begin.

The young cats create the most enjoyment with a charming young hearted rivalry, the special kind of bonding any brother or sister of any age can associate with.

Not the funniest Disney picture out there but there are some great comic moments, especially involving the Cats and the Dogs. The representation of the gangster cats is very impressive and equally amusing.

The story, after the boring beginning, is consistently entertaining and exactly what a family film should be. There are hardly any lapses and no dull moments. The journey to find home is interesting and you get a sense of exploring, not to mention two very strange British swans.

With Disney, you always get a strong meaningful message. With the Jungle Book it is where you belong, with Beauty and the Beast you explore the importance of inner beauty. However with this 1970 picture there seems to be something missing. The film has the importance and relevance of home but is not cemented enough; it seems very far fetched and irrelevant.

My sister and I found it very strange watching this as some of the central characters were voiced by the Jungle Book cast.

Despite the bad beginning and the confusion of its preaching message, this is a consistently fun family film with a good music score and some cool crazy characters that viewers of any age can relate to.

7/10
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Although a Disney classic, unlike a lot of the Disney films this is one that will be appreciated more by the children than the adults, as a child I absolutely loved it. I find this film to be quite different in style to many of the other Disney films, the music in this is heavily influenced by jazz and the images are very different, presumably to copy the French theme.

I think it's difficult to give an objective view of a Disney film as an adult as the films aren't aimed at you but I remember this fondly from my childhood when I would watch it again and again.