Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 October 2008
I was looking for a good book to read to my child - one that had a bit of modernity and edge, but wasn't too adult. This is a very readable story about families and friendship, dressed up as a sci-fi. The writing and dialogue sometimes seemed a little clunky, but the atmosphere and emotions are very strong.
on 31 July 2001
I bought this book on the basis of a Radio 4 review. The storyline is excellent which maintained my interest in reading to my 8 year old whilst sitting in a tent in rain-drenched France recently. It also maintaining his interest in listening. There is a second level to the book in that it covers the issue of a dilemma known as the paradise syndrome where children of successful parents, particularly in the US, feel on one level life is perfect but below that is a sense of disquiet as they are not striving to achieve as everything is given on a plate. Their parents have achieved much so they do not need to strive in the short-term but in the long-term they know that they are unlikely to match their parent's success. In the book Tom feels this disquiet and discovers his family are not all they appear to be.
on 2 July 2001
When twelve-year old Tom and his friend, Gip, hack into Tom's father's computer what they find blows apart Tom's so-called normal life forever. Suddenly he is plunged into a treacherous and terrifying world where the future of mankind is at stake. In The Angel Factory, sci-fi meets psychological thriller. Read this book and people in the street will never look the same again.
on 13 February 2002
I will probably be lynched after saying this but I really don't think that The Angel factory was that amazing. It started off good and was funny, orignial and interesting but then sudden;y the whole alien idea was trown in. Surely if Mr Blacker was going to write a totally unique book he could have come up with something a bit more orgininal than aliens wanting to take over the world? I'm not saying that the book was awful, as overall it was a good read and the side characters such as Gip and Tom's sister and dog were fantastic; but the whole book in general was decent but not outrageously amazing.
on 13 February 2002
I must be one of the only people not to adore the Angel Factory. For me it was excellent until the whole alien idea was brought in and then it just became silly. There were some fantastic oneliners and the side characters were very good, i.e. his siter and the dog. Overall however I felt that the author had taken a book that was initially very funny, clever and orignial and just thrown in an old idea. For me once he found out about the aliens-taking-over-world ploy it all lost it's attraction.
A good read but not a I-can't-put-this-down kind of read.