on 6 June 2009
Because it was first published in 1992, this book isn't quite up to date with the fan-fiction (fan involvement) phenomenon (the only reason I don't give it five stars); but it's still an excellent source of information about it. It's a fair and unbiased examination of the genre, seeing active fans as something more than idiots obsessed with a fictional world.
on 16 September 2006
This was a fascinating insight into the early days of media culture / fandom but it was decidedly dated. Significant changes in media distribution such as yahoo lists and livejournal kicked off after this was published and their absence in his discussion was jarring. One can only hope the author decides to revisit the subject and give us a revised edition.
on 28 January 2011
I've been meaning to read this classic book for a long time, though it was only when I learned that it mentioned my favourite fandom, From Eroica With Love, that I finally gave in and did so. I enjoyed the book a lot! It is very interesting, I felt I learned things and it is written in an easy way. English isn't my native language and non-fiction can sometimes be a bit difficult for me, but I never felt that way when reading this book. What little I know the facts seems to be correct. And the bits about From Eroica With Love was very good. Overall a very good read and I'm glad I read it. Dated, yes, it's from 92, so I would love a newer version, but it describes things up to then very well.
on 13 November 2000
This is a comprehensive look at the fan fiction movement - the growing number of fans of TV programmes, films and sometimes books who write additional narratives about their favourite characters. Calling these fans "Textual Poachers", Jenkins examines their motivations, the often uneasy relationship between the intellectual copyright holders and the fan writers and looks at some of the genres of fan fiction. This is an excellent introduction to the fan fiction movement for the student of media studies but it is also a fascinating book for anyone interested in the way TV and film can be a spur to creativity rather than just an entertainment which is passively enjoyed.