Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 November 2005
I have just started a Law degree and for one - me and textbooks = not a good mix. What I want is something that sounds like it was written by an actual human being, not a 100yr old armed with a theaurus, which let's face it, is true of many Law text books. This book however, is very readable, I find. Cases are presented cleanly and concisely, and are analysed well and revelently (again, I've been finding irrelevance in issue with my law textbooks!). Its been said in these reviews that this book is too detailed, but this has not presented a problem for me. Also, something I love about this book is the use of brackets instead of footnotes! My lecturer said that this was the downside of this book so maybe that format isn't for everyone, but I hate footnotes with a passion so it works for me!
All in all, this is a very readable book, and structured such that throughout, it is relatively easy to sift through the information that you do and do not need. Highly reccommended for over-whelmed undergraduates everywhere.
on 7 January 2004
All the main topics such as Defamation, Nuisance and negligence which breaks up into three chapters of duty of care, standard of care and causeation are included.
The detail is startling. This is a bit of double edge sword because although this detail if you are practicing would be necessary, it may be a little a little too much for a standard law degree.
For example, the duty of care chapter is over 100 pages long, but on the other hand the substance is useful as all the main cases are explained and critical anaysis is well presented.The style of writing and the chapter breakdown makes it a lot easier to follow.
For Nuisance,the chapter could not have been more helpful. If you're looking for a high mark, then this book is the one to help you.
on 13 March 2006
I am currently studying for the Graduate Diploma in Law conversion course, and this was one of the textbooks we were supplied with at the start of the year. I'm sorry to say that I find it to be the worst of them.
Firstly, the material is extremely in-depth: I suspect it would be better aimed at legal researchers than those studying for a law degree or a conversion course.
The biggest problem , though, is the poor layout. Headings are very few and far between, and the reader is often confronted with page after page of solid text. Consequently, the book is virtually useless as a quick reference. I want to be able sometimes to dip into a law textbook to find an authority for a a particular proposition. Due to the continuous nature of the text in this book it can be very difficult to locate individual points in this way - often one has to read through several pages in order find the relevant lines of text. It reads like a novel.
This book might have value for those wishing to gain a deeper knowledge of particular areas of tort law. For a primary textbook though, I much prefer Winfield & Jolowicz on Tort.