Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 December 2009
I'm quite an experienced online poker player and blame bad luck an awful lot. For me, the most important aspects in this book were bad beats, or bad play.

Are they really bad beats? Perhaps you think so, but in my many cases I shouldn't have been in the hand in the first place.

The book explains precisely and clearly how to win online. I've read previous books that give me their life story of how they became a poker professional, their "ups and downs" - do I want to read this? No. I want tips and techniques on improving my online poker skills, and this book provides. Cash tables, sit 'n go's, MTT's, it's all in here.

It's a relatively small book, and may cover some stuff you already know, but trust me, it's worth the read. It reminded me of some of the skills I've picked up along the way but have forgotten or not used so much to my advantage.

My profit graph looks much more stable after reading this, previously I saw massive ups and downs, my "bad beats" have been massively reduced and you should start noticing an increase in your bank roll.
on 21 December 2009
In summary I would recommend this book to all those beginning or looking to improve their online NLHE Poker game. It is very strong on helping the reader to develop the correct mindset and starting strategy.

If you are keen to avoid being one of the many losing players out there, then I highly suggest you give this book a try. It is one of the cheaper books available, and despite only being 126 pages long has an awful lot to offer.

Before you read this book you need to understand the mechanics of poker, ie. hierarchy of winning hands, blinds, community cards, betting format (etc).

The early sections explain the common format of online poker sites, including how to pick the right poker site & table for you. There are also good sections on strategy for Cash Games, Sit & Go Tournaments and Multi-Table Tournaments which should enable you to adopt the correct style for the table you have chosen.

To round off the book there are sections on how to deal with bad beats and also some miscellaneous tips and strategies to employ.

The author recommends a tight aggressive style, and also the hands that you should you should consider entering the pot with (depending on the format of the game you are playing). The guidance offered is very useful, but is straight to the point... so don't expect large sections analysing the relative merit of making plays with different pocket cards.

This book does not go into depth on outs, pot odds and implied odds, betting patterns or chip management, so I would highly suggest purchasing another book that does in order to add these important skills to your game and become a well rounded player.
on 6 October 2009
First word of warning. This book is not about the basics of Texas Hold 'Em poker. It's about the basics of online playing, so if you are looking for basic poker techniques and so on, you are not going to find them here.

This book assumes you have already covered the poker basics elsewhere and launches straight into the do's and don'ts of online poker.

The book was an eye opener for me. It explains table statistics, which will help you find the table that is right for you and more likely to help you win. Read player's actions to help you choose the right place in the right table and a long etcetera of where you can go right and wrong, from size of bets to mood to note taking.

In sum, a very helpful book for the amateur poker player, not the novice, thinking about giving it a go in the virtual world.
on 21 March 2010
This is a great book for those people who know the rules and would like pointers on how to play better, most specifically how to bet/raise. This book proposes you play a tight aggressive game, tight meaning that you are very specific in what hands to play, don't just see the flop with any cards, then when you have your cards, bet aggressively from the start. This style of play suits beginners, because it is simple and effective. Betting strong gives you 2 ways to win, by having the best hand and also by making the other player fold.

It does pay to re-read this, like I have, you can easily slip back into your old ways, but re-reading specific chapters before a game for me really improves my play, hopefully it will become second nature. I lost £70 online, but I am slowly making money.

One other good tip for beginners is to make sure you only take 5% (10% max) of your bank roll (the amount of money in your account - effectively the amount you can afford to lose).

I would also suggest playing sit and go's rather than ring games, the benefit is you only lose your buy in and the game lasts a long time, so lots of good practice. Sit and Go being you pay say $1 and you get 1500 chips and the top say 3 players get paid in a 9 person game or the top 18 in a 90 person game. I find when I play ring games if I go on tilt, then I am going to lose a lot, if I go on tilt in sit and go's, then I just lose my buy in.

This is just a fraction of what you can learn from the book. I refrain from giving it 5 as it is missing starting charts and a little more info on odds would be nice.

A great follow up book when you have fully digested this book and find the style of play works for you, is Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, his style of play is similar to the one suggested in this book, and it is a really nice read too. It contains more info on odds, starting hands so a good 2nd book.
on 15 March 2009
As the title I put states, this book is a great read for a novice just starting the game or even someone that has been playing a while, thinks they know the game but are losing still. It isn't prehaps going to teach anyone that has spent time learning the game much, but clearly that wasn't the aim of the book.

It's quite a short read of about 120 pages or so, and easy to read through in and evening if you are a quick reader, but whats in those pages will turn a weak, clueless and losing player into one that stands a chance to actually make some money at the tables and certainly at lower stakes where the majority are fish that while may have rough ideas of the game do make lots of bad errors still and don't have much desire to learn any better. This book will put you above them straight away if you take the guides in and follow them.

I will agree with one other reviewer that it doesn't overly cover odds, and to a fully rounded good player you should understand pot odds and the odds your hand has of being made. While many players believe intution is enough it isn't to be consistantly a winner over the long run. The simple fact is the more you know the better you get and less you are liking to lose, and in the long run the odds just aren't wrong, so knowing them is a must for higher level play and this book doesn't cover it. However, being that it's a book about online play its easy to get round this by using 3rd party software odds calculators that attach to most game sites tables and give you pot odds and odds of your hand standing up. Useful for novices still unsure of how to do the math, and even for good players that can do it but don't want to waste the scant 15 seconds time you often get to do the math. Plenty of good ones about, but make sure its a good one obviously. The book also mentions poker tracker briefly, which is also a good tool, not only for your own stats, but can be helpful finding the fish at the cash tables too as it tracks the data on anyone you have sat and played with so you can find them fast. These tools do cost money, so prehaps only for the serious players, but I assume most buying books are aiming to be just that.

Anyway, in short, this book is going to be great for anyone losing currently and with only a basic understanding of the game. Follow the guides and you will improve lots, and its all simple to follow. For good players already you're not going to get anything extra out of it. Good players I class as those that already understand the value of postions, starting hand requirements, player profiling and suiting your style to them etc and finally tactical requirements for SnG's, MTT's and ring games. If you know most of that then this book isn't going to teach you any new tricks or plays to add to your game.

I should state finally that I'm a winning player, and play about 6 hours a day on ring games and played about 2000 odd tournaments too last year alone. So why did I read this book? Because it doesn't hurt to read or constantly try to learn and improve your game, but it does hurt generally when you stop trying to learn more. So the moral is even if you learn lots from this book, don't stop there if you want to really earn. See you on the tables maybe!
on 6 April 2008
A really good beginners book, you can win with this even without counting the odds. Straightforward and easy to read. But if you want move on from the lowesttables, then you need odds, which this book does not clarify. But still simply loved it.
on 8 February 2011
Not the best I' afraid.

I will keep this nice and short as I know many of the people reading this will be browsing other books completely baffled as to which to buy. This book is aimed at complete novices. Well, tell a lie, novices who already know the rules and how betting works in its basic level. Anyone who has thought about playing poker in a serious manner will not learn anything new. If you have heard of the term "Position" with regards to poker, you will already be too skilled for this book.

Though, I would perhaps suggest you buy this book as an introduction. Novices should buy this book certainly. But I would suggest those who are serious about learning the game to buy it as well. You may or may not learn much, but it does only take a day or so to read. Then you can move on to more in depth books!
on 14 January 2008
Have been playing online for a couple of years now. Saw this - it is CHEAP - and thought I'd give one more poker book a try. It's great. Mendlesohn writes so simply and clearly that even quite tough stuff makes sense.
Bottom line: I was losing online; now I'm winning - consistently. Can't believe it. Simple tips, excellent strategys and everything clear and easy. GREAT! Book paid for itself in 2 minutes dead.
Buying his other poker books now and will report.
Cheers
Ralph - Jo'burg
on 10 March 2010
If you play online poker this is a `must read'. It's brief but detailed enough to be very useful - all in short easy to read chunks.

Beginning with an introduction to the online poker world Paul explains how to choose and sign up to a site, downloading and how the lobby works. He then has a section on mood, bankroll, how to select a table by understanding lobby information, where to sit etc. The next three sections look at the types of games and strategies for each: cash games, sit and go tournaments and multi-table tournaments and finally how to deal with bad beats and a section on more general tips and strategies.

You will need another book if you are looking for details on odds and outs - but this is a great place to begin either if you are new to online poker or if you have been playing for a while and want to improve.
VINE VOICEon 10 July 2010
I bought this book after only having played poker for a few days with pretend money on Facebook. It was perfect for the level of experience and knowledge I had, being a "poker virgin" (his term).

For the more experienced player it might be a bit basic but there is so much advice in there I need to read it multiple times to try and absorb the important bits for me.

What there isn't in the book is tables of the different probabilities for different pairs pre-flush and or any more explicit mathematical material that is probably the next step. The same author has written another book which I'm hoping will help me in this area. You might well see a review of that book a few days after this one if you have a look for it on Amazon.