on 2 December 2000
Terry's book ' Is it me?' was best described as a laugh a minute with an insight to this man's private life with the odd tear thrown in. Wogan has not held anything back :warts and all. If you are a TOG or a TIG you shall love it. I loved it and I listen to him only sometimes, and adore his dry wit at Eurovision once a year , but this was a good read of his childhood in Dublin with his Ma and Da and how he started out on the journey to being Radio 2's best known D.J. It seems he was a hitched to the right star and gambled well. If yo were looking for sex drugs and rock and roll for the creation of Radio 1, this isn't for you, but if you want a book that makes you laugh and cry in places this is for you.
on 4 September 2000
As autobiographies go this has much to recommend it. It is engaging, informative, funny, literate without being pretentious, and easy-going without being shallow.
Terry Wogan's style of writing is much the same as his style of broadcasting; full of warmth and charm and inclusive of his audience. Unlike so many media personalities today, this is a man who genuinely knows the value and the mechanics of communication.
The book is admirably devoid of self-justification and self-aggrandisement and is pleasingly frank. Mr. Wogan has managed to strike a fine balance: he is honest (sometimes searingly so) and forthright without, in my opinion, ever exploiting or abusing anyone featured within.
If any criticism can be levelled at the book it is that it finishes rather abruptly. It is almost as if the author suddenly grew bored and decided to stop or, perhaps, that he suspected he would have outstayed his welcome by this point. Not true in the opinion of this reviewer. I would welcome a second volume.
This book is clearly of appeal to Terry Wogan's many loyal fans (All you TOGs out there) but deserves a much broader audience. Anyone who appreciates gentle, intelligent humour with a sprinkling of irony and, above all else, the honesty of a man 'well stricken in years' should enjoy this book.
on 18 December 2006
Had to purchase after reading his other book (mustn't grumble) and yes I enjoyed it as much, YOU CAN HEAR HIM SPEAK AS YOU READ THE WORDS, WRITEN ALMOST AS HE WOULD SPEAK. An image of Terry in short trousers as a lad, cycling his way around Island is a sight for sore eyes, I BET.

"The Who Shot JR?" campaign, when Dallas reached fever pitch? WAS SOME THING I STILL REMEMBER WITH A Smile, AND I WALKED DOWN MEMORY LANE WITHIN THE PAGES OF THIS BOOK. I still think the program Wogan was the icing on the cake for him, and once the public got to see this man on a weekly footing they could not get enough of his cheeky smile, or boyish grin. His interview technique amazed me, he was able to slip in a comment, or two, that others would not be able to get away with. A Wogan all grannies wanted to mother. It's a light hearted read taking you into the life of the man him self, HIS EARLY YEARS and later notoriety that he has worked hard to attain without using or dropping names. A man any one would be proud to introduce as a friend, or family member. Can any one be this perfect? Ummm...Only time will tell but I for one adore this national treasure and hope to meet him one day. Maybe interviewing me for my own biography.....there you go Terry, an invite you won't be able to resist!!!
on 26 September 2000
Terry Wogan sees the funny side of everything, given time in some cases, and pokes fun at everything and everyone but none more so than himself. The book is his view on his life with it's downs and it's many ups. The fact that he is serious about one thing above all others, his family, shines through but he still manages to have the odd, nay frequent, laugh at their expense.
If you want a day to day account of his life this isn't for you, it's a helter skelter ride through the years with frequent tangential trips until you finally arrive, where I don't know, certainly not the end for sure, but it was fun getting there anyway.
on 17 February 2001
I don't know if any of you have seen the "Best of the Webcam" part of the BBC Radio 2 website but on it there is a picture of Pauly apparently reading two copies of this book simultaneously. The caption on the picture is "So good I read it twice". Well, I only bought the one copy but I have read it twice. And I laughed out loud both times. It's not chronological but if you like Wogan you'll love his autobiography. And get an insight into the fun that is "Wake Up to Wogan" where two old chums enjoy themselves on the wireless..... A very enjoyable read and, if there are any TOGs or TYGs out there that haven't bought it, buy it!
on 26 December 2000
Read the book in 2 days -could not put it down. Funnny,serious,perceptive and in places politically damning. Not just for Wogan fans since I am not particularly , but for people who enjoy observations on life.
on 12 December 2000
I bought this book because I am Irish & I liked Terry Wogans style on English radio. He was always there in the old days of the problems between England & Ireland. He represented the better side of the Irish abroad. After reading this book I respect the man more than ever. I smiled as I remembered Ireland as it was & never will be again, when the man himself was on Irish radio in the 60's. When Terry was driving through the streets of an empty Dublin on his way to RTE, I was eating my porridge before the long walk to school in the west of Ireland. This is a great read. Read it if you are Irish. Read it if you like Terry Wogan on the Radio or TV. Read it before everyone else finds out about it & you are left out.
Slan Agus Beannacht
Patrick Rogan
Seychelles
55 comments8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2000
If you like Terry's radio show, then you'll love listening to this audiobook, read by yer man himself. It has everything you'd expect from T.W. The only complaint is that it is abridged, and not the complete book.
on 15 April 2001
This is surely Terry's finest work yet. Terry tells his remarkable life story in this celebration of laconic style at its best. Jeffrey Archer must be trembling in his country-set wellies. The paper is white, the type is black but the mood is very green and peaty. There are times in one's life when only a certain kind of book will do. Wet days in Scunthorpe will never be the same!
on 9 September 2002
Wogan writes the way he speaks - whimsical, humorous, self-deprecating: but anyone who has listened to or watched him will recognise the intelligence behind it all.