Format: Hardcover|Change

My wife recently browsed through a copy of ‘Tequila Mockingbird – Cocktails with a Literary Twist’ and she thought it would make an ideal gift to a couple met on holiday over Margaritas. So she purchased a copy from Amazon – but to me it was a disappointment. The edition received is described as ‘Rough Cut’, and so it is with irregular soft-edged pages that are more yellow than white – not crisply attractively presented as the browsing copy.

Also on reading we came to realise how ‘adult’ is the nature of both narrative and illustrations, and wondered whether ‘Tequila Mockingbird’ was really suitable for chance-met friends. It may be a bit risqué – yet on the other hand it is quite humorous and should appeal to a son-in-law who enjoys weird drinks – so we bought a second copy of something I wasn’t that keen on.

‘Tequila Mockingbird’ is a fitting and meaningful title for a ‘tongue in cheek’ literary approach, though I find much of the writing to be immature. OK the actual recipes may be sound and welcome for party drinks that are a bit different, and my wife may award 5-stars. I suppose the literary connections are clever, and there are good puns – but even here I am disappointed and found references somewhat condescending. To me the book deserves no better than 3-stars, hence 4-stars as average of our ratings.
on 8 October 2013
I was looking for a fun cocktail book and as we love reading this was perfect. It's clever and funny with classic cocktails and it's so popular amongst our guests that we just leave it out at parties! Absolutely brilliant!
on 8 May 2014
I think this book is great but whether I will use it much.....?? I bought it as a gift but loved it so much I bought another for myself which just sits on show in the kitchen and provokes interest and conversation! There are lots of recipes based on works of literature from "gin eyre" to " bridget jones's daiquiri" to "a cocktail of two cities". It also has a section on non alcoholic cocktails as well as a few snack recipes. The illustrations are fantastic too. It does suggest lots of accessories but most of the cocktails have a short ingredients list. I would recommend as a quirky gift.
on 20 July 2014
I feel like i'm out on a limb with my opinion on this book. Everyone else here seems to love it and certainly it's full of clever, creative cocktails and twists on literary titles. But the 'reader' in me couldn't help finding it immensely irritating and just a bit tacky.

Each recipe gives a brief synopsis of the novel it's based on, many of which I found condescending to the great people who wrote them. That's ok if you don't mind a bit of tongue-and-cheek and you don't like people (especially writers) to take themselves too seriously but I also found some of these outlines to misrepresent the novels (it referred to Franny and Zooey as 'hipsters' and for a moment seemed to forget who was who). If you read all the recipes in full you may also find yourself having the ending of that literary classic you've been meaning to read given away for you.
On top of that, it also split the cocktails (and literary works) into girls drinks and boys drinks which I found sexist and pandering to gender stereotypes.

My advice is that it's a novelty gift: purposefully tongue-and-cheek, tacky and vulgar like one of those rude greeting cards. Not that that's bad. It can be a lot of fun. But don't give this book to someone just because they're a fan of reading. Give it to them if they're the sort of person you'd give one of those greeting cards to - and if they like cocktails of course.
Some great recipes in there, so it gets three stars. :)
on 4 December 2015
I saw this book at a National Trust shop but I'm too mean to pay the cover price. Amazon had a substantial discount and having already flicked through a sample book, I knew what I was getting. This is a great present for a lover of literature and booze. I bought it for myself and am slowly working my way through the recipes. Our Book Club is reading Harper Lee right now and so Tequila Mockingbird is accompanying the oral review. Can't wait. Buy it you won't be disappointed.
on 13 August 2015
I love this book. The cocktails in it are the sorts of things one would realistically be able to make without having to spend stupid amounts of money on other things (and I say this as a student with a student budget!). It arrived on time and well packaged. The book itself has a very nice hard cover, illustrated inside too, including loads of fun facts about the books the cocktails are based on, and it also includes a non-alcoholic section (although that being said, you could very easily adapt some of the regular cocktails to remove the alcohol, by replacing sparkling wine with sparkling grape juice etc.). Overall, it's just awesome, and v. well priced too!
on 26 December 2013
Received this as a Christmas gift. Perfect present for me, being a new writer and a bit of an alkey. Witty writing, which made me laugh out loud. I loved the précis of the novels , the occasional backgrounders on the authors and, of course, the cocktail recipes with their literary twists.
on 24 November 2013
Such a cute book with such an original idea. Hardback is a good size and the recipes are really creative. Item arrived quickly and in perfect condition; would definitely recommend!
on 9 December 2013
Tried to read the whole book in one go, and when you do that the puns start to grate and feekls a little gimmicky, but it was a present for someone whose two favourite things are to Kill A Mockingbird and alcohol, so in that respect it went down great!
on 16 January 2016
The book has some lovely ideas and fun cocktails. It is also produced to a high standard - nice hardback cover, good paper etc EXCEPT I have had FOUR copies where the paper has not had the edges cut properly on the edge opposite the binding resulting in a rough, messy finish and it makes the book hard to use and enjoy (its strange - until its not done normally, you don't realise how important a uniform, neat edge to a book is!)

Clearly a batch problem and these need to go back to the printers...