Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 24 February 2008
I'm very fond a Japanese anime but (to my shame) this title had eluded me. I bought it primarily because it's one of the first animations on Blu-Ray and I was curious to assess the image quality. Well you live and learn: this film is extraordinary in the extreme. It's appears to be a simple tale of two boys living and surviving on the streets of a run down Japanese town but it becomes far more than that. Their names are 'Black' and 'White' and I would urge you to consider yin & yang at this point.
The animation is amazing. There's so much detail in each frame that I wanted to frame (as in wooden) most of them. Sometimes the animation is deliberately simplistic but it all blends and builds magnificently. The high-definition really brings this out and any lover of anime will be drooling at this one.
This is now one of my top 5 films and that's really saying something because I'm 43 years old and I've seen a lot of movies. I don't impress easily. If you like anime then just buy this, a no-brainer. If you like a thoughtful and interesting (but at times surreal) story then also buy this.
Genius!
on 13 October 2007
Simply amazing, emotional, heart wrenched beautifully written adaption.. loved every second! So much to take in, set in an amazing world of dark and good two brothers live homeless as orphans, one takes on the 'duty' of saviour of the town but at the same time has the responsibility of a younger sibling. Is his competition too much.

A very well constructed piece of anime you feel some aspects of reality.. I'm not a fan of manga or 'action' anime as such and have watched all the Studio Ghibli collection, I can quite easily say this has now topped my anime collection, you wont want to miss this one!! I would say this isn't for a very young audience but pref 12+
on 10 May 2008
I bought this and Paprika as my first two Blu-Ray movies ever. I'm not a fan of Anime at all but after this film I'll definitely seek out a few others.

Tekkonkinkreet is a piece of art, everything seems to be done to perfection, the story is emotional and touching, yet it has enough action to keep anyone satisfied. The animation is beautiful, I was sat watching this film amazed at every second wondering how they made it look so good!

This films a definite keeper and I'll be sure to watch it many many times more, I'm sure it'll appeal to watchers of all ages, even family viewing, just be wary of some of the violence in it. ;)
on 6 November 2007
this is a truly wonderful film! the animation is absolutely perfect for the feel, and the graphics are great!
it features talents such as Ninomiya Kazunari and Aoi Yu, with music by Japanese rock band 'Asian Kung-Fu Generation', and British electronic Duo 'Plaid'.
bassed on the 1993 manga by Taiyō Matsumoto, the story is situated in a town that's falling to pieces. Kids roam the streets tearing things up, while Yakuza help support the powers of the place. amongst all this, two kids, Shiro (white) and Kuro (Black) are getting by through petty theft, when things begin to become more complicated than they could have ever imagined, with the Yakuza backing the plans for Treasure Towns reconstruction, and 3 immensely powerful guys at their command.
their relationship is but through the test, and it's a wonderful tie to the Chinese mythology of Ying and Yang (not get me wrong, this is by NO MEANS a Yaoi or shonen-ai).

i highly recommend this film! it's not in a conventional 'manga' style anime, and though the story-line is rather simple, it's enticing, and pulls you into their characters lives very quickly - it even made me cry a couple of times ^^;
on 26 December 2010
Before purchasing this title from Amazon UK, I had already watched it for, at least, 2 times.

So I knew it was good.

I've watched tons of anime and this one is amazing - very well written with a great story development; realistic and fantastical at the same time. You'll be blown away by the amount of details and the thought behind them. The characters have simple clothes (that change everyday!), but the backgrounds, the city, everything is alive, moving, and believable. You can find complex, real personalities within every face you'll see. The style is very distinctive and unique, without the now-regular big eyed faces that would change the spotlight - since this film is more about what's happening than the shiny looks. The animation itself is very fluid, with either action scenes or daily-life situations. Everything happens for a reason, even if you don't get it right away, and you can expect rage, nostalgia and panic from the little guys on the screen. Expect some funny moments too.

I recommend it to anyone who wants to spend their time with something worthwhile.
One of my top favourites, no doubt.
on 19 January 2008
I could not recommend this anymore to a fan of Animation be it western or Japanese anime as this is a work of art and hats off to Michael Arias and all the others that pulled this off also check out the Manga that it's based on also called TEKKONKINKREET that is written and drawn by Taiyo Matsumoto ( amazon sell the re-released version as it happens )and you will see just where the odd style artwork came from.
on 25 April 2009
I bought this DVD with a gift token and it was purchased as a filler to make up the full value of the gift. I had read a couple of reviews on Amazon and was left intrigued but in no way was purchasing this film very high on my list of priorities. Some Anime titles become so hyped that they can never meet your expectations and I include Paprika and Origins in this category. Whilst they are both good films neither are great nor deserving of five stars.

So having approached this film with an air of indifference, I am delighted to say that this film is excellant. I won't describe the plot or the themes as they are available to read elsewhere but what makes this film so good is the characterization of the brothers Black and White and the loving bond that exists between them. Yes there are weaknesses in the story and the pacing. Yes the principal Bad-guy, Snake's origins and motives could have been explained but these are minor shortcomings.

I am first and foremost a film fan and I continue to watch and love many Anime films and my only regret with this film is that I will not be able to sit and watch it with my two young daughters.

Anime like all art, film, music divides opinion and Tekkonkinkreet will be no different. If you enjoy animation then I urge you to seek out this film for the following reasons:

Excellant voice work on all the principal characters
Music by Plaid that fits like a glove
Stunning cityscapes of urban-baroque decay beautifully 3D rendered
Heartwarming story.
on 30 September 2009
The first thing you'll notice about Tekkonkinkreet is the animation. This really is a case of subject and style blending together perfectly, as the vibrant, jittery animation matches the wild natures of the main characters to a tee. The story is adequate, but takes something of a second place to the sheer exuberance of the action. It explores its themes nicely and helps set up the mood, but the real showstopper is the way the conflicts it contains is brought to life in sequences that sometimes border on the psychedelic without ever bringing you out of the narrative.
Perhaps a little too 'out there' for frequent repeat viewings, but a jewel in any animated movie collection nonetheless.
on 27 February 2012
Tekkonkinkreet is not a Hayao Miyazaki film. Straying away from the family friendly Anime that Studio Ghibli have so effectively colonized over the past two decades, Tekkonkinkreet is a much darker tale - following the lives of two street urchins, named Black and White respectively, as they run riot around territory getting into more and more dangerous scrapes as they go along.

It's a fantastic film and it flings the viewer deeper into an emotional vortex as it progresses, with its rich cinematography, dazzling animation and captivating score. The two protagonists are brilliant - White, the younger of the two is naive, innocent and pure, whilst the protective Black is a far more morally grey character. To survive in the tough streets of Treasure Town they must steal and pilfer whenever and wherever they can.

Throw into that mix some Yakuza, a bunch of bone-quakingly strong superhumans and an array of inner demons and you know you have a radical rollercoaster-ride of a movie on your hands.

I highly recommend you watch it, although be warned if you are looking for a Studio Ghibli style film, this is not it - there are a number of gritty, violent scenes that make it unsuitable for youngsters. Other than that, top notch stuff.
on 2 September 2012
As with all anime, I brought this as a bit of a gamble.(It could of been a Naruto- of which I went ahead and brought the box set of as I heard it was good. It's not.)
I'd never heard of this film before but the cover art was bold and colorful and the character design different from the kind of anime you usually see. (Big eyes and ridged expressions)

It's great! The plot follows an actual story line, which can be rare in animation that's as beautifully styled as this. All the characters are unique and believable, and the relationships are well portrayed. Even though the story revolves around the arrival of aliens in the two protagonists part of town it all feels quite 'real'. I like how the origin of the alien group isn't explained, you appreciate the story for what it is; a juncture in these kids lives, and you don't get bogged down in detailed explanations and annotations.

The scenery kind of reminds me of pop-up books. The style is flat but 3D and full of detail.

I don't want to big the film up too much, you should go into it with an open mind leave room to be pleasantly surprised!