Tefal Actifry poor construction, broken paddle, broken lid.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 135 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2011 10:59:44 GMT
Tuppence says:
Yes, the paddle and pan do come apart for cleaning. You hook your fingers under the two lugs on the grey bit of the paddle, and press down with your thumb on the middle bit and you will find it comes unlocked. From my experience, I strongly recommend anyone who owns this product to ALWAYS put your hand (remember to use a glove if the machine is hot!) on the top of the lid before opening it and support it as it springs back. In this way, you take much of the strain off the lid and the clips which hold it on, as it springs back very strongly if you don't do this, which will probably shorten its life.

I agree that the concept of this machine is brilliant and I use it a lot, but its manufacture is not good and Tefal need to get it sorted before they lose all credibility.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2011 21:02:25 GMT
J. Pryor says:
the paddle comes out by pressing th small button near the top of the paddle and the ring can be removed from the top of the pan when you lift it out to clean and empty

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2011 11:30:09 GMT
S. L. SIMMS says:
Thank you for your post. I have worked out how to remove the paddle now, I think I was nervous about pulling the lugs in case I broke it, in fact I am nervous about using the whole thing now I have read how fragile it seems to be !! But I was impressed with the quality of the chips.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2011 16:11:37 GMT
rescorla says:
I thought mine was doing OK -- then snap the lid broke. Can get one for about £20-00 but it's out of stock at the moment.

Posted on 27 Jan 2011 15:37:27 GMT
I've given up with my Actifry. I've experienced all the problems mentioned here. Last straw was my paddle reaking after I dropped it onto my soft kitchen floor. The lid cracked within a month of buying it. Far too expensive for what it is. They were trading on their name and the new idea. Back to the old De Longhi for this household - crispier chips too.

Posted on 12 Mar 2011 21:34:47 GMT
S. K. Riley says:
We are today onto our 5th actifry in 3 years. Luckily, Costco just refund the whole amount

Posted on 19 May 2011 00:12:28 BDT
R says:
Got my replacement spares from Belstar (http://www.belstar-electrics.co.uk)

Posted on 1 Jun 2011 15:16:31 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 Jun 2011 15:20:12 BDT]

Posted on 18 Jul 2011 08:07:35 BDT
Please can anyone suggest the best way of cleaning the tefal actifry or any product that you've found useful? The paddle get's greasy and although I soak the parts of the appliance that are removable, it never really comes up clean. I don't have a dishwasher but saying that I would be reluctant to place the parts into a dishwasher are they are quite flimsy.

Many thanks.

Posted on 18 Jul 2011 20:19:17 BDT
C. P. Barber says:
9 months old and the paddle clips fell off. 13 months old and the paddle snapped. This is is very poor quality for such a costly machine. I am the technical manager for a company that supplies goods through retail outlets such as Argos. I am aware all manufacturer have quality issues, however, the good ones act on the data and implement changes to improve product performance and until changes can be effected they seek to ensure customers are protected, not ignored.

Posted on 26 Jul 2011 21:48:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jul 2011 21:49:00 BDT
S. L. Quinn says:
Are there any, or many people out there who HAVEN'T had their Actifry fall apart on them? - I'm beginning to think I'm the only person in the world who hasn't hasn't had theirs set alight, break the lid, smash the padle etc. I'm not particularly carefool, kit gloves type, but I must be doing something right!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2011 11:34:55 BDT
cd123 says:
i have had mine 18 months and the paddle has broke i ordered a replacement paddle via the tefal website it came from france and in total with postage cost me just under £18 which is a lot cheaper than anywhere else i found

Posted on 25 Aug 2011 10:20:41 BDT
I have had my Actifry for 13 months and I think the materials used are not 'fit for purpose'.
The catches on the lid snapped off after 10 months, also the lid split right across.
Tefal did not want to know saying that it was my fault for closing the lid too forcefully.
Replacement cost £27.95 direct from SEB International - Tefal's spares suppliers.

Yesterday the paddle finger snapped off due to ONE JAMMED CHIP.

This product is just not worth the money.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2011 18:46:19 BDT
I agree with all of the above. I have replaced the lid, filter and paddle of the Actifry and am now experiencing problems with the paddle sticking. It starts off OK but after about 10 minutes the paddle stops. I give it a nudge and it goes for a couple of seconds and then stops again. I have to stand and watch it to nudge it along as it does not cook evenly if the paddle is not moving. The body pot looks OK and I always wash it by hand but it must have lost its non-stick. Its the only thing I can think of. Its a shame that the materials used to make the Actifry doesn't last long as its a great idea. Maybe I will try the Philips Air Fryer!

Posted on 26 Aug 2011 21:47:25 BDT
anon student says:
Quote the Sale of Goods Act 1979 at Tefal - Not fit for purpose.

You didn't buy the product to use it for a year, so keep banging on about that, and take a look on this site for further ammo! http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaataglance (this site shows you what the seller "should" be doing for you)

You might be surprised at what you discover there!

Good luck and just don't give in or go away!

Never give in, especially when you've had less than 2 years use!

Posted on 27 Aug 2011 08:25:47 BDT
I've had no problems with the new version of the Actifry. Having said that, we prefer the Philips Air Fryer - except for some things where you want to use liquids or for some other reason need a solid tray.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2011 10:45:08 BDT
is it possible to put a small solid dish of your own into the base container
regards mrs E Ridge

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2011 13:14:04 BDT
No, the system works with a sort of 'paddle' rotating the food, turning it over, and sometimes breaking it up! You can put slices of raw turkey in it and port and cook them together! There are some good recipes.
Hm, could you take the paddle out and do this? I think that would defeat the way it works. The Philips might work that way (or was that what you were referring to)? The great thing about the Philips is that it heats all over, including the bottom, crisping stuff up nicely.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 12:20:57 GMT
Lynne says:
I have had two tefal actifry machines in the last few years, the first went up in smoke and the retailer (Lakeland) refunded my money in full but no longer stock the actifry. The second broke after 2 years when the piece turning the paddle broke off. I contacted Tefal via letter as they provided no email address on their website and they are offering me to repair it for £59 (includes collection and delivery) or replacing it for £90 including delivery. To be honest like you I am not sure if it would be again throwing good money after bad.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 15:47:18 GMT
I still use actifry,,,because there is no other like it... i still think that the price is outrageous...so will shop around for the best price...have seen them advertised for £99 ,,,cannot remember where though,
I think that they are very cheaply made and not very strong,,,i wash mine with great care... regards.
Eunice Ridge

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 16:23:27 GMT
Still using ours but not for long I suspect. Resolved some time ago to abandon it when the latest lid and/or paddle goes but now seems like the motor is on the way out. Now seems 50:50 whether the paddle rotates forwards or backwards. Obviously if it decides on backwards then all the contents bunch up - have to stop and start it a few times until it goes forwards again!
Thinking of trying the Philips Airfryer next.

Posted on 10 Dec 2011 12:59:24 GMT
Ive had my actifry about 9 months now and on my3rd replacement lid.Each time it breaks at the joint twixt lid and clasp at the back .I have no prblem getting replacemebnts and this time the y have asked me to send the lid back (only6weeks old). I expressed safety concerns each time regardign shards of plastic and broken teeth but they say they are not aware of the problem

Posted on 10 Dec 2011 13:49:33 GMT
Tuppence says:
I am wondering how Tefal have the effrontery to say they are "not aware of the problem" when hundreds of people must have complained about it from this site alone - I think they are telling porkie-pies! When I spoke to their customer services once about the same problem, I suggested they look at this site - I wonder if they did?

But I still love my Actifry - it is a great invention, great design, just very poorly-made which is a pity because it is not cheap. I have looked at the Philips machine on the TV but it does not seem nearly as good - as long as your Actifry stays in one piece, of course.

Posted on 20 Dec 2011 22:34:55 GMT
Marg says:
I have bought 2 Tefal Actifrys the first went on fire and the paddle has gone on the second one. However, I got a template letter of complaint from watchdog which I sent to Tefal, saying that although my years guarantee was up, there is a 6 year time span to enable anyone to get redress if the product is not fit for purpose. where a replacement or money back should be given. Tefal responded with (we will do nothing). I would love to be able to afford to take them to court, because their product is most definitive faulty and they should not be allowed to get away with selling this expensive load of rubbish. This product is not fit for purpose with shoddy parts and materials, I will be getting on to trading standards, as should everyone. Why should the get rich at our expense.

Posted on 15 Jan 2012 21:47:17 GMT
F. Philp says:
Love my actifry for chips but after only a year the paddle and the filter have both snapped. The plastic they are made of seems to be of poor quality for the price I paid for the product. Will not be recommending it to anyone.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  77
Total posts:  135
Initial post:  10 Nov 2009
Latest post:  8 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Acti-Fry by Tefal AL800040  Low Fat Electric Fryer, 1 kg Capacity, White, OLD
Acti-Fry by Tefal AL800040 Low Fat Electric Fryer, 1 kg Capacity, White, OLD by Tefal
4.2 out of 5 stars   (1,021)