Customer Discussions > The Hunger Games forum

Teenage fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 May 2010 18:44:44 BDT
Hey everybody looking for interesting teenage fiction that would be suitable for a 15 nearly 16 year old girl. Some of the things i have read and loved are:

The Hunger games trilogy- Suzanne Collins
The Host-stephanie Myer
Lost Art of keeping secrets-Eva Rice
Wicked lovely-Melissa Marr
Maximum Ride Series- James patterson
Nightworld-Ljsmith
Blood ties and the medusa project series-Sophie Mckenzie
What i saw and how i lied-Judy Blundell

Though if there are any Adult books suitable i would also be interested. Thanks for reading looking forward to you're suggestions!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2010 00:05:41 BDT
Ashley says:
These are some of my favourite books:

The Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn
The Noughts and Crosses Series by Malorie Blackman
The Kite Runner/A Thousand Splendid Suns
All of Eva Ibbotson's books
The Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare
Gone by Michael Grant

There might be something there you haven't tried yet. Happy Reading!!

Posted on 18 Jun 2010 19:02:20 BDT
Vikertee says:
Seconding Ashley's recommendation of Noughts and Crosses. They go downhill after the first one, but are still beyond incredible.
Also would suggest Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy. They're on the line between teen and adult, and are the books that got me reading sci-fi/fantasy.
And finally, given that this is on the Mockingjay discussions board, I'd suggest Battle Royale, by Koushun Takami. Translated from Japanese, and it's a good six hundred pages long. Suzanne Collins may claim to have got the idea for The Hunger Games from channel flipping between news and reality TV, but Battle Royale is a pretty similar story and a good few years older. Much grimmer than HG in places, but it's an amazing read. The film is also epic, but gory.
Hope these help.

Posted on 27 Jul 2010 01:01:38 BDT
Claire Mill says:
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (it's nothing at all like Twilight and despite the weak series title, it's an awesome series with a lot of depth to it)
Strange Angels by Lili St Crow
Glimmerglass by Jenna Black
White Cat by Holly Black
13 To Life by Shannon Delany
Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

Posted on 12 Aug 2010 15:32:00 BDT
J. R. Mercer says:
If you liked the Hunger Games you'll love Battle Royale.... similar plotline but completely diferent perspective

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2010 20:57:41 BDT
The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness is also truly excellent. In some ways similar to the Hunger Games (set in a dystopian future, with war and the choices it forces people to make, as well as a central "love story") but written in a different style with different twists. I recommend them +++

Posted on 31 May 2011 21:53:01 BDT
i've just turned 16 and some books i love are,
the vampire academy series by richelle mead, they are favioute books
mortal instruments by cassadra clare
im in love with the faythe sander series at the moment the first book is called stray by rachel vincent, it is a adult book but i love the books and would recomend them to anyone
Also i recently read forsaken the demon trappers by jana oliver that the uk title in other countries its called the demon trappers daughter i loved this book and cant wait for the next one to come out,
i hope this helped :)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 12:54:22 GMT
S. R. Rawson says:
Anne McCaffrey, who sadly died last week, wrote some brilliant books set on the world of Pern, well worth a read.

Posted on 22 Jan 2012 14:21:42 GMT
Bex says:
Enclave by Ann Aguirre has a hunger games feel to it.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012 16:01:15 BDT
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Fantastic story about WWII told by Death as the narrator. Surely magical and tears at the end because it ends so wonderfully. The Book Thief

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 18:22:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2012 18:23:14 BDT
I noticed that many of my favorite books were mentioned, but there are a few missing. Here are some of the books you might enjoy reading (if you havent already)
-Noughts and crosses by stephanie meyer
-The other melissa marr sequels to wicked lovely have you read them?Ink exchange and fragile eternity, along with the drakest hour which i'm about to start..
-RJ andersons novels are all great (Ulraviolet ect.)
-And finally Sabu which I suprizingly loved, and thoroughly enjoyed! Hope this helped

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 08:47:11 BDT
The Hunger Games's premise is so unoriginal and outright stolen from much better sources, it's criminal. Forget this trash and go see Battle Royale (Japanese movie with exactly the same premise) or go read Stephen King's The Long Walk (I so hope they will make a decent movie out of this) - although it doesn't feature weapons and bow-hunting, just a VERY VERY long marathon teenagers are involved in and where slow-pokes get shot when their speed falls below a certain mark one too many times. So teenagers these days with their collective attention span of a gnat won't like its slower pace and smarts.

Posted on 24 Aug 2012 12:02:17 BDT
cat1cat1cat1 says:
take a look at the list I made on my profile! They are all my favourite books :) (including the hunger games, harry potter and the host) there are: Delirium, Northern Lights: His Dark Materials 1, Stormbreaker (Alex Rider), Gallagher Girls 1: I`d Tell You I Love You, But Then I`d Have To Kill You, The Help :) please take a look! i love these books

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2013 16:57:56 GMT
Lady says:
Hello, I have just finished an excellent book. I am not normally a fan of this Genre however it was recommended to me from a friend and I thought it was amazing. I am 22 and loved it but I think it is much better for a younger audience, its call Scripted by Dayna Carroll. Its set in the future and follows a 17 year old girl, in England. England has changed and 'life' is no longer as it is today but is like big brother completely controlled and 'scripted' it tackles issues of friends, family, appearance and a romance throughout with lots of action. I think it would be great for a young girl, and I have contacted the author via Twitter and she is only 18 herself which made me like it more. There is also a free sample which is nice as its a rather pricey book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Hunger Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  31 May 2010
Latest post:  14 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - 20 Oct. 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars (4,747)