on 12 July 2011
I bought this microphone to replace a Hama LM-09 Microphone which I believe was a defective unit. I didn't replace the Hama like-for-like because I was recommended this Audio Technica model prior to sending the Hama back.

This mic is suitable for capturing speech from a single person, when coupled with a camcorder or sound recorder that can accept a self-powered mic input via a 3.5mm port.

From looking at previous reviews it would seem that some people looking at the product think it will serve as a PC or laptop microphone. It won't - a lavalier mic is not the appropriate technology at all. You will end up with sound so quiet that digitally increasing the volume causes unacceptable distortion. Also I would suggest that if you want perfect crystal clear audio from any type of microphone you need to expect to be paying substantially more money, and trying to get it from a lav is setting yourself up to fail in any case.

The mic is "okay" for jobs where speech needs to take precedence in the recording, but only if sound quality is not critically important. As with most other cheap lavalier microphones I have used, the mic needs to be pointed straight at the sound source and not placed too close, otherwise the sound is either flattened or clipped respectively. With some devices a distinct hum is created in the sound recording, as other reviewers mention, but this is to be expected from low-end kit, especially since it is not shielded.

I have had variable experiences recording with this, which largely came down to the other equipment in the local environment causing electromagnetic interference. To get the best possible recording from this mic, you will likely need to do the following:

- Know your device's capabilities, e.g. does your camera have an "attenuate audio" function, and do you know how to use it?
- Know the limits of what your software can restore, e.g. if your audio editing package has no high-pass filter then you're going to want to avoid rumbling background noises;
- Turn off your phone/tablet/Blackberry or any other devices using the mobile network BEFORE recording. Air-plane mode will suffice, but simply silencing them will not. You WILL get network chatter embedded in your recordings if you don't turn them off;
- Turn off nearby electrical devices that involve any form of power transformation. This would include power adaptors, chargers, computer towers, laptops, particle accelerators, televisions... basically if it's not a simple circuit (i.e. a lamp) then it's going to cause interference.

This seems quite tedious but it is best practice when you are dealing with low end equipment like this. I don't wish to over-criticise the microphone, because you can only expect so much from a lav at this end of the market; I'm just pointing out the reality of the product.

The build quality is absolutely fine for the price. The control box is in a much more sensible place than it is with the equivalent Hama mic, and it's a more reasonable size. An on/off LED indicator would have been appreciated as I have done the whole "massive long take with the mic turned off" thing already. At 6m long the cable is a really good length, although it also acts as an antenna for interference so this is something of a double-edged sword when you are in an environment you cannot control. I would have appreciated some kind of belt-mounted winder for the cable.

The wind-shield is about as effective as you would imagine (so not very) and pops off the mic head whenever it feels like it, so I can see that being lost fairly soon. The clip however is very enthusiastic and has a firm, positive action. Lastly it is probably worth mentioning that this is a mono microphone, so when you import sound to editing you will need to duplicate it to the second speaker channel if you want stereo.

All in all, it's about what you would expect for the price. Assuming you don't expect the moon on a stick, that is.
77 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 February 2015
 A great budget lavalier microphone - sound is nice and rounded and will suit most novice/entry level users. I recorded the audio for the review with the mic into a Zoom H1 recorder - I then tweaked the audio in Adobe Audition (just to boost the volume slightly). I am really pleased with the results. I have been using a borrowed Sony mic that cost over £300 and to be honest, the Audio Technica faired pretty well (prob because I'm not very technically gifted).

My only issue with this mic is the extra long cable. If you are planning on recording your audio straight into the mic port on your camera, then this would enable you to get some distance away, but for me I find it a pain to store/untangle, and as I am putting the recorder in my pocket, the cable has to trail down my leg and on to the floor. Other than that, a cracking little mic!
on 5 June 2012
I bought this mic to complement my Zoom H4n recorder when doing DSLR video work. For the price I think it's an excellent product. It sounds really good with spoken voice and I definitely recommend it to others - and might buy more if I had a need. I do have a couple of observations that might be useful to others though:

Firstly, the lead is long (great!) but it can only be used at full length. So, if you're intending to put the recording device into the pocket of the person you're interviewing, you still have to use the full length (unbalanced) chord. It would be nice if there was a male-female adapter in there somewhere (such as by the battery casing) to enable a shorter connection when needed- even if the lead isn't supplied. That said, I've been using it in my office a lot which is full of gadgetry and all kinds of sources of interference and not had any issues at all. This is only reason I give four stars rather than five.

The second two observations are really for users of the Zoom H4n so may not apply to others, but I mention here as it's a very popular recorder.

Firstly, the output of this mic isn't particularly hot, so you have to use the rear external mic input. I tried converting the 3.5mm jack from the mic to 7mm mono and also to XLR using a Rode adapter I have for my VideoMic pro and it sounds REALLY quiet. The XLRs on the Zoom are nothing like as sensitive as the rear mic input. This does mean you can't use the stereo mics on the H4n at the same time. It also means that you won't be able to run two of these mics into the XLRs for multi-track recording which may be relevant to other potential purchasers. If this is an issue for you, you will probably need a (more expensive) mic with a hotter output. When using the 3.5mm input on the H4n - or any other recorder with a sufficiently sensitive input, this mic sounds fantastic and therefore, for my needs, I'm very happy with it.

Finally, the 3.5mm jack on the ATR-3350 is straight and not a right-angle jack. That might be great for most uses, but with the Zoom H4n and the need to use the rear-input, this does mean you have to either hold the recorder, or lie it on its side as the mic lead is going straight into the back of the H4n. It also makes putting it into the pocket of the person you're interviewing nigh on impossible. I think a lower-profile right-angle jack would actually be more practical for use on a microphone like this that will very often be used with pocket recording devices. So, while this isn't really a criticism of this microphone, it's something I mention here in case it applies to other potential customers - as I'd suggest buying a 3.5mm right angle adapter at the same time.

In summary - a great sounding microphone, very fit for purpose and I'm a very happy customer that would definitely recommend it to others with the slight caveats / recommendations above.
1111 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2012
This is an amazing microphone for the price. I've been using them for years in situations where I don't want to risk expensive equipment and they have never let me down.
A few important points after reading the other reviews.... they are not really designed to be used for Skype-type applications so don't expect them to be great at that. The clip is fine if you slide it on from the back of the mic. If you force it on from the side the strain will eventually break the plastic so treat them carefully.

A very important point I've just discovered is that the design has recently changed slightly. They used to come with a mono plug which was fine except that it meant you'd only get sound on one channel of a stereo recorder. No real problem as it's obviously a mono mic and you can always sort it out while editing. The new ones have a stereo plug which gives you the same signal on both channels. Good in that there's slightly less fiddling during the edit BUT, for some reason it won't work with some video cameras, for example the Panasonic SD900! They produce a LOT of electronic noise which makes them unusable. I've tried two of them and they both have the same effect. I bought the Hama equivalent microphone, which still has the mono plug, and that works fine. I haven't had a chance to look into it further but just be aware that these mics may not work with your piece of equipment.
on 14 August 2015
Perfect tool for interviews in a professional way (like for documentaries or not news-interviews). The battery lasts long, the sound is very clean, but of course you better plug it into a audio recorder that can set audio level, so there is not risk of saturation. I use it with my zoom recorder. And already bought 2.
on 5 June 2016
The sound quality of this mic is pretty good for the money paid, but for those wanting a more professional clear sound then you may want to look elsewhere. The mic requires a battery which is included and this is a bit fiddly to fit into the tiny slot with a spring in the way. The cable is extra long and although this doesn't bother me, I would have preferred it if this cable could have been supplied as an extension. But these are all minor quibbles. The sounds quality is good for the money and with the right set up, you should be able to get some good results with this.
on 14 November 2015
This is an excellent value lapel mic and I was pleasantly surprised by the very good audio quality. It is supplied with around 20' of cable so you don't even need to buy an extension cable! I am using the microphone to record on-line video reviews and it is ideal. The tonal range produces a very natural sounding voice and the output level matches well with my Olympus OM-D E-M1 camera. The noise floor is also very good and the small amount of additional hiss can only be detected when using closed cup headphones. Some reviewers have criticised the clip and the lack of an ON led but the clip on my model appears to be very sound. However, the clip needs to be mounted by sliding the clip up the cable rather than trying to push it over the microphone body - that would be too much of a stretch. I agree that a power LED would be handy but would also shorten the battery life so I'm happy with no indicator. The LR44 batteries are so cheap (25p each) that I just keep a few in the bag and if I'm recording something particularly important, I put a fresh battery in at the beginning. Overall, the ATR-3350 provides excellent performance at a price some 5x less than its rivals.
on 1 February 2016
I have been looking for a mic to enhance the sound on my DSLR while doing YouTube videos and interview style videos. This device works really well with my DSLR but also does a great job on my iPhone, iPad and Mac which I never had any intention to use but discovering the high level of sound you get it's really great for the price.
I certainly recommend this product to anyone and you'll be 100% happy with it :)
on 14 October 2013
This product was recommended to me as part of a getting started kit for my video creation. It is better than what I would expect from a starter kit type scenario. Professional quality and budget pricing. Yes, I would buy it again.
on 30 March 2012
Just bought the Audio Technica ATR-3350 for use with the Zoom H4N and results have been excellent. I have used far more expensive lapel mics in the past but the Audio Technica is more than a match and really performs, especially for the price. I read and saw reviews discussing a background hiss but when I opened the recorded files in a professional audio program the audio was clean and clear.

If you're a DSLR film maker on a budget and you need to record your audio on a separate device like the Zoom then the Audio Technica ATR-3350 is a great, affordable solution.