on 8 July 1999
I am a very big fan of the Teach Yourself ?? In 21 Days Series, but this book really does let the side down.
The Author starts off by talking far too much about theory which is not backed up with practical exercises which you can try out yourself.
I found there to be things in the later chapters, which I needed to know in order to understand the earlier chapters. For example, it isn't until day 12 that we are shown how to make XML work in Internet Explorer and day 13 for other Internet Browsers. As a result I found myself unable to put into practice any thing I was taught in the earlier chapters.
on 13 January 2000
Xml, let's face it, is a tough subject to learn. I was envisaging months of searching for info, learning, cross-referencing with all the sources, to try and get myself in a position to say I knew what I was talking about. And then this book turns up! To find a writer who not only clearly understands his subject but is able to write in such a clear way is wonderful. Mr North must be recommended highly for this work, and should be THE reference in the future. If you need to know about Xml then do buy this book. I cannot recommend it more highly than that!
on 14 May 1999
I have reviewed many of "Sams Teach Yourself" series. I think Simon did a good job on covering the usefulness of XML without going through the huge SGML background check.
Having three year's SGML programming practices, I still found several surprises and useful reference links in this book.
Well, I have to admit that I failed to finish reading it in 21 "hours" which I normally did for these Teach Yourself books..... ;-)
on 13 May 1999
Normally I don't care for the Teach Yourself in X Days series, but relative to the other 20 some books I've recently looked at on XML, this one is actually pretty decent and includes a lot of helpful links for further readings. A good book to get started with if you're new to XML and want a detailed overview.
on 20 August 1999
I spent quite some time looking for a good XML book. This one is quite exactly what I was looking for. Simon North and Paul Hermans did a good job and made an exception to the "Teach Yourself ..." series.
on 2 August 2000
I agree with the rebiew above that states there is too much theory. The author constantly refers to SGML (which is not much use if you're a beginner!). The XSL section is out of date as well. Very disappointing.