on 8 October 2003
What an easy to read well written and very informative book. This would be suitable for the beginner and student alike. I was suprised at how much I learned from this and would recommend it to anyone seriously interested in the subject. It is definately the easiest and most informative book I have read on the subject and has given me many useful expressions to use in my forthcoming dissertation!
on 4 February 2004
Art: it's not just for the pretentious. This is a book not just for art historians or students of art. As someone with no background (but some interest) in art, I spent years suffering through books more intent on impressing than informing. But I've finally found a breath of fresh air in this book -- and it left me wanting more. The authors take a fun approach to explaining art, so that I came away both entertained *and* informed. I can now hold my own at the snootiest of arty parties. I highly recommend this book to those seeking a good read.
on 6 February 2004
what A GREAT book..I am interested in art but have never been interested in the study of art. This book enabled me to grasp a better understanding and expand my interest in the art world..a must read for people with the passion for, but not the education of, art.
on 19 March 2008
This is an incredibly simple, thoughtful and insightful volume covering the fundamentals of art history. It makes the subject accesible and provides prompt for further research throughout. It also encourages the reader to look in some depth at the prints included to apply the princples discussed.

Excellent.
on 16 July 2008
I have literally just finished this book and I found it very interesting, informative and enjoyable throughout. It breaks down the basics of art history in simple chapters and is easy to read and understand. A fantastic book to get you started, I cant wait to read more on the subject.
on 27 June 2010
In common with other reviews, a splendid read, difficult to fault and hugely enjoyable. Almost made made me want to appreciate Andre's bricks!Wish I knew where these chaps taught.
on 6 October 2011
This books aims to equip its readers to 'develop informed opinions, learn to appreciate different styles, and explore art in context'.

This book does not give a chronological survey of art history through time, although there is a basic timeline towards the end of the volume.

Instead, authors focus on particular themes and ways to look at visual arts from various regions and time periods.

It is really well written, in a very accessible style, still not shallow, and always illuminating and stimulating.

01. What is art and what is art history?
02. Judging by appearances
03. Looking beyond the picture frame
04. Art today: contemporary ways of looking
05. Art in museums and galleries: spectacle and display
06. Categorizing the history of art

Highly recommended if you're after something different from the chronological art history survey.
on 4 October 2010
I really like this book. I am not very knowledgeable about art, but this book is explaining a lot of basic things which is making viewing art more interesting. Easy to understand and I am finding it a very interesting read.
on 10 January 2014
Purchased as a present, was very well received.

This is some text to bring the number of words up to the minimum required.
on 14 August 2010
I bought this book when thinking about studying a Art History course. It's a fab size, and is very informative.
My only critisism would be the amount of text, and reading you have to do. There are not many pictures as reference but none the less is a great book to gain an understanding of art history.

I have now started a art history diploma and although the course comes with its own reading material, I shall certainly refer back to this.