on 21 August 2010
This has to be one of the most cheesy book titles ever (I keep having to tell people 'just wait a minute', once I've told them what it is called), but once you get past that, the contents are great.

Some of the techniques included seem blindingly obvious, some seem initially counter-intuitive, but each technique is clearly explained in terms of what it is trying to achieve, how it works and how to avoid it going wrong. Even the 'obvious' techniques are helpful to read up on, as they reasoning behind them is explained thoroughly. There are plenty of examples of how to put each technique into practice (even if some of the examples, particularly the baseball analogies, will need a bit of cultural adjustment before sharing with British kids).

I'd recommend this for anyone in teaching, whether just starting out, or wanting to brush up a few ideas.
on 22 December 2013
I have just discovered this, and will be recommending as essential reading for all our trainee teachers. You do have to adjust to the Americanisms, but once you've done that it's an excellent read that's full of practical advice. The anecdotes enliven it, making it an enjoyable read as well as one that can help anyone become a yet better teacher.
"The end of a thing is better than its beginning;" -- Ecclesiastes 7:8 (NKJV)

Imagine if a new teacher could grasp the most sophisticated methods of those who are masters of helping youngsters succeed. Wouldn't that be great? Instead of having lots of youngsters discouraged, misbehaving, and dropping out, every student could be engaged. What a delight for everyone!

Not realizing that this book is aimed at K-12 teachers, I ordered the book hoping to gain some insights into how I could improve as an adult education instructor. Like many such people, I have never taken an education course and never expected to have a classroom to lead. Although parts of what is described aren't appropriate for adults, I was impressed to see how many of the techniques would allow me to accomplish more, the students to be more engaged, and more learning to take place. I dearly wish I had read this book ten years ago!

If you know a young teacher (or an older one who wants to improve), this book would make a great gift. With it, a teacher can check her or his methods to see how they stack up with other ways to accomplish the same or similar tasks. The DVD is a great blessing for turning the concepts into live examples. I don't know of another book that provides so much hands-on, best practice advice for the kinds of challenges that all classroom teachers encounter.

I liked the book so much that I intend to use it as a model for some of my future books for instructing people in advanced practices of all sorts. Don't miss it!

Doug Lemov has a nice style of explaining how a technique can go wrong . . . as well as explaining how to make it go right. I was impressed by that because I have seen many of these techniques misused over the years, which made me reluctant to use some techniques. Now that I know how to overcome the problems that I have observed, I can see many ways to get more done and keep more engagement by the students.

I particularly liked the idea of being sure that students are instructed and drilled on how to do things before expecting them to accomplish results. Nice!
on 29 January 2014
I got the title of this book from the TV programme currently running on BBC3 and thought would be good to have a copy as I am training to be a teacher. Comes with a DVD and gives instructions on where to use the DVD in the book. Great book to keep in the bag or at hand while I am training.
on 5 May 2013
I am a real reviewer who is currently in at the deep end teaching very difficult children. I'm only going to write a short review because I find it hard to believe that any teacher couldn't learn lots from this book. All meaty, relevant techniques that work in the classroom to make sure you actually get the kids LEARNING. Best book on teaching I have read. "Classroom behaviour" by Bill Rogers is great as well.
on 28 May 2013
Excellent book written by a man who comes across as insightful and blessed with real common sense. This books reads like it wants to help you become a better teaching and not showcase how great the author is. I have taught in extremely challenging schools for ten years and have consistently been graded as a good to outstanding teacher by both my peers and the government and I was better the following day after reading the first few chapters. For the last 8 years I have been involved with the mentoring of trainee and new teachers and in the delivering of whole school CPD - this role just got easier. The trick to getting the most out of this book is to read it with an very open and honest mind - many, many of the tips are familiar, but do you really do them well and do you really do them all the time. If you add consistency to the tips in this book you will fly. There are even some brilliant and decievingly simple techniques that border on the micro management of the class, but as a practioner that runs a behaviour unit I can wholeheartedly endorse this approach. I have started using this book in a weekly 30 minute coaching breakfast and the attendees get better by committing to a couple of techniques every week - I recommend teachers to buy this book and not let the title put them off.
on 28 June 2010
I am halfway through reading "Teach like a Champion" and already I know it is one of the most accurate, relevant and interesting books of my whole teaching career. In it, the author Doug Lemov has examined the top teachers in a catchment area in the US, and has carefully analysed and dissected their strengths into 47 techniques. These techniques are all accessible, all explained clearly (with DVD clips, in case you aren't completely sure) and I can already see the impact they are having in my lessons. It is a phenomenal book, and has actually explained events and habits that have formed over the past eleven years as a teacher; why some things work well, and how to refine simple skills to get an even better result. I would urge any employee in education to invest in this book, as it will open up a world that you think you knew, only in much more detail.
on 19 February 2014
This is simply a masterclass of outstanding ideas to improve your teaching. I tried out the first 4 tips the day afrer reading the book and they transformed the lesson (and subsequent lessons). Rolling out the ideas now on a regular basis. Well written and full of ideas.
on 21 August 2013
When you do buy it make sure you stick with it and get to the end. The work on literacy gets a bit detailed but it makes so much sense. Don't go with the folk who decry these methods. They are wrong and if we could organise our schools using most of the ideas from this model then our children would learn like champions.
on 14 March 2014
This book is phenomenal. It is full of techniques that will transform your own approach to teaching and make you think about your existing methods that can be refined. It is not pedagogy heavy, but instead provides clearly written sections that improve on different areas of teaching.
You probably do some of them already, but trust me there is always a new trick for each old dog and this has a lot of them