on 23 November 2009
(2nd edition reviewed.) I travelled to Tanzania with two guidebooks - Footprint and Bradt - both chosen since they were published in mid-2009 and have reasonable reviews here on Amazon. They're a good complement to each other. The Bradt guide is big, opinionated and insightful, one gets a sense that the author has been there, rather than having the illusion of guidebook box ticking. The Footprint guide, on the other hand, is more compact, more willing to make a recommendation and feels somehow more current.

The two authors clearly know what they're talking about and cover areas that are somewhat off the beaten trap. Having taken this guidebook into the field and used it (admittedly only in the more touristed areas and not using dala dala to every destination) the information is spot on. It was good to see that they were willing to make recommendations, which were in my experience good ones.

One thing I was cautious of before setting off was the format of the book. It's hardback - sokething I've not seen in a travel guide before - but this turned out to be surprisingly good, and it's not a heavy volume. The information is well laid out and up-to-date (as of November 2009)

If I were pushed to take only one, then for practical reasons it'd be this one. Recommended.
on 8 November 2006
For many years I used Lonely planet but in recent years I have become a Footprint convert. The Tanzania guide is excellent. All of the information was correct with hotel reviews and prices being spot on. People often looked at my guide and compared it to Lonely planet. Almost all commented about how much better the information was.

It is not always easy to find all the information but rest assured it is accurate and will be in there.
on 14 August 2009
We have just used this book for a safari in Tanzania and Zanzibar. The information was accurate and useful and laid out in a format that was easy to use and a pleasure to read.
on 8 January 2012
This book saw me through my travels around Tanzania in 2010 and gave me lots of useful hints and tips of places to go and see! I would recommend this to anyone who wants to brush up on the area before travelling and for some great tips when there!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2012
Good book with lots of useful information, took it with me last year (2011) and used it everyday never disappointed
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2010
I've just come back from a holiday here and had a great time. I didn't need the book whilst over there but it was useful for reference before I left