Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Rubycon forum

Tangerine Dream?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Dec 2009 11:39:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2009 11:42:45 GMT
rhyseagull says:
Hi, Id like to get some Tangerine dream, but not sure where to start, is there a definitive album, their "dark side of the moon"
so to speak?, I'm into floyd,unkle,doves,early chems etc,
any comments appreciated, cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2009 18:55:41 GMT
Doc Benway says:
Hi tangerhys. I think a lot of people regard Stratosfear as TD's best album. I prefer Alpha Centauri. I think you'll enjoy working out for yourself which you prefer - my advice is get them both!

Posted on 24 Feb 2010 16:20:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Feb 2010 16:42:24 GMT
PRTM says:
A definitive TD album? Wow, that's a hard one. TD have been around for 40 years now, and their sound has changed a lot over that time. They've had numerous changes to their line-up and they've changed record labels several times - which means there isn't a decent compilation album you can buy that has music from every era of their career. For me though their best albums are probably Alpha Centauri (1971) (one of the first and best ambient albums ever made), Atem (1973) (superb!), Phaedra (1974), Rubycon (1975), Stratosfear (1976), The Sorcerer OST (1977), Tangram (1980), Exit (1981), Hyperborea (1983) and Poland (1984) which in my opinion was their last really good album - after that the quality is a bit variable and I can't say I'd recommend anything from TD from about the mid 90s onwards, but that's just my opinion. Hope this helps! :)

Posted on 20 Nov 2010 01:26:18 GMT
Cook Derek says:
There are well over 100 TD albums, including studio albums, concerts, soundtracks and, more recently, commissioned opuses. My decision was to buy compilations and get a sense of where TD have been and where they may be going, then I can buy into the specific "era" that most speaks to me, whenever i eventually work that out. There are six releases I'm working from that together provide over 200 tracks spanning a great many TD releases (mainly studio) from 1970-2007 fairly evenly, and at an affordable combined cost:
The Collection
Dream Sequence: the Best of Tangerine Dream
Book of Dreams [German Import]
Tang-Go: the Best of Tangerine Dream 1990-2000/the Tdi Catalogue Vol.1
An Electronic Journey (10cd)
Ballads
Though of course the "true" fans would never stoop so low as to recommend compilations. Like I said, however, I'm mainly interested in getting an overview, and I find this works great.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2011 23:46:52 GMT
R. Pievaitis says:
hi,for the definitive album go get rubycon first then phaedra.
i will not bog you down with any more details as to why i suggest this other than i have heard them both for over 30 odd years and if you want to know any more e mail me simple hey !
ps let me know what you think if you do buy rubycon.wait for the sequencers to kick in after about 7 minutes - turn it up loud and relax !

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2011 20:50:30 GMT
P. Corner says:
Sorry Guys but if you want to hear a tangerine Dream album for the first time you have to go for Encore. The epitome of their sound in the mid seventies and four massive pieces of music for your money. Best single albums are definitely Phaedra and Force Majeure. Anything in between them was pretty good though. If you want to get into the eighties you have to be very picky!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rubycon forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  13 Dec 2009
Latest post:  20 Feb 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Rubycon
Rubycon by Tangerine Dream (Audio CD)
4.5 out of 5 stars (56)