on 6 March 2012
I don't think I have ever read a book more than once,I have certainly never read a book more than twice but I know as I near the end of Maria's book for the second time that the 1st thing I'm likely to do when I finish it is to start it all over again! It is not only a highly entertaining and inspirational memoir of Maria's life so far,showing just how caring, modest and unassuming one person can be. It is also a wealth of medical knowledge and stories delivered with the most incredible detail in a warm, endearing and amusing dialect. (Be careful, I woke up thinking like a Geordie! "Away Man!" I hear you say, but it's true!)Absolutely amazing read, a perfect gift for Mother's Day by the real Angel Of The North.
on 8 March 2012
I have never been so engrossed in a biography before, this is a 'cant put down read' From the early days of Maria's career as a student nurse, to becoming a student midwife (who thought she wouldn't cut it!) then onto community, working with prisoners, women from such diverse backgrounds and faith even working with children becoming mothers themselves. This book offers an incredible insight into the life of a modern day midwife, Maria recalls some hilarious antidotes, poignant memories and some awkward situations all while attending each situation with her trademark red lippy. You can not help but read this book in a Geordie accent!! Maria's writing is incredibly witty, well put together and flows beautifully, whether you work in the field or not, this book is for everyone.
on 3 March 2012
I cannot recommend this book enough. I read this book so quickly as I could not put it down. As a mother of two young girls, having the opportunity to understand the role and extended role of a midwife was wonderful. I laughed and cried at the trials and tribulations that Maria went through as an extremely dedicated midwife, wife, friend, mother etc. A must read!!!!!!!
on 13 August 2012
This book is worth a read. I enjoyed Maria's very honest account of midwifery dating back to the 1980's. She seems to put an awful lot of herself into each delivery. It is extremely apparent she does care for the woman and babies she helps to look after and deliver into this world. This is a refreshing thought when nowadays it seems quite a few young up and coming health professionals do not seem to understand the concept of being a nurse/midwife means you do actually have to care for the patients you look after. (To be a good one anyway!)
I enjoyed the stories about the more disadvantaged members of our society and her duty of care towards them whilst being careful not to judge them, a very hard postion to be in I can only imagine.
I do agree with other reviews that the book was a little simplistic and did gloss over quite a few points but as a quick and gentle insight into the life of a midwife it did open my eyes and will make me review how I would behave if I ever have the chance to be in the labour ward with my daughter or sister. A good read.
on 4 April 2012
I read this via my kindle and what a read it was.
From start to finish it had my total interest. Although Maria wrote a little bit about her personal life, training and her family, it was so interesting.
Her stories of births were heartwarming, sometimes funny, some sad. The way she related her first visits to the maternity wards as a trainee had me laughing, oh dear I thought, how is she going to cope. She has proved herself though to be a first rate midwife with an excellent caring nature.
This was a good book and I would recommend it to anyone.
on 2 April 2012
Tales of a Midwife is a fantastic read. A laugh a minute on how a young geordie lass from Jarrow achieved her dream to be come a Midwife. An insight guide on the in's and out's of a NHS Nurse, on what she had to do and learn to pass her exams. Top notch book and well worth a read.
on 18 April 2012
This book totally captivated me!
I bought it for taking on holiday, I had a sneak peek at the first chapter and couldnt put it down.
Fantastic view at a wonderful lady who dedicated her life to midwifery :)
on 15 April 2012
Very good book. Had great difficulty putting it down until I had finished the book. Just wish that Maria had been around when I had my children in Raigmore Hospital.
on 20 March 2012
This book is SUCH a good read. I purchased from amazon on a Sunday evening and it was promptly waiting for me on the Monday evening when i arrived home from work- i started to read it on Monday evening and by the following Sunday i was on the last chapter. I literally couldnt put this book down!
Maria Anderson tells her stories in such a gripping in interesting way.
I was gutted when the book ended as i enjoyed it so much.
If you are interested in and enjoy reading about babies/birthing stories- buy this NOW! you will not regret it!
Amazon is the cheapest on line as well- £3.99 is such a bargain!
I cannot rave about this book enough!
Enjoy!!
on 11 March 2012
I per-ordered my copy and was so excited when it arrived. From the very beginning of the book I was captured by Maria's true story of her as a little girl growing up and fulfilling her longed for ambition of becoming a midwife. Maria talks about her journey through her student days to her current position with pride, passion and lots of laughter like a true Geordie. This book will have you laughing and crying as it follows Maria's experiences through her career. I have not been disappointed with this book and would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read about true life experiences as a midwife.