Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > The God Delusion forum

TV Mediums....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Feb 2009 12:49:31 GMT
AJ says:
Do any of the likes of Van Pragh, John Edwards, Colin Fry & the throng on Living TV add anything to the debate?
My mother watches these and seems convinced. However, I remain very sceptical....If the dead were really talking to them, wouldn't they just be that little more specific, instead of fishing around with 'J' names, connections to a month with a 3 in it, and asking who had the older female to the side who has passed in the last ten years etc, etc...

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2009 13:36:16 GMT
Vinogradov says:
Well, it probably does add something to the debate.

Those TV mediums are (obviously) lying for money - perhaps one in 100 is a sincere believer in their own powers, but the remainder are cynical and rich in equal measure.

Most religious believers are probably closer to 'self-deluded but sincere'. But both positions speak volumes about the human propensity for wishful thinking and self-deception.

Posted on 7 Feb 2009 15:10:44 GMT
AJ says:
You can also add cruel to that list; as they are often reducing vulnerable people to sobbing wrecks!
I have to say I do like the Sensing Murder show on Living TV, if only for the cases themselves as opposed to the supposed psychic detection.
At the polar opposite, of course there is the one man sham that is Derek Acorah - so deceitful, he should be in government!

Posted on 7 Feb 2009 18:08:09 GMT
I must disagree with you Derek not even 1 in a 100 believes in their own powers, as they are all charaltans. The process is called cold reading which is cleverly designed to ask very general questions which apply universally but seem very personal. i.e ifyou ask a room of people if the name David means something to them, chances are it will to someone. Then if someone in the audienc says yes 'that was my fathers name' you can determine from the 'was' that this person is deceased and therefore go on from there. Its actually a rather clever skill, but is in my opinion used despicably by these frauds who make a profit from other peopls pain.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2009 14:28:05 GMT
Vinogradov says:
Well, I suppose I'm being generous. I just think that we shouldn't ignore the possibility that some people genuinely think they are hearing voices (perhaps as a symptom of underlying mental illness) and go on to believe that they are getting messages from the other side... I do of course agree that the overwhelming majority are simply crooks. In particular, the ones who make it to TV have probably honed the act down to a level of professionalism that would be difficult for an honest but deluded 'psychic'.

Posted on 10 Feb 2009 09:24:43 GMT
Chris says:
I cannot disagree with the points raised here (although I think we should have some sources if we make claims like 99% are lying) - and yet surely the important question is not how can we show these people as charlatans, but what do we offer to fulfil the obvious need people, like Mrs Jackson, have for them?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2009 17:20:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Feb 2009 17:21:23 GMT
I don't think the need shall ever subside, and sadly these people will always have prey to exploit. I think the main reason behind them is, the fear of death that probably resides on the vast majority of people, not to mention the pain and lonliness which ensnares the poeple who attend shows and meetings with these 'mediums'. It may very well have something to do with the manner in which their loved ones departed, things left unsaid or bad blood etc can be the most cloudy of mists on a persons rational senses. Maybe in some way these people do need a lift or to feel like they have made amends for their own well being, personaly I do not share this philosophy I am very comfortable with the idea of death and it doesn't perturb me in the least. It upsets me though that the people who do need closure etc are exploited often for money at the hands of someone who knows, categorically, 100%, for definate, that they are liars.

Posted on 1 Mar 2009 12:34:43 GMT
AJ says:
Sky TV is becoming full of this stuff, especially Living TV!! There's more of it every week, I wonder how people can knowingly deceive grieving relatives, unless they actually believe it themselves!! Is it a con, are they mentally deluded or is there something paranormal going on?
I did see a programme on the Paranormal Channel on Sky, Billy Roberts Investigates - It focused on 2 Transmediums, and I'm not saying I believe it, but if they were putting it on then it was out of this world acting, then again maybe it was OUT OF THIS WORLD acting! Did anyone see this at all??

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2009 13:56:32 GMT
Here is a programme in which Richard Dawkins talks to Derren Brown, who goes on to explain how mediums work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xswt8B8-UTM&feature=PlayList&p=55A986E56B106611&index=0&playnext=1

Posted on 13 Jan 2011 21:05:34 GMT
I think it sad that so many of you choose to say ALL are charlatans. I am called A Sceptical Medium and have a blog and book of that name. There are so many frauds and money making scam merchants and the theatrics on television are nothing to do with real mediumship. I spend so much time trying to teach people all of that is wrong and to save their money, however, if any of you went to a REAL medium who is naturally born, nothing to do with spiritualism, hugging trees and the like, I think you would maybe wonder a little. I am a natural medium and I know many, many people who claim to be and only about two actually are.
To be sceptical and doubting is healthy, to be so adamant there is nothing to things just because we can't understand them isn't. To see two sides is the only way to be able to judge 100%

Posted on 13 Jan 2011 21:06:02 GMT
I think it sad that so many of you choose to say ALL are charlatans. I am called A Sceptical Medium and have a blog and book of that name. There are so many frauds and money making scam merchants and the theatrics on television are nothing to do with real mediumship. I spend so much time trying to teach people all of that is wrong and to save their money, however, if any of you went to a REAL medium who is naturally born, nothing to do with spiritualism, hugging trees and the like, I think you would maybe wonder a little. I am a natural medium and I know many, many people who claim to be and only about two actually are.
To be sceptical and doubting is healthy, to be so adamant there is nothing to things just because we can't understand them isn't. To see two sides is the only way to be able to judge 100%
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The God Delusion forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  7 Feb 2009
Latest post:  13 Jan 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The God Delusion
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (Paperback - 21 May 2007)
3.9 out of 5 stars (1,490)