My wife had been nagging me to get her old Windows XP laptop, which came without wi-fi, onto our recently installed wireless router network. I tried two PCMCIA wi-fi cards and neither would work, XP refusing to acknowledge them as new hardware ... faulty PCMCIA slot ... quite possibly.

After that frustration I had all but given up when I came upon this tiny USB wi-fi unit. Installing it was a piece of cake despite the rather daunting user manual. Ran the CD installation that comes with it, inserted the product in a spare USB 2.0 port and followed the instructions to register the new hardware that was detected.

The wireless settings basically configured themselves once it had found by router signal. Just entered the password and it was all systems go. Superb product.

It's earned me a few brownie points with the wife I can tell you.

P.S. Thought I should add for those technically challenged like me. This "N Speed" adapter is fully backward compatible with older 'b' and 'g' wireless networks (my router is only a 'g' and it works perfectly)
on 17 September 2010
Our laptop started to shut itself down every time I flicked the wireless switch to the on position. There are lots of these usb adapters around , but we chose this one because it is so small. It does the job perfectly. I carry it around in my laptop case. Just be careful - if you are on the internet for a long time the silver bit that slips into the laptop can get quite hot. I really like this buy. It makes life so much easier. It is not much hassle at all to plug this into the usb port and then I can surf the net for hours without even getting a technician to look at my faulty wireless button! It works wherever there is wireless internet. This has made such a massive difference to my work-life at very little cost.
on 3 October 2012
Not a bad speed, still faster than the Micro version of this.
Tested with wired (ethernet) first, it was about 60Mbps. Through this adapter, it was roughly 15Mbps (strong wireless signal). With the Micro version (not this version) about 10Mbps. So, not bad but not great, either. For this price you can't expect much more. Good signal, though. Was quite impressed by the range!
on 4 March 2012
I had a 15m wire from my wireless router to the laptop that was really bad (except for the speed)
I ran the cd, plugged in the dongle and put in my wireless code and I was away...
Computers WIFI g/b= 7 - 12 mbps
wired conection = 36 mbps
THIS MINI DONGLE.= 32 mbps

Need I say more, great price and great speed!
on 30 November 2011
I had a few issues getting this to work.
Windows Vista (Vista is horrible by the way) went and automatically installed the drivers.... incorrectly. Consequently, any attempts to connect to any WiFi connection resulted in the almost immediate failure, with Windows failing to 'repair' or 'diagnose' the problem.
Re-installing the drivers using the installer on the provided CD fixed this problem, additionally now displaying the possibility to use the 'WPS button' when attempting to connect to my network, which it didn't with the automatic Vista driver install.

On Ubuntu Linux 10.04, the problems were worse, and the solutions on Google weren't very helpful.
In the end, I downloaded the latest version of rtl8192sfw.bin I could find from a reputable source and placed it in a new folder named /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU (root was needed for this.)
(Note: rtl8192sfw.bin is actually already in one of the folders in /lib/firmware/, but is both out of date, and not in the correct folder.
(Link: [...])
This caused the USB to be picked up, and be able to connect to the network, but with 96% of packets being dropped (according to ifconfig). Looking in the system logs, I noticed it kept on disconnecting and reconnecting the vmnet-bridge.
After many failed attempts, to fix this, I downloaded the official kernel driver from [...], extracted the driver source, then ran
./make
./make install
./clean
and then edited /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (again, root is needed for this), and added
blacklist r8192s_usb
With these steps done, and after reboot, it now works.

Once I got it working on both systems, after this hard work (during which I was thinking of sending the device back), it works like a charm, giving me the full 35megabits/sec speed I know my network can give me (tested with speedtest.net)
There are only two downsides:
1.) If you have the device plugged in when Windows/Ubuntu starts, it will need to be unplugged and re-plugged back in before it will work
2.) When you have very few USB slots like I do, then it does eat up one of them.

Overall, A very good product...... when you've managed to get it working.
on 5 February 2011
I do not usually write product reviews as generally I know what I am getting for my money. Having just moved over to Virgin, I thought that I would upgrade my old G to an N to get the best from my new super fibre optic broadband. I looked at quite a few adapters and finally settled on this one, partly because of its size as my old one was pretty chunky. Read what it claimed to do but I have been very disappointed about it performance. Half the time it claims that my router is not broadcasting so cannot find it. My router is down stairs in my living room and I am upstairs one room across in my office. I know that it is not the router because both of the laptops in the house regardless of where they are never have this problem. I have even used my laptop which has an in-built n in the office to see if it is the location. I am so fed up with seeing the two computers with the red x through it denoting no network in the bottom right hand corner of the screen that I am going back to my old G. When it does work the signal is either average or poor, then it connects and then immediately drops out. The strength on my laptop is always good or above. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but this has had no effect. It seems that I will have to wait a bit longer to enjoy my new speeds on my desktop. Worse, I do not know which adapter to buy to replace it as I do not want to waste any more money or suffer further disappointment.
on 30 May 2014
It works in a fashion, I have had to plug it in to a USB extender in order for it work at all and the connection is still questionable, but until I can afford a better one it will do.
on 10 June 2012
Very small, extremely effective, this dongle was setup very easily to link to my router. It is fast, efficient, and is adequate to the problem involved.
on 11 September 2012
Small but effective, better than my previous wi-fi dongle.

Don't let its small size put you off, it is very effective at what it does!
on 10 October 2012
If you are running Windows 7 forget it. It didn't work for me anyway. Sorry just my experience, you may have better luck.

See one answered question