on 12 December 2010
I bought this card specifically to be used with Linux since it's the only operating system I use.
I works flawlessly out of the box with Ubuntu 10.10, no configuration needed whatsoever.
After boot clicking the network manager icon will present you the list of available networks.
It can reach N speeds too depending on the signal strength.
The antenna provided can be unscrewed in order to connect a more powerful antenna, which I did, using a TL-ANT2405C.
Highly recommended.
88 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2010
At first I wasn't sure about the integrity of this wireless card because it was so cheap. I was searching for a wireless card with Windows 7, 64 bit support
and found this, so far I am very impressed. This Atheros AR9285 chipset is very fast receiving the data over my 54mbps wireless network and compatible with Linux too and it only took 3 days to arrive on the super saver;-))
I am very pleased with this item and would recommend you get it.
77 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2011
I ordered this card to replace my previous 54mbps card and the improvement has been notable, especially when streaming media around the house. The only problem I received was the drivers out of the box did not work at all well. Initially the card would drop signal, not see any networks etc. I contacted the support team and they directed me to some third party unsigned drivers that resolved this issue. While I was happy to have this problem resolved, if they are aware of the driver problems, why not release a set of official drivers that work?!
1111 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2015
I purchased this adapter when I read the answer to a question: Does this adapter work with Windows 10? The answer was yes.
I had no luck installing the driver - it was the best one, according to device manager update.

I contacted TP-Link and was told this adapter does NOT work with Windows 10. When I asked the agent to name an adapter
that did work with Windows 10, I was given the most unhelpful link: It said products with a "yes" support Windows 10. Cannot find "yes" against any products. What a way to convey information about a product. What a waste of time and money!!!

Update several hours later. Because the computer I was working on was for my daughter, and I had upgraded it to Windows 10, I felt guilty about returning it without Wi-Fi, which she absolutely needs. I have several computers, and tried installing this adapter on another 2, following all the suggestions I found on Google. This adapter changed the BIOS settings in my daughter's PC and caused 2 crashes. Luckily I restored normality. No crashes on the next 2 PCs - no luck either, but on the 4th, BINGO! Driver where it should be, no exclamation mark, BUT it did not work. Last gasp, I updated the driver and a beautiful plusnet icon appeared on the taskbar and I can deliver a PC fully functional to my daughter. Those of you familiar with Vista and other Windows OS will conclude "business as usual"

So, I have defied the odds, but unlike the other reviewer, I am giving a qualified yes. This is adapter is OK if you need to get a life.
and, I must thank the reviewer who said a simple yes answering a question for saving my bacon (and pride) - another 2 stars!
on 10 October 2010
I bought this product to run on my windows 7 64bit. It comes with all the instructions on how to install it on XP or vista but not windows 7. How ever the driver is readily avaible to download from the TP link website if required. I didnt even require the driver just worked plug and play for me. I advice u to look inside ur PC before buying to see if you have enough room. It was a tight squeeze for me as my graphics card was kinda in the way. Over all im very happy with him product and it picks up the signal from my wireless router very well 2 floor up in my house. One extra point if you have Kaspersky internet security you MUST disable it when installing or you will not be able to use the adaptor; alot of info and guides are avaiable on the TP link website on the topic.
on 6 January 2015
Setup was easy enough, but signal was low and the connection intermittently dropped altogether. In the end I sent it back for a refund and went back to using a USB wireless adapter, which managed to get a much better signal.
Judging by the number of positive reviews, maybe you will have better luck if your wireless signal is stronger, or perhaps I even got a faulty unit. But for this price, I find it more likely that this adapter simply has poor signal reception.
on 4 October 2012
This PCI express card fitted readily into my main desktop; I use Ubuntu 12.04(a linux OS) and for a brief while I thought I had trouble.
The network symbol was just an outline, unlike my previous experience with a USB dongle.
Not difficult.
Go to System Settings, choose 'Networking'.
Select your network(Wireless router of your choice), supply the password, and connect.

No trouble at all.

My connection to my router is now more than five times faster, and everything 'web' happens in a flash.

Super little device, excellent value for money.
And if you must use Windoze, I expect the driver disk will sort things out.
BTW, the card arrived three days early.
Excellent.
on 14 March 2012
I brought 2 of these, one for my partners windows vista pc and one for my windows 7 pc. The installation on the vista pc was easy. I just fitted the adapter in to the pc, turned it on, ran the included cd to install the drivers and that was it, it was ready to use. However the signal strength is not very good even though the router is only in the hallway right next to the room the pc is in.On the windows 7 pc, i fitted the adapter in the same way, turned on the pc, it automatically found the drivers so i did not need to use the cd. However thats as good as it got. No matter what i tried the adapter would not connect to the router/internet. Baring in mind the simplicity of the installation on the vista pc I am inclined to say that although it states this is compatible with windows 7 that it is not fully compatible. Mine is windows 7 64 bit and it certainly would not work with it. It even froze up my entire pc at one point and I had to load up windows in safe mode and disable the adapter and uninstall the drivers in order to get my pc working again. I tried the drivers on the cd as well as the ones available for download on the website and this made no difference either.
My advice would be if you are running windows 7 64 bit, to avoid this and go for something else.
on 9 February 2012
It installed OK using the Windows driver. Then, a day later, the speed dropped from 5 Mb to almost zero. Then I got the BSOD from Windows several times. I really did think that the blue screen of death was a thing of the past, but TP-Link have proved me wrong. I now find that others have had problems with this card with Win 7 64-bit. I had to remove it from my machine so it hasn't been a very good purchase!
on 15 December 2014
Bought this one for my gaming rig build. Did not want any cables laying around, so this one does the job perfectly. Very good signal, worked out of the box with Windows 8.1 too. Didn't even have to install anything.

As I said, great signal, online multiplayer is not an issue.