4.5 out of 5 stars3,354
Style Name: AV500 1 PortChange

on 21 December 2015
I was thinking of connecting my server to my TV in living room so that I can stream movies across using DLNA network (Serviio). My whole setup was working on wireless network but I had speed and signal issues so I wanted to put it on a more stable wired network. The distance between the server and broadband router was quite a bit and it wasn't easy for me to connect router to server through CAT5 cable running across the wall and rooms. I was told by one of my friend about this adapter and initially I was a bit surprised as how network signals will flow using a Home powerline but I thought to give it a go. Let me tell you that I was amazed to find how clever this product is. I am streaming videos, music, photos across my network to my tele without any issues. It's setup is quite straight-forward and this is what I did:

1) Connect both adapter on same wall socket if possible so you don't have to run across the rooms (see attached picture)
2) Connect one to the broadband router (A) and 2nd to your laptop (B) (turn off wifi at your laptop)
3) Turn the switch on for both adapters
4) After doing above steps within 2-5 seconds my laptop got connected to internet and I could browse without any issue
5) If you want to Secure these adapters then you will have to do pairing between the two by pressing and holding for 2-5 seconds the pair button on Adapter A and then do the same on Adapter B and that's it

I have also attached the output from the TPlink PowerLine Utility.
review image review image
11 comment13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2012
TP-Link PA411 AV500 Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

Ok I went for the 500Mbps ones (but they work on the same principles as the 200 mbps ones, just faster) but was sceptical about 500Mbps over a 1940's built house, but neither the less wanted to give my Virgin Media 120mb line the best chance..

Virgin are always upgrading their broadband connection speed so I'd imagine 200 mbps would be surpassed within a year or two as they roll out 300 mbps and 500 mbps lines going forward.

PAIRING...

Ignore the instructions, just do this...
1) Connect your 1st homeplug to your broadband router via supplied network lead
2) Connect your 2nd homeplug to your other PC/Xbox/Laptop etc
3) Press the pair button on the 1st home plug in for 1 second (power LED will slowly flash)
4) RUN to the 2nd homeplug and press pair button in for 1 Second
5) Both units will flash for a minute or two (not sure why it takes this length of time, but it don't matter - go make a cuppa) and then the connection should be established. Turn on your other PC/Xbox/Laptop device etc and enjoy.

NOTE: You can add another homeplug by pairing with the 1st one.
You can also move the home plug to another socket, you don't need to do any of the above pairing etc as they are already "friends".

After this I went to get some food but came back and now wanted to test the speed of these badboys! I installed the supplied software and after a fiddly time trying to get the 2nd homeplug picked up by the software (though it still allowed network traffic - just the software couldn't see it) I was horrified to see a paltry 11mpbs!
I moved both homeplugs to an original build double power socket in the kitchen, attached the network lead from the router to homeplug no 1 and retested. They were both next to each other in the same socket and I was still stuck on 11mpbs!

FAULTY! So I slept on it and was ready to send these back. However, I had been testing all this time with the XBOX switched off assuming the speed seen in the software was between homeplugs. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The speed reported is between DEVICES, if one is switched off, the software ALWAYS reports 11 mpbs. So to get a true speed, you HAVE TO have both devices (router and PC/Xbox/Laptop etc) switched on!

I'm now getting 327Mbps, which is still a bit shy of 500Mbps but I'm happy with that as my research on google has shown not a lot of people can get near that. For the extra £9 the 500Mbps version are a bit more future proof and a lot better if being used on a home network where speeds will exceed the broadband im using.
Happy to help anyone who needs advice, just drop me a line.
9292 comments1,097 of 1,141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2012
Amazing little things. Loved the first pair so much I bought another pair!
I decided to get the 500mbps instead of the ever-so-slightly cheaper 200mbps and I dont think there would be much difference in performance but I like to future-proof since we've just had fibre optic installed (can handle our 30mbps connection no problem)

REMEMBER: 500mbps doesnt mean 500megabytes per second, it means 500megabits per second.
(Google it if you want to find out more but you divide the mbps by 8 to give you megabytes value)

Quite easy to setup, little instruction manual explains everything pretty simply.

MY ONLY WORD OF WARNING
To pair the connectors up in a network you need to press the button for a specific length of time, and wow it has to be exact. If you're not getting the power light blinking slowly its not looking for anything to pair BUT keep trying! Try and press it for a bit longer perhaps - until you get the power light to flash - then the same on the other plug.
Adding the second pair was easy, do them one at a time - Trigger it to begin pairing, find an existing one and tell that to pair, wait a minute or two for them to get acquainted, then same for the forth.

EQUIPMENT TESTED ON:
So far tested sucessfully on:
NAS (Network Attached Storage) Drive - NSA310 Zyxel to be exact
Sony Playstation 3
Numerous Desktop PCs and Laptops - Win 7, Vista.
Sky Anytime box to give Anytime+ HD (niiiiiiice)
Additional switches - so you'd like to split the connection further once its back out the wall, pick up a cheap ethernet switch and you're sorted. Theres a relatively cheap TP Link Switch on the market for around £13-£15 that Im sure would do the trick but I'm using an Edimax I had spare. (P.S. Might help if it states its a Gigabit switch too, just in case)

DO I HAVE TO PLUG THEM DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL?
Not always. They word fine on a NON-SURGED extension lead, just like those cheap 4/5 plugged ones from IKEA, I've found they dont always have to be plugged into the wall socket - especially since they can be a bit wide. Thats also worth noting for extension leads. If you've got a 4 socket extension, you may struggle to fit something next to the Adapter.
For surged extension leads the speed can drop off. Would you notice in browsing the web? Not sure - but if you do it, try to use non-surge if you're desperate for additional ports.

DOES IT COME WITH CABLES?
Yes, two yellow Cat 5e cables which is a nice extra - it would have been a pain to hunt around for spare cables.

DOES IT PLAY HD MEDIA?
On our house yes it does. Successfully streaming 10GB+ High Definition movies from bottom floor to the attic. Transfer speed tops around 8megabytes a second which is excellent (thats not the same as 8mbps remember ;) )

Happy to answer any questions in comments.
55 comments147 of 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2014
I have a smart tv that was using wifi to watch iplayer and it kept buffering which made me turn it off. after being told about this adapter i was a bit reserved in judgement as i know nothing about technology.
the kit arrived, i plugged it in, it connected. after about 10 minutes, i switched on the tv and now i dont have any more buffering.
i dont know if this was the best kit or the worst but it works very well for me and i have purchased another kit for a wifi booster and my daughters tv.
33 comments71 of 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2014
Rubbish, caused periodic drop outs which was especially annoying when online gaming on the playstation. And that was in a small 2 bedroom flat with new wiring. I definitely would NOT recommend these TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack they are more of an annoyance than anything else.
on 28 February 2013
When the telephone extension line to my office packed in (and threw me into a blind panic) the TalkTalk engineer (who was unable to repair the line) suggested I get a pair of Powerline Adapters plugs instead. I had never heard of them and was pretty skeptical. Ordered them from Amazon due to Amazon's history of resolving any problems/simple returns and wanted to play safe (not in a Shades of Grey way). I opted for the slightly more expensive 500mps in the hope of better speed. Setting them up was a doddle - although they didn't pair the first time around. Second time paired up instantly. I've only had them a for a few days and I'm amazed that resolving my internet issue has been this simple. However ..... sometimes my internet access seems a bit sluggish and not sure why this is. Think it might be due to the powersaving mode: if not in use then they switch to this mode and I think it takes a a few seconds to boot up again. This apparently reduces energy costs - which I hadn't considered before I bought so I don't know if this means my energy bill will go up because now the internet is driven by electrical wires and not the telephone line. Nonetheless, given that this seems to be the way forward (according to the TalkTalk engineer) I can't imagine that the cost would be significant. Even though I can't see the adapters I do like the design which is much smarter than the plain white plastic ones in Maplin which I nearly bought. But then I am a bit of a style slave. In hindsight I wonder if the 200mps probably would have been fine given the ones I bought don't see to deliver super fast internet access. Overall,and based on early days, pretty impressed and would recommend.
on 3 October 2014
There's a known issue with these. it is discussed on the tp-link forum. they just drop the connection randomly. could be once a day, twice in 10 minutes, completely random. then you have to either power cycle them, or wait 10 minutes. feels like a firmware issue, but as of now there hasn't been an update for over a year.

otherwise speed is good. but it hardly makes up for the drop outs.
44 comments43 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2012
I recently bought a Samsung Smart TV and found that the wireless connection in our bedroom was not good enough to use the Smart element of the TV (needs 10Mbp believe it or not!). We currently have a virgin broadband router that consistently produces about 30 Mbp when tested by speedtest.net. The speedtest on the wireless in the bedroom was at about 6-7 mbp so I thought that these units would solve my problem by providing a wired speed nearer to the 30mbp we get downstairs. Connecting and pairing the two units was incredibly easy and yes they do work well (even in plugboards). However the speed in the bedroom was only 12-14 Mbps - a considerable improvement on the wireless speed, but no where near the actual speed coming out of the router. Clearly there is considerable speed loss the further the signal needs to travel along the mains wires (different ring mains etc) So buy these with your eyes wide open - if you have a poor wireless signal they will probably increase the speed but be aware it is not the same as plugging in an ethernet cable direct from the router into your PC, Smart TV etc.
44 comments157 of 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style Name: AV500 1 PortVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These things are AMAZING.

For years now, I have been constantly raging at wireless - a technology that despite its prominence has always struck me as not really ready for prime-time. It's a system that requires, in my experience, almost constantly curation to maintain anything like a usable network, and too erratic and unreliable for anything other than bare internet access. Admittedly I have four computers, a laptop, several mobile phones and a tablet all using the same connection - but that's besides the point. Wireless has been a technology which is super convenient but not actually very good.

And along comes networking via the power lines. I was, I admit, extremely skeptical that it would be viable - I'd heard a lot of negativity about how flaky the technology was, and since I hadn't kept up with new developments I had just assumed nothing had really improved.

Consider me a convert.

Setup is a breeze - plug the devices into wall sockets, press the pairing button at the bottom, and then you can plug them into any wall socket in the house. Connect an ethernet cable from your computer to the adapter, and bam - you have a fast, rock solid network connection that doesn't constantly drop on you. What's more, you can have as many of them as you need on your network - just buy another device, pair it, and away you go.

The sole drawback is that they take up a wall socket (you can't plug them into a gang plug), but if that's a deal-breaker for you you can spend a little more to get pass-through adapters.

(Almost) all the convenience of wireless, but with all the reliability of wired. What more could you ask for>
55 comments148 of 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2013
Would have five stars only for the fact that it is not made clear that the Ethernet port is 10/100 Mbps and not Gigabit. So while the connection between the units can go up to 500 Mbps, 330 Mbps in my case, the connection out of them is up to a fifth of this only i.e. 100 Mbps. The spec/table does not refer to it specifically; marketing at it's finest.

I was very disappointed to find this and was that close to sending it back but couldn't be bothered and considering that it is only connecting to a PS3 there is no need for Gigabit. However it is better to use Gigabit over 10/100 - more pipe for data to flow.

I am an I.T professional and while maybe I should of checked the spec before ordering I didn't have a need to considering the 500 Mbps tag, being faster than 10/100 Mbps - I wouldn't of assumed that maybe there is no Gigabit port.

My only hope now is that if I do buy a AV500 (Gigabit) unit, to use as the base (at the gigabit switch), that it will sync with the others.

Aside from the above TP-Link products are well worth the money. I have a WiFi AP and Switch from them for a while now and they work perfectly, especially for the price point.