on 19 September 2014
First of all, note on the positive reviews of this that it's Chinese names with just one review. Is it shilling? I'll let you decide. All I know is the signal on this is absolutely crap. In the middle of my city, where phone coverage is always 100%, this dongle can only get 40% signal! So in rural areas where I wanted to use this, it didn't have a hope of picking up a signal. The reception on this is just terrible.

Also, the SIM card slot makes it very awkward to get the SIM out. It might sound like a small thing but it took me ages as the SIM gets really stuck in and there's nothing to grab onto to get it out.

The software itself wasn't bad, I could set it up. But none of that matters if I can't get reception.
on 25 July 2015
Got this as a backup for my broadband as I work from home a lot. Easy to insert the SIM card, no need to install software from a CD as it's included on the device. The only issue I had was Windows installing the drivers which took a while - make sure you wait for Windows to finish faffing around with everything before you open up the TP-Link software. Once everything was ready I ran the software and connected without any problem. Just what I need.
on 17 October 2015
I was sceptical at first having read the poor reviews, however I found the item fast and easy to use via my PC. It is self loading as far as software was concerned, it was easy to navigate round, and having a large SIM card made it even easier. I did however try the smaller SIM in an adapter, and yes it was tight, but just be careful, don't be cock handed and forceful. All in all it was good value, and as I got free unlimited DATA I found it very useful when I had no WIFI.
on 9 May 2016
Bought on a recommendation from a friend. Will not recognize any SIM that I insert, just keep on flashing the red LED which the manual tells me no SIM or SIM card not recognized. Tried different SIMs with same result, and also tested the SIMs in 2 different phones and they work fine. Sending back.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I purchase a Micro-SIM adapter so that I could swap the Micro-SIM from my Nexus 7 into this dongle - the dongle uses a standard size SIM.

Unfortunately the SIM slot is so tight that the adapter got completely stuck and I had to completely dismantle the dongle to remove the SIM adapter.

You may have more luck with a different type of SIM adapter - maybe one of the ones with a sticker on the back and therefore a flat back wouldn't snag in the SIM slot, but the safest option would be to just use a standard sized SIM in the first place.

[UPDATE: I purchased a regular sized SIM to try in this and it turns out that inserting and removing the Micro-SIM adapter has actually ripped three of the six copper contacts out if the SIM holder. Basically no SIM was detected so I disassembled again and took a closer look - completely irreparable! So, please heed my warning and do not use SIM adapters with this dongle - I am unable to review the item further due to mine being utterly broken! I've posted photos of the damaged dongle on the Amazon Micro-SIM adapter page]
on 3 December 2014
Few niggles when trying to connect but turned out ok. Just need to move home to get signal I desire.
on 5 June 2016
Excellent product, and arrived 5 days earlier than i had expected.
on 12 April 2016
Works best with TP-LINKTL-MR3020 portable adapter
on 7 March 2016
Poor reception, overheats and loses connection.
on 9 December 2014
Works as advertised (very easy setup on Fedora 20 Linux, and even on my Android tablet with the help of PPP2 Widget). Not tried it on Windows as I have no need to.