4.5 out of 5 stars1,079
Style Name: Pop-Up-Pirate/T7028|Change

on 9 September 2007
This game is great for kids. It's bright, it's fun, it's edgey (pirates!) it can entertain 2-4 at any one time. Bring it out when you're kids are having a party and it'll keep them quiet(ish) for a while.

I found it to be durable, the only worry is losing some of the swords which may be too small for the very young (or old).

There's no batteries = no extra cost and there's no staring at a screen. Great.
on 20 May 2001
A game for all ages from 1 and half up, yet still just as entertaining and challenging for the 70 year olds! Just put in your blade to try to make the pirate pop up,or play the opposite, put in your blade and hope he doesn't! Colour coded blades allow for upto four players/teams. Different blade hole each time produces winner/loser. Excellent fun and totally fair.
0Comment|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We played this game recently in a group of 4 with ages ranging from 6-98 and I must admit that I hadn't played it for years.

I was a bit skeptical at first however after about 15mins I (and many others) started to get into it.

The product itself and the supporting accessories are made of very good quality material given the price point and is nicely presented with a durable and quality feel to it.

The game itself is very easy to play and involves firstly lowering the pirate downwards as far as it goes and then distributing the swords evenly between all the players. Each player then takes it in turn to stick each sword into the barrel (stabbing the pirate in the process!) and the one that activates the sensitive spring mechanism will eject the pirate upwards and will be eliminated from the game. You then repeat the process and the person that manages to not activate it will remain and be declared the eventual winner.

The barrel changes the location of the spring sensitive slot each time so you never know where it's new location will be.

You can have between 2-4 players playing the game and we found that playing with 4 made the game a lot more effective.

You can play it at varying speeds although my elderly relative tested our patience on a number of occasions, especially when he was declared the winner!. My 6 year old cousin really enjoyed it and although this game targets the 4-8 age group, we found that it's a game that can be played by a wide range of people from all ages (above 4 ideally) from a number of different backgrounds. It was Exciting, Tense and A Barrel Of Fun.

We found that it was a great way to bond the family together and provide fun without sitting in a room ignoring each other whilst having our eyes glued to our Apple devices, TV and books.

Verdict: Exciting, Tense and A Barrel Of Fun

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks
on 19 December 2005
I saw this game originally on the UK show Supernanny. She had explained how much fun it is to play this as a family. I went ahead and purchased this and it is by far the funnest family game for my 2 and 4 yr old daughters. They absolutely love putting the swords in and seeing who can pop up the pirate first. Although I think the objest is to see who can last thelongest w/o popping the pirate. It is much more fun for my kids when the winner pops the pirate. I highly recommend this for anyone who is looking for a few laughs and quality time w/their kids.
on 16 November 2015
Terrible product as this is a counterfeit item received by myself and many other customers on a bargain buys forum. Tacky, cheaply made, doesn't look safe and breaks immediately. Avoid at all cost, this is not a genuine product and looks nothing like the picture!!!
review image
on 11 December 2007
this is a great toy and helped a lot in teaching my 3 year old daughter about taking turns and waiting for your own turn. Its very funny when the pirate pops up, and you can change the rules to make it that you have won, or you are out, when he pops up. Its easy for a young child to stick the swords in the barrel, you sometimes have to hold it steady but overall the toy is quite robust. Also my daughter liked counting all the swords and sorting them into different coloured piles. Overall a great family game that they dont get bored of.
on 26 April 2011
I think this is a great game. You can play it with quite a few players or a child on their own can enjoy seeing how long until the pirate pops up. It's still fun to play as an adult. I have bought a couple of these now as gifts and they have been well received.
on 15 January 2007
Bought this for my 3 year old nephew for xmas but my three o'clock everyone from my ten year old son to my 85 year old grandma had had a go!

A really fun, simple game that doesn't require any tricky construction and is easy to use.

A classic!
11 comment|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 November 2011
This is a classic game for 2-4 players I knew from years ago, and it's just as much fun as I remembered. Players choose a sword colour and take turns inserting swords until the pirate pops up. The "trigger" slot changes when you twist the pirate round so there is no danger of you remembering which slot to choose. Any age can enjoy playing and each game doesn't go on for more than a few minutes.

A word of warning though, when the pirate pops up, the eject mechanism is quite strong so make sure you don't have your face directly above him when you are putting swords in. And it does seem to make people jump at first as it goes with a fairly loud pop!
on 18 January 2008
This is so much fun, me and my 3 year old son love it. One of the best things about it is the fact that you dont need batteries. The suspense of the game it great and the pop up pirate makes us jump every time no matter how often we have played it. It is so easy to set up my son does it all and feels quite confident and important about that. Putting the swords in the barrel is good for a childs co ordination, counting them into equal groups of differnt colours for each player is also educational.
We love it and are glad we bought it anyway.