before i even start this review, i have to point out that im not the best game-player. im a 50 year old woman, not a 15 year old boy. im not interested in collecting every bit of treasure, executing every combo or playing in the hardest mode. i have a very hard job, and i find the gore and slaughter cathartic, but i also love a good puzzle, and while i cant deny, i have looked up ign guides in moments of frustration, i always play without a walkthrough, and just see where it takes me. this is possibly the longest, and most fun game ive played...way longer than any god of war, dantes inferno, lara or prince of persia, and while it has its frustrations, i really love it. here are my cons and pros.
1. you will spend an inordinate amount of time running around, particularly in the ashlands, not really sure what the hell you are meant to be doing. i dont really mind this, but if you are 15 and want to get the game over then it must be frustrating.
2. war doesnt jump particularly well, and you will plummet to your death loads of times if you have just played kratos.
3. the last battle with the destroyer..i did it first time. im sorry that just isnt hard enough! some last battles are just annoyingly difficult, and if you replay you just cant be bothered with them...but this was a doddle!
4. i found the changing between certain weapons, and particularly with the shadow mask a bit of a pain..he would bring out the horn when you wanted the grapple..or is that just me!
5. the first time i played it, it took 45 hours!
6. darksiders as a title is gash!
1. the first time i played it, it took 45 hours..the third time, 21!
2. i loved the timed trials he had to do...god that got my heart pumping! actually i found them some of the most difficult bits in the game..what larks! especially killing the enemies with environmental weapons..that means smashing 30 bastards with old cars in 1 minute. bloody magic! that is, if you can even find where the portals are to do so!
3. usually the fights involve 3 waves of, increasingly hard, enemies...but there is one in which there are 5..it took me a while to slaughter them all, but the feeling of achievement was overwhelming!
4. i kinda like the fact that you have to kill all the waves of enemies in a oner...or you have to go back the the beginning and start over...i know this is old ps1 and ps2 games..but the challenge is bigger.
5.the puzzles can be annoying, and many of the reviews slag the middle part of the game for them...but i loved them. if throwing lines of bombs, and igniting them with torches down a corridor, or redirecting light beams through, and between 2 huge buildings seems exciting to you, then i suggest you buy this.
6. its a huge game, and you can lose yourself, and your trivial working life, that you have to have in order to buy these games, in it. the graphics are just brilliant..distopian world vs biblical mythology. two of my favourites!
7. its really good fun..just dont let your neighbours hear you screaming 'just pick up the bomb and throw it...for gods sake..just throw it..oh, well...dead again!'