Customer Discussions > God of War 3 (PS3) forum

THIS annoys me

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Apr 2010 20:29:22 BDT
A staggering amount of reviews start with the following 'I never played the first God of War games, and God of War 3 is a bit of a let down..'
Who, with at least half a brain, would play Metal Gear Solid 4, without having played the first 2 instalments, and then complain they dont understand the storyline? There are so many twists, plot devices, in-jokes and running content in the God of War series, that to play God of War 3 first, is amazingly short-sighted, especially since the God of War collection has been available in the USA for months now (bought it to refreesh my mind, for the same price as the european version, free shipping, works on PAL ps3s)
Thoughts? Or am I over defending a series of games I basically grew up with?

Posted on 3 May 2010 02:50:52 BDT
i never finished the 2 games ( I and II ) on PS2 so thats why before buying III i decided to buy I and II first, and now when i have all i will start with I, II and finally III :)
the best thing to do

Posted on 7 May 2010 23:09:53 BDT
Avatouir says:
I disagree. I'd never even heard of God of War till 3 came out. Of course I thought the game was so fantastic I've since got the collection. So now I understand the back story a bit better. Even so much is explained in all 3 games so I never had any problems getting into the story despite starting at the third chapter.

Posted on 10 May 2010 04:42:43 BDT
Mr. D. Oso says:
Samuel you are not defending the game, people are that are retarded who start from trilogy without starting from number 1.

Posted on 12 May 2010 08:58:21 BDT
Playing them in order is recommended, because a) the story makes more sense, b) the games graphically improve so the gamer doesn't feel let down by stepping backwards, c) in terms of story the first one is best, and 2 is arguably better than 3 in many ways.

Posted on 3 Jun 2010 19:12:27 BDT
Gw Atkinson says:
But what if you buy all three games and not enjoy any of them, thats sixty quid down the toilet. I bought the third one and played GOW for the first time and did'nt like it at all, so I would have been super pissed off if I took your advice and bought all three.

Posted on 3 Jun 2010 23:14:30 BDT
So you bought God of War 3, then played God of War for the first time, and didn't like either (as your ambiguous comment leads me to conclude) However, you complain that my advice would cost you 'sixty quid', although if you had followed my advice, you would've only played the first one, not felt the need to play the next two, thereby saving yourself around forty pounds (although God of War Collection costs £17.91 and God of War 3 costs £29.99 as I write this, total cost £47.90, meaning that your maths is a bit out)
My original point, assuming you actually read it, was that you should play these games in sequence. I did not advocate 'buying all three'.
To re-iterate, do NOT play God of War 3 before playing the first two. You wouldn't watch The Return of the King, Godfather Part III or the final season of LOST without seeing what came before, you only cheat yourself out of an experience.

Posted on 12 Jun 2010 08:15:53 BDT
I played both I & II but that was before i sold my consoles and deicided to stick to PC from now on...its a terrible shame and a tragidy that it isnt for PC...i deeply loved the story and to not be able to see where it finishes is what annoys me. I'll have to see if any of my mates get it or have it and go smash through it at theirs hehe.

Posted on 19 Jun 2010 12:14:34 BDT
Avatouir says:
I would've played them in order but 3 got delivered first. But I did read about the story and there is a slight recap so it's not all bad.
Of course I do agree that it's best to play in order but not always necerssary. I didn't feel that Assassins Creed 1 did enough for it to be essential to understanding AC2 and you could bypass this chapter altogether
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  God of War 3 (PS3) forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  26 Apr 2010
Latest post:  19 Jun 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
God of War 3 (PS3)
God of War 3 (PS3) by Sony (PlayStation 3)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (178)