Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£14.99|
Save £14.00 (93%)
TALES FROM THE RIFLE BRIGADE: Adventures in the Rifle Brigade Random Shots From a Rifleman: "Adventures in the Rifle Brigade" AND "Random Shot Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Kincaid entered the Peninsular War in 1810, was present at its conclusion and fought a year later at the Battle of Waterloo. Sir Charles Oman described him as remembering all the 'grotesque incidents, ludicrous situations, practical jokes and misadventures'. His memoirs are a farcical and an anecdotal burlesque. There is almost something Dickensian about his writings (I have Pickwick Papers in mind here). There is also a 'devil may care' attitude and John Bull stridency running throughout. Kincaid I imagine, Baker rifle in tow, would cut a frightening figure in these politically-correct times.
He describes the officer's regulation sabre as 'better calculated to shave a lady's maid than a Frenchman's head'. His particular trait is pinpointing eccentric regimental characters such as the gentlemen volunteer who 'though he always went into battle with us...no one ever saw him again until it was all over''.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I've wanted to know what happened to Johnny Kincaid for years. Now I do!Published 6 months ago by Miss Sally V Fisher
An insight into life in the Peninsular war, very amusing. Written in the somewhat flowery language of the time, but non the worse for that. Very enjoyable.Published 7 months ago by JOHN E PORTER
Splendid tales of war with Wellington, written with a witty and acute eye by the real life inspiration forSharpe novels.Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer
The writing is from a different time and gives you a feel for that era. Lots of understated bravery which is typical of the British Army of the 1800's. Read morePublished 12 months ago by MCC
Good book again it's an area of history i have been reading for over 30 years i have a large library of napoleon ix books so this era is always of interest to me personally good... Read morePublished 18 months ago by Amazon Customer
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Industrial Revolution
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Peninsular War
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 19th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Napoleonic Wars
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > World