on 19 May 2013
I am a consultant in Back Up and Disaster recovery systems and I have been using Backup Exec in all its versions since 1996. This 'improvement' is the most appalling mess I have ever seen. I have just spent 3 weeks installing it for a customer and I still cannot offer them a reliable, manageable system. I am constantly logged in to their systems at night baby-sitting jobs that I should be able to trust to run without supervision.

The new user interface is counter-intuitive and requires much more work to set up and run jobs. The system options and other switches are lost under unnecessary layers of menus. The whole control process is frustrating and confusing. So far I have found that most changes to system options need all the Backup Exec services to be restarted, and any change to options while a job is running will cause the job to enter some sort of hung state where it never completes but can't report what its status is. This product is a major step backward from previous versions and should be avoided. If you have a previous DO NOT UPGRADE.

Don't just take my word for this - look at the opinions of other IT professionals at: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/28/backup_exec_2012_users/

Thanks for reading, I hope I've saved you a lot of trouble.