on 22 January 2010
This was exactly what I have been looking for - a pencil sharpener that you put your pencil into, let go, and turn the handle - it shaves the pencil until it gets to a perfect point, then stops shaving (even if you carry on turning the handle, so the kids can play with it as much as they like). It is just like the sharpener my teacher used to have clamped to her desk in the 80s. Not like a lot of auto sharpeners these days which are just normal sharpeners mounted on a motor.

I can't gush about this more highly! If you've got a box full of broken pencils they will all be sorted in half an hour, and you'll be scouring the house for more that you can fix.
0Comment|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2010
This beats all sharpeners: even electric ones! Easy to use, does not destroy tips and easy for kids.
on 19 November 2011
I bought this sharpener for my class of 7 and 8 year olds and it has been brilliant. We have been using it for over a year and it has continued to deliver beautifully sharp pencil points. It occasionally gets a lead stuck in it, but as it is easily dismantled a quick poke around with the tip of another pencil soon solves the problem. There is one major drawback, however, and that relates to the bench bracket; it simply isn't up to the task of securing the sharpener to a bench or table. I solved this by making a wooden holder which the sharpener slots into, but going to that length to make a purchase useable shouldn't be necessary. I would suggest that the bracket is perfectly adequate for home use by one or two children, but for regular use by 25+ children it is an unfortunate weak point in what is an otherwise excellent little device.
on 5 March 2010
Don't bother with those little cheapy plastic pencils sharpners, they only last a few pencils then you have top chuck 'em because they're blunt already! This is the one to get peeps! Only one thing to be aware of is that you must get carried away with turning the handle as your pencil will disappear really quickly into the shavings bucket! one turn and that should be it! Fantastic sharp, points.
on 1 November 2010
I've just clamped my sharpener to the desk and sharpened 22 pencils in 60 seconds.
How much fun can you have on a Monday morning!
It even stops grinding when the pencil is sharp.
Get one. Brighten your day.
on 27 August 2010
What a great gadget, simple, but the points I get on my pencils for my artwork are brilliant.
on 14 February 2011
I cannot recommend this product highly enough - it is fantastic! I was slightly confused as the same product is available at a higher price on amazon, under a slightly different description - but it seems to be the same product, only cheaper.I have never had such satisfaction sharpening pencils. Even cheap pencils which normally don't sharpen well get a sharp point. My kids fight over using it. It can be slightly fiddly if the lead breaks in the machine - you have to try and poke it out with a knife, and it's difficult to get at it, but this is a minor draw back to an otherwise amazing product. Wish I had bought it years ago - would have saved many a blister.
on 26 January 2011
This is fantastic. I have two kids who colour in and use pencils frequently. I always used to have to sharpen them with a fiddly little handheld sharpner or a knife alternatively. Now they can do it themselves and because the mechanism shaves the wood away its easier on the pencil and the tip wont break so easily. Plus its great for my eye liners too.
on 14 November 2012
My daughter of 5 years professes to be an artist, but despite owning somewhere in the region of 5,000 pencils she never seemed to have any that she could actually draw with. The wife's solution to that issue would always be to buy a new pack of pencils which would have their ends snapped off within 5 minutes of opening the pack.

I'd therefore be presented with a mound of pencils to sharpen every weekend. I'll be honest, I've got better things to do than sharpen pencils on the weekend. I only found one of those little sharpeners that worked well; but as soon as I'd bonded with it and developed an efficient process of sharpening the pencils the wife noticed and then she lost the sharpener. The usual snag with little sharpeners is that they can't get through the wood of most pencils very easily and end up snagging the lead and snapping it (this could be an issue with cheap pencils rather than the sharpener, but a cheap sharpener is bad on all pencils).

I did a bit of investigation and found this little beauty to have some good reviews and for sale for a very reasonable price (I wouldn't have bought this for the £22.96 it was apparently originally selling for). For £7.45 I now have a very good sharpener. It produces sharp points every time and doesn't lead to the snapping of leads of a small sharpener. Whilst it is made of plastic and isn't overly attractive, the mechanism is well made and the whole unit is solid and feels like it will last a good few years. The wife failed to break it when she decided to have a go; it fell off the kitchen table and onto the floor and didn't even come apart. I've now put some muscle behind tightening the bracket up so that the wife can't move it from the study.

The little bin can cope with about 25 pencils worth of shavings. The sharpener produces a lovely long point to any pencil and it is easy and intuitive to use. Owing to the long point, pencils do get shortened significantly on the first use and subsequently if the lead has been broken right back. Unless you have pencil thin fingers it is impossible to get them stuck or sharpened.

A great piece of kit for sharpening pencils quickly and effectively.
on 25 May 2015
I use the Swordfish for my coloured pencil art because I need very sharp points on my pencils. This is a very good pencil sharpener with a spiral cutter which creates long and needle sharp points. Importantly it does not stress the pencil while sharpening. The capacious compartment for shavings is easily removed and is big enough to allow you to sharpen a lot of pencils before it needs to be emptied. It's slightly awkward to use until you get used to it and then it becomes second nature. It even sharpens very small stubby pencils really easily.

Spiral cutters are by far the best method for sharpening pencils. The trick is to find one with an assembly around it that works well! This one does.

[UPDATE: Just ordered a second one as I'm smitten with this sharpener and I like to have the comfort of having a spare in reserve and to take away from home]
review image