From the Back Cover
Essential Skills -- Made Easy!
Learn to program with Swing -- the framework that defines the look and feel of the modern Java graphical user interface. In this fast-paced guide, master programmer and bestselling author Herbert Schildt shows you how to develop sophisticated user interfaces with Swing. The book begins by describing Swing's architecture, design philosophy, and core concepts. It then examines the Swing component set, which includes buttons, check boxes, lists, trees, tables, menus, scroll bars, spinners, and scroll panes, to name just a few. You'll learn the fundamentals of each component and the techniques needed to use it and then see examples that demonstrate the component in action. By the time you finish this hands-on guide, you will be able to start creating your own professional-looking Swing-based applications.
Designed for Easy Learning:
- MODULES -- Each concept is divided into logically organized modules (chapters), ideal for self-paced learning
- CRITICAL SKILLS -- Each module opens with the specific skills covered in the module
- MASTERY CHECKS -- End-of-module reviews test knowledge using short-answer and fill-in-the-blank questions
- ASK THE EXPERTS -- Q&A sections throughout are filled with bonus information and helpful tips
- PROGRESS CHECKS -- Quick self-assessment sections check your progress
- PROJECTS -- Practical exercises show you how to apply the critical skills learned in each module
- ANNOTATED SYNTAX -- Example code annotated with commentary that describes the programming techniques being illustrated
About the Author
Herbert Schildt is the author of dozens ofprogramming books, which have sold more than 3.5 millioncopies worldwide. His books are so widely used that it hasbeen said that he taught a generation of programmers toprogram. Schildt is an authority on C, C++, C#, and Javaand is an expert Windows programmer.