1. A Cursory Introduction.
2. Unlocking the Word Hoard: The Germanic Heritage.
3. Paynims and Charlatans: Swearing in Middle English.
4. Schismatic Vituperation: The Reformation.
5. Creativity and Suppression in the Renaissance.
6. Expansionism and Xenophobia.
7. The Reign of Decorum: Augustan and Victorian Attitudes.
8. Quakers to Convicts: Swearing in the New Worlds.
9. The Modern Explosion and its Accompanying Restraints.
10. Sexuality in Swearing.
12.1 Appendix A: Body Language.
12.2 Appendix B: Graffiti.
12.3 Appendix C: The Language of Comics.