Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 July 2015
While Swan Hunter will never get back to what it was at the height of the shipbuilding era, it's encouraging to see that millions are being spent on the site to bring in new maritime related manufacturing companies, which will see a new crane, industrial quay, heavy load access bridge & industrial units built by the end of 2015.
Now known as Swans Tyneside, the place looks like it could have a productive future.
on 20 March 2015
When I reviewed the Swan Hunter files at City Library nearly 2 years ago, I realised the name McIver Jenkin, M Jenkin was the same chap who offered me a job in London on 10 April 1987 - all I remember him asking is if I could make a cup of tea for him during the lunchbreak as he was diabetic at which point I said No thanks! Also according to newspaper cuttings there were 2 Union representatives since 1977 someone Scott, & Bill Green whom I recognised. The photos were excellent & the ships did have a distinctive elegance. I think I read about the shell-making workshop employing mainly women in Jacky Hyams Bomb Girls. So Newcastle did suffer German bombing raids. The importance of sport as a social & recreational activity was impressive. I loved the section on Ships & their Stories & I recall tv programme on the Laconia & Konigsberg. It surprised me there was still a Tory seat until 1997 (Tynemouth) when lost to Labour - I would have thought it long gone! Also didn't realise Cammell Laird had a yard at Hebburn.
on 27 September 2013
Brother in law worked in these ship yards many years ago. He was delighted with the book, along with Glory Days Swan Hunter
on 10 October 2013
I bought it for my dad who is 69 and served his time at the shipyards. Brought back fond memories.
on 3 May 2015
husband worked here and was most interested
on 8 January 2015