Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 September 2008
I lifted this book out of curiosity in the humour section of my local waterstones and sailed through the Wes Craven's introduction and the first chapter before racing to the till to purchase it.

This is one brilliant book, very, very entertaining, lots of hilarious cartoon illustrations through and a very funny and very engaging narrative style. Right down to the photo of the author on the back leaf of the wrap around cover.

The author uses a number of literary tricks to really draw readers into the book, its a lot of fun and much more than reportage of cleverly observed movie and genre cliches.

I loved the idea that discovering the book is an indication that you've been trapped in a horror movie, your only hope of survival to the end credits being the clues in the rest of the book. Fantastic idea that and you can bet that if Ash Williams was reading something other than The Necronomicon in The Evil Dead it was this.

A great, great book which doesnt fail to raise the laughs and provide the satisfaction that The Worst Case Scenario books and Zombi Survival guid should have. A real page turner. Buy one for yourself, then some for your friends.
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2007
This book is brilliant if you are a fan of horror movies or parody's (as I am of both). It is an ingenious and hillarious guide to surviving whichever horror movie you have found yourself in (which you will be able to determine from chapter 1). I can't recomend this book highly enough - PLEASE BUY IT!!

I myself was recently trapped in a horror movie, and if you are too, this book is a must have if you want to survive, letting you know all the tricks and traps to avoid the killer/monster/possesed thing.
Chapter One includes:
How Do I Know If I'm In A Horror Movie?
How Do I Know What Type Of Horror Movie I'm In?
C.R.A.V.E.N
The Seven Deadly Horror Movie Sins
How To Survive A Horror Movie High School

Once you know which horror movie you have become trapped in, each of the following chapters offers help for a particular type of horror movie.

FROM THE BACK OF THE BOOK:
. Are you reading this book at a summer camp?
. Are you reading this book in a cornfield?
. Are you reading this book at an abandoned mental institution?
. Does music crescendo every time you open a door?
. Are there any Japanese children in your bathroom?
. Do all of your "friends" look suspiciously like the cast members from "Smallville" and "The Gilmore Girls"?
. Have you, wthin the last twenty-four hours, accidently killed a hobo or a socially challenged classmate and then hid the corpse so that no one will ever find out?
If you answered "yes" to three or more of these questions, you are most deffinatly trapped in a horror movie - and you need to read this book.

A brilliant book which I would recommend to anyone.
on 10 November 2009
A brilliant tongue in cheek look at the horror genre with references to all the major horror franchises from Friday the 13th to the Saw films.

Taking the view that the reader is trapped in a horror movie it guides you through the obstacles that you will come across starting with identifying which kind of movie you are in such as slasher, demonic, haunted house and vampires. The author then picks apart each one of the horror stereotypes that we have come to love (or hate) such as the dangers of investigating a strange noise and making out in a car parked in the middle of nowhere!

It appears to take the lead from the `Rules of a scary movie' that were made famous by Scream but goes that one step further. A great read for any horror film lover that will put a smile on your face. I cannot recommend it enough.
on 25 February 2008
I found this book browsing a book store and purchased it after quickly flipping through it. Apparently this means i am indeed, trapped in a horror movie (why can i never get trapped in a planet of the amazon women movie?) and by buying it online- you too are doomed into this 'terrorverse'. But fear not, as this book will help you dodge the reaper and his band of 'helpers'. Imagine if Max Brooks 'zombie survival guide' didnt take itself as seriously, the book laughs with and at the horror cliches at the same time, with Seth Grahame Smith poking fun at them but also with a fondness for them. establishing what sub genre of horror film your in to performing exorcisms and even taking down satan himself (and my personal fav- what to do if your corn has children in it) this book will be read cover to cover in the space of a day.
on 15 February 2010
This book is incredibly well written, as well as being highly entertaining.I brought it to the office and everyone wanted a loan of it!!
I bought "price and prejudice and zombies" from the same author and im really looking forward to it.
on 7 March 2012
Having pondered for many a year whether I am living in a horror movie, I decided to take a stab in the dark (pardon the pun, it was fully intentional), and purchase this book to confirm once and for all whether this was indeed the case, and if so how best to survive.....

I found the information on how to deal with demonic cars and Zombies particularly helpful, as I frequently find myself battling these terrors during the rush hour, and with the help of this tome now know the best way to defend myself against a supernatural intruder in my home is not in skimpy underwear armed with just random fruit.

If you have ever wondered why none of the stereotypical ways characters in a horror movie employ to defend themselves never work, then this is definately the book for you...
on 8 July 2013
I do like this book, it's highly amusing to read when you're a horror fanatic like myself, it describes all the different types of horror films, and if you're a true fan you'll recognise all the specific films they are talking about as you read.
It's a good bit of fun, not an epic novel, you'll have finished it within 2 days, but it does what it says on the tin :]
on 3 February 2013
This is a really easy read and very, very funny. If, like me, you are a fan of the genre, you are really going to appreciate this witty breakdown of it. Fun and educational - now I know how to survive anything the Terrorverse might throw at me in the future
on 20 January 2014
I really loved this book, I could not put my kindle down. It captured my attention, it was witty and the humour is deliciously dark. Overall, amazing book, you need to buy it! :)
on 12 April 2014
Expected more of a satire but got a rather lame alternative reality nonsense instead. Expected more from this author. Just watch scream instead.