Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2011
Ever since I read the title and synopsis of this book I couldn't wait to read it! It is a subject me and a friend have talked about many times about possible plot ideas for Supernatural and it became a reality!
After reading the previous three books (War of the Sons, One Year Gone and Coyote's Kiss) I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book as much as I did. I found the other three to be greately disappointing in both plot, character building and the over all telling of the story but John Passarella revived my hope for any SPN books that may be to come in the future.
It took me longer than usual to read this book because I had to work it around my work shifts but had I not needed to work I would have read this in one sitting. I found John's story telling and grammar a vast improvement on the previous books, he kept me gripped into the story and the nightmares characters were having could easily be a refelection of many people's fears (mine would have been the spider xD).
The characters in this book were believable and not too Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu like unlike in previous books, in my opinion.
As well written as Night Terror was my only complaint would be that it would have been nice if there was just a tiny bit more focus on the nightmares of the Winchesters. I would have also liked to have more focus and length on the fight between Soulless Sam and Dean towards the end instead of the page and a half (roughly).
But all in all this was a great book and I would definately recommend it for any Supernatural fan, the brother's relationship was back on track and it was like watching an episode.
on 3 April 2012
Girlfriend bought me this for Valentines day as she knew i loved supernatural and not long finished the "One Year Gone" Supernatural book - which is by far the best book i have ever read to be honest. To rate the book has to be 5 stars; amazing writing, images you get while reading the book is brilliant, not too technical or confusing when reading (not like a science part in the Jurassic Park). Not finished the book yet to be fair but its a good book so far and i doubt my expectations will decline as the book goes on as after all it is Supernatural which is a fantastic TV Series.
A novel based on the tv show Supernatural [and since the only people who are likely to read this will be fans of the show, there's no need to go into detail about that] telling an all new story for the Winchester brothers that hasn't been presented before in any other medium.

It runs for three hundred and eighty one pages and is divided into thirty three chapters plus a prologue.

It takes place in between two episodes in the final third of the sixth season of the show. Thus there are some minor details that will come as as spoilers to those who haven't gotten that far with watching the series. If you fit into that category, then read no further, and don't pick up the book till you do.

Otherwise, read on.

The book sees Sam and Dean visit a town called Clayton Falls. A town which has seen some tragic events in the past year. And a place where people's dreams are coming to life. Unfortunately it's their bad dreams. People are being menaced by monsters and a driverless car, and all of these have a habit of disappearing into thin air.

The issues of the recent time when Sam had no soul still linger with Sam and Dean. But they have this case to solve. But as the strength of whatever is causing these troubles seems to get more powerful by the moment, they have a fight on their hands if they're going to save the town.

Licensed franchise fiction of this kind can't do anything to effect the continuity of the show. All it can do is present a story for the main characters that will hopefully be as good as the best of the tv episodes. This novel turns out to be an above average entry in this range. It's a long one at just under four hundred pages but it does take a decent amount of time to present it's setting and it's supporting characters. Even those who don't figure for very long are given a good amount of depth. And it gets the two lead characters exactly right also.

It uses it's medium to the fullest by bringing in scenes that are on a scale that the tv show would struggle to reproduce them even with CGI, and it keeps the reader guessing long enough as to what's really going on here thus you keep turning the pages desperate to find what the truth is.

The final quarter of the book does involve a very large scale finale to the story, and yet this does end rather abruptly in the final ten pages. But that's only a minor complaint.

This an above average entry in this series of books and one that should keep fans of the show more than happy whilst waiting for the next episode.
on 23 November 2011
I am a huge huge fan of Supernatural, and never miss an episode. But only just found out, not long ago, that there are Supernatural books. And of course been as obsessed as I am, I was thrilled to find out! This is my third Supernatural book, and so far the best! I will be defiantly looking out for more by this author. The author captures Dean and Sam's characters perfectly, he never misses the chance to add in Dean's little sly remarks and cocky comebacks, and Sam's puppy dog mannerisms. The plot is very fun!.. Some very dark scenes, which of course Supernatural is known for. Excellent detail.. so much that at one point I was hiding behind my quilt while reading. Then there is the funny scenes, which again Supernatural is also known for. And in this book there are a lot of giggles! So I recommend this to any Supernatural fans, weather you are just starting out on Supernatural (trust me, before long you'll be as obsessed as I am). or weather you are indeed a huge freak of a fan like me.. You will all LOVE this book.
on 14 July 2014
I chose it as now that the show has stopped for a few months I wanted some more supernatural, although I was a bit sceptical, this book was really tense and scary just like the earlier seasons of supernatural and also briefly included the storyline of season 6. this is my second supernatural fiction and it was very intense and very long which was good for its money. it's also a bit different from usual supernatural episodes but in a really good way. I recommend this book to any supernatural fans and I think it's better than the season 7 written book!
on 15 October 2011
This book was a really good horror story from start to finish. The characters were well written and characterisation was excellent. The story revolves around a town which is being beseiged by nightmares which have become reality. The nightmares themselves are grotesque and horrifying, and really add a nice touch to the overall horror story.
on 21 October 2011
I've read all the books that tie-in to the Supernatural TV series and this one is by far the best. The author seems to have better understanding of the Sam and Dean characters and has produced a good story in keeping with the show. All the books are by different authors but I hope this writer does some more.
on 12 March 2016
This is one of the better written supernatural novels and I think John captures Sam and Dean Winchester's personalities very well. Night terror is a horror story and contains violence and anyone who isn't familiar with the supernatural TV series may not enjoy this. A great story.
on 16 September 2012
Could anyone help..ive jus discovered the supernatural books (yea i know where have i been haha) and am a massive fan of the tv series but am not sure which of the books to get first? Just need to know what order to buy them in really....
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2014
Loved this one, plenty of action and an accurate portrayal of Sam and Dean, would highly recommend it...my only complaint cos that the story jumps about a bit but otherwise a good read