Is Quad Super Deluxe Box worth the asking price?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Sep 2011 21:39:43 BDT
Who Fan says:
Is it worth buying the box set (currently priced at £70.99) if you don't have a 5.1 system? For just £11.93 (currently), you can get the "Deluxe Edition" - Quadrophenia.

The Deluxe Edition will contain the newly remastered Quadrophenia plus eleven demos:

The Real Me - Pete Townshend
Cut My Hair - Pete Townshend
The Punk - Pete Townshend
The Dirty Jobs - Pete Townshend
Is It In My Head? - Pete Townshend
Any More - Pete Townshend
I've Had Enough - Pete Townshend
Drowned - Pete Townshend
Is It Me? - Pete Townshend
Doctor Jimmy - Pete Townshend
Love Reign O'er Me - Pete Townshend

We seem to be being asked to fork out nearly sixty quid more for the box, to receive one more CD of demos, a repro vinyl single of 5:15, a "selection" of 5.1 tracks and some paperwork. If this was going to be a limited edition, it might be worth paying the extra but I'm having serious misgivings about this set.

Posted on 15 Sep 2011 06:56:43 BDT
If I had the choice, I would just buy the 5.1 surround EP separately and forget everything else.

Posted on 14 Oct 2011 08:13:29 BDT
DJ Control says:
Just like the "Live At Leeds" box set this will be a limited edition.Place a pre-order now or be at the mercy of third party sellers when the stock runs out!

Posted on 20 Oct 2011 20:05:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Oct 2011 20:05:40 BDT
Delano says:
There were plans to actually do the whole of Quadrophenia in 5.1. but Pete Townshend just 'got bored' (his own words!) with it and never finished the project. (By the way: isn't it strange they let someone who's all but completely deaf do a remix let alone a 5.1 mix? Just observing.)
So what you'll get for your cash is a re-master of the original mix, demo's and bits of an abandoned project stuffed down your throat. And it's all music you, as a Who fan, will already own one way or another. That's how they value the record buying public (yes, we ARE their bread and butter).
As a singer once remarked: "ever got the feeling that you've been cheated?".
I have.

Posted on 14 Nov 2011 03:10:30 GMT
Vivek Date says:
If you're a 'Religious Who follower'. then this boxset is a Treasure chest for you.. 5.15 record, 5.1 DVD, DEMO TAPES among the other things! I mean, i might be exaggerating it a little, maybe because Quadrophenia indeed was a 'Way of Life' back in my teens (2 years back haha) so, its more or less a part of me. I'd be happy to pay twice the amount for the boxset since its value (to me) is priceless! :-)
But, yea.. there are other options too... like Deluxe boxset or Vinyl boxset or CDs + 5.1 DVD boxset .. all of which are considerably cheaper than this one..
but i would say, spend on something worth spending.. save up for it! (smoke one less cigarette a day, skip a couple of dates, postpone shopping to next month etc etc :) )
Also, eagerly looking forward to next year's Quadrophenia tour!

Posted on 14 Nov 2011 13:17:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Nov 2011 13:17:32 GMT
PJ says:
Buy it. High quality, 5.1 is great, lots and lots of demos. I have practically every version of this , from MFSL to original vinyl to the different remasters and this is worth having. As someone said, it'll only cost a packet later on.

Posted on 21 Nov 2011 10:03:46 GMT
DJ Control says:
Got mine today,worth every cent.Manner from Who Heaven. The 5.1 is DVD-A MLP 96/24k and sounds amazing!

Posted on 22 Nov 2011 21:26:28 GMT
Cashbox says:
can somebody run through all the surround sound track format options in this box set? Is there a DTS track? Im not sure my ps3 will output DVD-A to my Receiver.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2011 00:16:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2011 00:24:03 GMT
DJ Control says:
Hi Cashbox, Yes there is a dts track which is also 96/24,for those without a dts decoder there is only a stereo pcm option. Hope that helps.Cheers Stephen.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  14 Sep 2011
Latest post:  23 Nov 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Quadrophenia (Super Deluxe Edition)
Quadrophenia (Super Deluxe Edition) by The Who (Audio CD - 2011)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (30)