Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 2 August 2010
There's something about this book that lifted it above the sum of its parts and meant that I enjoyed more than I expected. I can't quite put my finger on what I liked - it wasn't particularly either the hero or heroine - but perhaps it's more down to the overall idea, that a career woman can return to her dusty hometown in Ohio and rediscover what's good about small-town life.

Part of what's good is the local Policeman Mike Romo, although initially things aren't promising. It doesn't help that there's a family feud between the Romos and the Farris family, so when Rachel Farris first meets Mike Romo she's not inclined to like him. However a physical attraction soon turns into something more and she starts to rediscover a different world, one in which she just might want to live.

What was unusual about this book was that there was no `baddie' as such and not even any great misunderstanding between hero and heroine. It was all quite gently written with the characters slowly learning about each other and re-evaluating their priorities and past mistakes. There was plenty of sex in this book - perhaps a bit more than necessary - and this is part of my problem with both characters, who seem fairly egocentric. I also wasn't too keen on the fact that a sign of Mike's mellowing was that he was now able to break the law and to let Rachel off when she was speeding - I felt this rather diminished his `good guy' status if he could do favours for his lover and he himself ignored some of his principles.

Still, this book was a good read and its gentle pacing make it right for a quiet day.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book (c) Helen Hancox 2010