Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 October 2010
I'm a professional programmer and so have a good knowledge of logical systems. Unfortunately, electronics stretched my understanding of Physics to the limit - until I read this. I have read 3 other books on Amazon, all with at least 4 stars, and this one would chew each one up if it had legs and teeth. Although slightly dated, it's a brilliant read. It's by the same author of Electronics for Today and Tomorrow (which is more of an A-Level textbook) and covers the important information, right from the start. If you are struggling to understand electronics, I would highly recommend this book - the writing is so much clearer and complete when compared with competing books.
on 3 September 2012
The Major difference with this book is that it really teaches in careful details with 'simple worked examples'(i.e tested circuits) the basics of electronics right from the first chapters. Mr Duncan proves to have the required understanding and ability to impart his knowledge of the subject by starting the book with a comprehensive explanations of electricity and magnetism, which really are the nucleus(fundamentals) of electronics, no electricity no electronics, of course. But also each electronic component is treated individually in its own chapter, thereby eliminating any possible confusions, before dealing with advanced circuits.

Finally, the exercises at the end of each chapters are so devised that they boost ones understanding of everything taught beforehand, plus the answers at the back of the book make ones progress verifiable.

Thanx to all the eight previous reviewers to whom i'm grateful for buying this book, which otherwise I probably wouldn't, as the book is an old one, but which finally is still the best introductory guide to electronics so far.

One word of caution though to the newcomers to the field: one can't expect to read the book chapter after chapter and understand each and every concept that easily one after the other! Time and effort in studying, understanding and practising is of essence! But this book is definitely one of a kind!
on 5 May 2007
I am studying the A level WJEC Electronics course which they recommend and I do to. It provides a great fundamental understanding of electronics and it applications. Also to help you remember what you are learning it provides revision questions at the end of each chapter to reinforce your knowledge and understanding of electronics. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn about electronics; however a good knowledge of maths is required for some of the sections as they involve a hefty amount of equations that sometimes can be confusing. Overall a great purchase :D
on 19 April 2001
It really is all in there, right from the very begining, the humble electron all the way and in every field, dynamite. If your credit card has GBP left on it, don't throw it away on beer, buy this book. NOW.
on 1 October 2010
I bought this whilst on holiday and read it in preference to Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". This book gets you off to a running start whilst taking the time and trouble to make it possible to understand exactly what all those electrons are up to and why that makes the components in each circuit behave the way they do. It seems to lose some depth toward the end and circuit descriptions become less detailed, but by that point I'd already ordered a breadboard and some components so I could try them all out for myself. Next stop, an oscilloscope for Christmas!
on 16 January 2008
Ive just been given a reading list for my Higher National Certificate in mechanical engineering and ive ignored every electrical textbook on there in favour of this one, saving me some well earned money. Quality rather than quantity.
Having used this from my A-levels and knowing from first hand experience just what an amazing resource this book is, i know that i dont need a pile of textbooks 3 feet high for this subject, this one book covers it all in enough detail to get you by.
If your doing GCSE, A level or higher, or just pootling about as a hobby, i recommend this. Its got the basics to the specifics, all clearly worked out along the way.
The others in my class bought other books from the reading list and they're not getting the same results as i am with this
A great book, a must have in my opinion
on 19 August 2006
I started and quit an electronics course because I couldn't get my head round it. About a year later I picked up this book, and started to read and to my amazement. I understood it. Just goes to show sometimes a well written book can beat an established Uni course on teaching skills.
on 27 February 2014
If you needed a reminder of some electronics fundamentals, or you don't understand digital circuits or maybe you want to know why exactly a capacitor holds charge from an atomic perspective... this is the you want, I haven't completely read through this book but let me tell you it has done an amazing job for me so far, the book explains from the roots, provides worked examples as well as problems to test your own knowledge with, with topics spanning from analogue components and circuits to digital to even computers and microprocessors. I cannot give enough credit to John Murray for writing this rather small but fully packed book, this is definitely a must have book for anybody who want to get into electronics!
on 16 January 2009
This book was recommended by a friend who liked books written in plain english and noy in jargon. having read the book myself, i had to agree. the book was written by a graduate who appeared to see the rift in academia and decided to bridge that gap; a skill he is clearly gifted in. The book uses plain english and covers as much depth more most mere mortals without causing more confusion than learning. It was a pleasure to read this book and I would recommend this book to anyone studying electronics at any level. A true work of art.
on 21 February 2016
A really good book. Covers all the basics and gives you a solid grounding in Electronics. If you haven't got this book and your just starting out get it now! It really will help you out. On the down side the cover isn't a hard backed cover so its easy for it to get dog eared from over use. Although a downside I really enjoyed the book and it just shows how often I use it. It will always have a place on my bookshelf.