Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop Suki Ad Campaign Pieces Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now Halloween Pets Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Learn more Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Sep 2010 21:08:04 BDT
Fleurbleue says:
Is it so difficult to tell us if there are or not subtitles in the dvd's ??
If some of you agree with me, can you help me with your
advice ???

A spanish girl lost in translation

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2010 18:33:59 BDT
Trixie says:
I have the same problem (English not my native tongue). I can't believe how, being Amazon's the best site in the world, it cannot provide such information. A pity!

Posted on 11 Oct 2010 20:44:49 BDT
Fleurbleue says:
Alló Trixie , I have recently remarked that there are some improving by the sideof Amazon in this question. Although
since I am very interested in this subject I am trying to be objective and I have also realized that in the back of some
dvd's there is NO INFO AT ALL on subtitles, the only help I have found is asking to DVD, I have got a
good info from them.
Hope this will help you too. Best regards, fleurbleue

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2010 22:04:02 GMT
Trixie says:
Thanks, Fleurbleue. This helps. I can tell you about some of the best series I've bought lately which do have English subtitles: Inspector Morse, Lewis, New Tricks,and Waking the Dead.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2010 18:05:20 GMT
Letty says:
English is not my native tongue too and I'm very interested about the same information. I have seen on an another webside that this DVD contains subtitles "English for the hearing impaired"

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2010 18:21:50 GMT
Apicula says:
English Subtitles are available.
Greetings to all the customers who are interested in Downton Abbey. It's a wonderful Series! I love it!

Posted on 14 Nov 2010 12:03:50 GMT
Viking says:
I have just bought Downton Abbey as a Christmas present for my Mother who is Danish. I wonder if anone could inform me if the DVDs offer the option of Danish subtitles please?
Kim, MK

Posted on 15 Nov 2010 18:53:03 GMT
Fleurbleue says:
Tks very much to Trixie, Letty and Apicula your info is very important for me. Excuse my delay replying but in the meantime I have
moved to Spain.... long and tired journey ... but finally I am looking for "the rain in Spain". I have bought a lot of englishseries since
receiving the orders in France is more comfortable for me, therefore i will try to tell you if there are or not subtitles , is that ok
for you ???
Kind regards to all of you.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2010 22:16:51 GMT
Apicula says:
Hello all the "Fair Ladies" ;o)
The discussion board is possibly the best invention on the sites of amazon. A pity, although!

Ther are ONLY the English subtitles on this DVDs. No other languagea available (subtitles).

Sabine (Austrian living in Germany)

Posted on 18 Dec 2010 22:33:45 GMT
Sylvia Page says:
Downton Abbey - Series 1 [DVD]Subtitles in English are very helpful for us as my husband is profoundly deaf and without subtitles he cannot contemplate watching TV or DVDs. The information on this subject is vital and without it we can't order anything. However, the BBC assure me that any DVD from BBC programs will have English subtitles for hearing impaired. This does not apply to ITV programs like Downton Abbey, but I notice that now includes this information wherever they can.

Posted on 20 Dec 2010 18:37:57 GMT
Fleurbleue says:
Good evening to everybody ! I have seen that amazon has included in several dvd's info, the subtitles .... for me english subtitles for HOH are
good enough. I see that a lot of you no english native or HOH are always looking for the subtitles as I do, view that I have bought a lot
of series (Iam fond of them ...) I will try to put if there are or not subtitles, and I hope this will add you all. Tks for your kind replies and
have a better new year ....

Posted on 30 Apr 2011 23:02:15 BDT
Marie Durand says:
Thank you to you all from a French customer!
When will amazon give systematically information about subtitles in every DVD?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2011 10:31:12 BDT
Fleurbleue says:
They have improved a little bit ..... some of the new series and movies have
the mention of subtitles !!!
Marie I have bought a lot of period series, if you need info please ask me.

Posted on 1 May 2011 10:48:08 BDT
Fleurbleue says:
That's me again ! Apart from the fact that Amazon would have to mention always if there or not HOH subtitles to help his customers, I have noticed that sometimes there is people asking for subt. info who has no
reply at all !!!! They ask for help from 2009 ........ and nobody answers ! this is not nice at all .......
Since this is the most recent period series - Downton Abbey - the people visiting this little forum can
ask me for other subtitles, if I have them I promise a prompt answer !!
Best regards

Posted on 2 May 2011 01:25:39 BDT
Marie Durand says:
I'm taking your offer: Do you know if "When The Boat Comes In : Complete BBC Collection" comes with subtitles? Thank you in advance

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2011 21:06:59 BDT
Fleurbleue says:
Dear Marie, When I tried to buy this collection, I found some info about subtitles :
apparently series 1 and 2 have subtitles, however series 4 , not at all. This made me
to forget the purchasing of it.
One of the "astuces" I have found to get info on subtitles is writing the word "subtitles" on the "Search customer review", at the right side of the page
with all the comments from customers. Most times they mention if there are or not
subtitles. For instance pls try this with the "When the boat comes in", you will see
that several customers have mentioned the info I have passed to you. Hope this
has been useful for you.
Pls contact me whenever you want, I'll be pleased to help, if I can of course .......
Best regards,

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2011 22:56:42 BDT
Marie Durand says:
Thank you very very much for this helpful hint. However it's not evident what serie has subtitles. As I am still in doubt I'll not purchase this box set. Thank you again fleur bleue

Posted on 25 Sep 2011 00:55:46 BDT
R. Zumbado says:
the series only comes in English subtitles... which is a real pity because it seems many people that don't speak the language want to watch it. It's not Amazon's fault but the people that put out the dvd.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 02:46:49 GMT
Agnes Rivera says:
I wish Amazon would have accurate information regarding subtitles. There are over 35 million Spanish speakers in the US plus all the people who buy from Amazon from other countries (like me). Amazon is not even trying to reach this market.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 02:51:40 GMT
Agnes Rivera says:
I have purchased DVDs that do have subtitles but sometimes Amazon does not list this information in the description. I think if they had more accurate information they would sell more.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  25 Sep 2010
Latest post:  29 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Downton Abbey - Series 1 [DVD]
Downton Abbey - Series 1 [DVD] by Hugh Bonneville (DVD - 2010)
4.7 out of 5 stars (733)